Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Room 25m2 - Rental Query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,820 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not sure why people don't just get planning, seeing at 88% of planning applications are granted, and 40% plus of the remainer were appealed and then granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What did the solicitor say the cons of asking for one were? Seems like pretty bad advice to give up leverage like that.

As for the meath house, a few hunderd? LMFAO. You might want to google the case history. It's a lot of that the occasional ABP appeal.
    They've been to the high court on more than a few occasions. Paying for solicitors, barristers etc. They've sank a lot. Plus the cost of the house. Currently it's worth zero. The high court has issue an order to demolish, they are clutching at straws at this stage.

Many of those have planning. There are numerous planning and retention applications granted.
    Don't believe everything you hear when gossiping with neighbours.

There's no rules against having a party.

Garden rooms for use by the house are permitted. As are habitable spaces, with planning. Most of these rooms build are compliant. That's how the companies stay in business. Pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭SharkMX

We could be going around all day quoting the "rules". I thin everyone here knows that these habitable "garden rooms" are all over the place without planning and noone actually cares apart from the internet "oh you cant do that" finger waggers. But guess what? People are doing it and being allowed to do it.

If a landlord cant get someone who has wrecked their house and paid no rent out if the person refuses to cooperate, then the chances of getting someone to knock down their 25sqm "garden room" are slim to none. And the suppliers are going from strength to strength. Some are even offering them with solar panels now too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

FOI to your local Planning Enforcement Section would answer that.

You could also ask the number of complaints that related to habitable structures without planning as many get removed before enforcement is served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,880 ✭✭✭✭muffler

" being allowed to do it"

Seriously? I think you just lost whatever little bit of credibility you had with that comment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

A shed, garden room, home office etc are all the sam class. No planning required to convert an existing original shed to use as a games room, home office or storage IMO.

I think we all know what the OP is asking. Its not like its not clear or anything.

Dont get me wrong. Im all for planning regulations and i think they should be tighter in fact.

But all I am doing is pointing out the reality. The rules just arent enforced, and they are not interested in enforcing them. Thats why these places are popping up everywhere. And people are coming on quoting the rules like they actually make a difference to what people can do with these things.

So if you checked them then point them all out and link to the planning for each one then?

Im sure the odd one has planning but most of them certainly do not.

Or are you just wagging the finger again?

Next you'll be telling us you checked the planning for all the "garden rooms" people are living in all over the place and they have planning too.

• Advertisement

Lol! You're the guy who made the accusation so you post up links to prove that they don't have permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

So, what happens with property tax. Are they not separate properties? Will revenue look for a chunk of tax and fines down the line? Still be cheaper than renting elsewhere.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

What about changing a shed pitch roof to a flat roof to increase internal volume, but not changing the outside overall height.

For it to be exempt a flat roof cannot exceed 3 metres in height. A pitched roof can go up to 4 metres high while retaining the exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

All this structural info is available online and it's simple to read.

All the planning info is online.

All the planning applications are online.

If people did an iota of research then we'd save ourselves the pointless back and forth.

Ah well I done that to a block shed 11 years ago, not with the intention of trying to avoid rules, it was needing a new roof, so decided to build walls up higher, and create a flat foot, as to have more volume. I never heard anything about it being rule breaking.

I knew thats what you would say but you are the one who said you already checked the planning :) You didnt check it at all did you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭blackbox

You might be able to let it out as an office or artists studio or for people to use for games as long as they don't stay overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Yes, the OP wants to erect a non habitable garden room that is fully habiitable, and can be rented out on airbnb.

@Padre_Pio reply in post 7 answers the question asked.

What would you estimate the chances of repercussions if they didnt get planning or register it?

I would say zero chance of repercussions.

Much like if before 2015 you committed the crime of Blasphemy. Nothing would happen to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Simple answer is I don't know.

However, whether there is a slim chance or no chance does not impact/negate the need to seek planning for the structure and intended use. Not doing so because others have got away with it or whatever is not a valid exemption in planning legislation.

Advising the OP to proceed without planning is bad advice.

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

Im not advising anything. Im stating that you are supposed to have planning if its for habitation but that nothing will happen even if you dont have planning.

While others are fond of quoting rules and telling the OP they will lose money and have to knock it down, knowing that is simply not true.

Up to the OP how to proceed.

There are of course many habitable rooms/dwelling that should have planning that are in breach. But there are less than you are making out.

You pointed to garden rooms being sold as an indicator of all the unauthorised development. When in reality, most of the rooms sold do not require planning.

You also gave an address, and claimed all the holiday rentals were unauthorised development. And that was also false, a quick search shows that the street is literally full of holiday home grants. And yes, I did check the planning maps, it's trivial to do so.

The fact is you see a garden rooms around, and assume they are all unauthorised. Not the case.

They might get away with it. But it's not zero risk. Some body air BnBing a garden room without authorisation isn't going to draw attention to it online, there is an obvious reason for that.

You could raise a shed roof from 2.4m up to 3m, still exempt.
    Raising it to 5m (two story height), would not be exempt.

It's not the raise of the walls that's the issue, but the height to which you raise them.

Advertisement