Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours tree blocking sunlight - possible options

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don't contact your insurance company about it! There's nothing they can do except decide that your house is at greater risk, and you know what that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

That's a good point about the insurance company viewpoint - it would strengthen the argument for the courts to grant a work order if the insurance company had concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats a fair point, but, with insurance, they may decide the proximity of a large tree should have been notified to them. They seem to try to win either way.

It looks like there is nothing they can do

https://www.chill.ie/blog/rules-around-cutting-a-neighbours-trees/#:~:text=When%20this%20is%20the%20case,the%20height%20of%20the%20trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭JVince

so what part of the first line of your original post did I misread?

"Neighbours tree blocks all the sunlight to my garden from about 6pm onwards"

I'm simply saying that trying to claim loss of solar power is not a good enough or valid excuse.

But maybe you just want to hear people say what you want to hear and those who will tell you that your argument is totally valid and you should take your neighbour to the cleaners because you are 100% right and your neighbours are 100% wrong.

The problem with only wanting to hear people who agree with your flawed argument is that it will get you no-where. And your response probably shows why the neighbour responded in the manner they did

Good-luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the neighbours tree did fall against your house, your own insurance company would instruct you to claim off your neighbour's insurance, i would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Would they not have had to notify the insurers of a possible issue before renewing the policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

If you read the full OP you would also have read 'I'd also like to get solar panels in the future but there will be no point given the shade cast on my roof'. Trees can shade the garden and roof - do I really need to explain this.

As I've already said I'm not interested in hearing about the rights and wrongs - I'm interested in what I asked about in my OP. Granted, some posters have given me some other things to think about and I'm grateful for that.

And that's not simply what you said - you said I should update my knowledge of how solar panels work (when what you claim is wrong btw), faux outrage about solar panels not working and now you're claiming my argument is flawed - I'm not making an argument and I'm not looking for anyone to tell me I'm right (or wrong for that matter). So maybe rock-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭geographica

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭JVince

I suggest you read back on your posts.

You very much claimed that one of the reasons (actually it reads like it was a primary reason) you had for getting the tree cut was because solar panels would not work in a shade.

They will and they will work at up to 80% efficiency on a bright cloudy day once installed by an installer that can see there is potential shading (which is exactly what the article you linked to said - but you forgot to read that paragraph)

They work best in direct daytime sun - and unless the tree is 50m high, there is ZERO blocking of the daylight sun looking at your photo. A small affect on evening sun that does not have the same potency and even then it will be only on the few sunny evenings.

And as I said much much earlier before you got the hump - I'm very SIMPLY pointing out that this is not a valid argument for you to use. It will be proven otherwise by any half competent person in minutes

Advertisement