Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Room 25m2 - Rental Query

Options
  • 08-05-2024 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Building a garden room 25m2 in my garden. This will essentially be a self contained unit with kitchen, bathroom and living area with heating etc. It will have it's own entrance via my side garden.

Building is below requirements for planning for use as a garden room. (the bedroom etc are for future proofing the room in case one of my kids wants to move in to save for a mortgage etc)

Is there anyway to generate an income from this above board? Can it be used for Airbnb the odd time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

you will need planning for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Why does he need planning? It is the use not the size, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭moneymaid

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, do you mean for using the garden room for renting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Building a detached, habitable dwelling in your garden will require planning.

You can (usually) build non habitable structures, without planning, provided they fulfill certain criteria - size etc...

That's what I'm technically doing, building a non habitable structure that's actually fully habitable. At the moment I don't need planning for the rooms construction.

What I'm wondering is, can it be used for Airbnb the odd time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"non habitable structure that's actually fully habitable"

So it's a habitable structure, which means you need planning.

Regardless, you'll have to register with your local authority if you want to rent out the room.

Why don't you do some research: https://www.hostaway.com/blog/airbnb-rules-in-ireland/#:~:text=General%20Regulations%20and%20Permissions,property%20or%20just%20a%20room.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's the fact it's a self contained living unit.

You need planning to build it.

Size might be below the limit for planning. But it building a bedroom for the the kids in "future" requires planning now.

If it was just a living room working area, then maybe you could say it's a home office now. But in that case as soon as you fit a bed to rent it out it needs planning.

So, if I don't put a bed in it and just have a pool table, darts board etc in it I don't need planning now? I've been informed by the company fitting it and an architect friend that it does not need planning.

The kitchen area will be installed, as will the shower room when it's built but just not actually used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Best bet is to check with your local authority. It varys from one to the next sometimes.

It doesn't vary. It's statutory law, applies nationally.

If it was just for a pool table ie a games room, then it would not need planning. But that's not what it is for, so it needs planning.

The company fitting it are trying to sell you something, they've no interest be given you honest advice. The website of many of those companies blatantly lie about planning requirements.
    You architect friend say it doesn't need planning despite it has a bedroom? I'd be wary about taking any advice from him in future. As he got something very basic, very wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The best bet for future proofing is to run plumbing, electrics and broadband. Those are all useful for non-habitable use, e.g. as a hobby space or home office, and more difficult to retrofit.

Putting in a full kitchen, shower and bedroom for some speculative future use (which will require planning) is both a waste of money and asking for trouble. If you suddenly find yourself needing to sell due to unexpected change of circumstances the property will be more valuable without a non-compliant structure (because solicitors and banks don't like them), but more valuable with a compliant/exempted structure with potential for conversion (subject to PP, or a change in the law, or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Lots of them around us being lived and being used for Airbnb.

They dont have planning but probably are supposed to. But nothing will ever come of the lack of planning anyway.

Look at the mansion in Meath that dont have planning. I dont think anything is going to happen to you for building a 25spm garden room that you can live in or rent.

I can tell you also that I have seen a few houses with these in the garden get sold in the last few years. They never caused an issue at all. One of them was a good friend buying a house with a garden room in it. Plumbing, electrics etc. It had been rented out before he bought the house.

Solicitor flagged it and told friend what the law was and did it bother him. He said no, i wont use it to live in (he has a mate living in it now). Solicitor said fine. Bank valuer didnt even mention it. Couldnt tell you how the other 2 I know went because i didnt know the buyers or the sellers, but they are still in the gardens.

That 600 sq.m Mansion in Meath? Whose owners have sank 100s of thousands into legal fees, and lost. It's till standing sure, but they have sank a lot of money, to house worth close to zero to show for it. Not one to aim for.

Bank may ask for a cert of compliance with planning, they may not. A non-compliant garden room will interfere with that. You're friends solicitor should have asked for one. Discount

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shimadzu

It wont be compliant with planning requirements with your intended use and most likely not compliant with building regulations either.

You face two major issues:

1. Somebody complains to the council and you are forced to remove the structure. Complaints will likely come from a disgruntled neighbor or AirBnb guest. You will be out the cost of building the structure, removing it and any legal fees.
    2. Somebody is injured while staying in the garden room, insurance most likely wont cover the new structure unless it is built to code and has planning permission.

A better use of the money you will spend on this garden structure is to invest it and help your children with a deposit in the future when the time comes round.

Solicitor asked if they wanted to ask for one. Spelled out the pros and cons. The answer was no. Apparently its a very common occurrence.

I doubt that crowd in Meath have spent much at all. They just pay a few hundred now and then to put an appeal together. How many years is that now they've been living in it? How many more? No sign of it getting knocked. If they ever did get an order to knock it they will just sit in it for another couple of decades. Bargain.

Heres a whole road of illegal structures that have people living in them. I know because i stayed in one of them through Airbnb and it turned out someone i went to school with owned one next door and told me all about it. Complaints sent in about them all the time. They've been there decades and they wont be going anytime in the next few decades either.

Ive seen lots and lots of this type of building and cabins in gardens all over the place.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.5271266,-6.0869582,3a,75y,350.29h,80.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMkKvGKsMYT8DxJdz-AK7iw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeah it could be used fof air bnb or other types of short term rent. Best of luck with it. They are going up everwhere yet i see no planning notices. You'll be fine.

Post edited by Gusser09 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There will be, as always, plenty of people to tell you what "might" happen. But that actually never does and wont happen.

Ive a friend who when i said i was having a party in my garden listed out a hundred things that "might" happen that i need to be insured against because thats the way he thinks. We had the party as thousands of people do and nothing happened.

Some people just cant separate reality from rules.

All you have to do is walk down any road and look in the gardens. Or just look at the amount of "garden rooms" companies who are somehow staying in business if they arent selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

How many of these log cabins / garden rooms have been removed? How many people have been served notices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What about converting a original block build shed that is separated from house, into a usable personal space , would that need planning/ .

That is supposed to have planning but noone cares. Seen that done loads of times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ive no idea why you constantly post about this, that and the other having no planning permission. Thats not a response to the question asked. BorneTobeWilde asked if a particular structure required planning permission and yes would be the answer.

Same rules as in, it doesn't need planning to alter the internals of an existing building.

What about the 40 square meter exemption, is that purely the footprint, or the volume

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭20/20

Looking at that horrible street and with no street lighting you should understand why we have planning regulations.

You're talking about a detached block built shed? First of all the type of structure or materials used in construction isnt an issue. If its used for domestic purposes incidental to the main house then no planning is required if its under 25 sq. metres and is not used as habitable accommodation. 25 sq metres of open space must also be retained in order to leave it exempt from planning. The full list of conditions attached to that particular exemption can read here - see Class 3.

That exemption is in relation to constructing an extension to a house. As per the link above please see Class 1

• Advertisement

Have you checked the planning status of those buildings you linked to?

I had a look at the online planning portal and there are quite a few applications for holiday / mobile homes. You might be a bit speculative in this instance.

Advertisement