Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Save money in fuel

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Agricultural diesel is 'washed' then smuggled and sold as road-legal. The profit margin is high.

When last was the price of petrol in both jurisdictions such that smuggling it was profitable? Latest report I could find was from 2002...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The Parking Tag app gives 4c a litre off at Circle K but obviously that app won’t suit everyone.
    Buy fuel at Tesco and you’ll get club card points. Not an immediate saving but still good.

Waze app is good for fuel prices and you also get maps, speed alerts, hazard alerts.

It’s not for everyone but a cheap EV would work for a lot of people. If they monitored their driving for a few weeks, daily distances travelled etc. it would suit people more than they assume. There are plenty of Leafs out there for 3 to 4 grand.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

If you drive medium or long distances on a motorway, use cruise control if you have it. You will quickly notice the difference if you set CC at the optimum speed for your car. My 2.0l diesel will sit very comfortably at 2000rpm, delivering 122km/h and giving excellent fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are right about the price on both sides but the smuggled stuff doesn't necessarily come from Irish sources.

Anyway this is a bit off topic because you won't be saving at the pump.

Post edited by elperello on

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Raichų

I think most drivers need to remind themselves the difference between a limit and a target.
    Then there’s the cohort of gobshites who think it’s appropriate behaviour to drive right up your ass and flash your lights because I’m daring to drive at or perhaps below the limit for whatever reason. For myself illl stick CC on 124km/h and let that be that.
    Can’t be arsed chancing penalty points if I’m caught by a speed van or unmarked breaking the limit to keep some gobshite happy behind me.
    I’d love to know where they are all going that requires such intense urgency.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If there is a 15C difference in the price of petrol then that is your margin. For many years, a substantial proportion of petrol in NI was smuggled, a decade before the traffic was in the opposite direction.

Washed diesel is not necessarily smuggled, the profit comes from the processing. However, as the NI base product was a bit cheaper it often involved some smuggling also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

do you need to pay for the Parking Tag service or anything to get the discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

You have to keep your account topped up for the discount. I use the app anyway so this is a bonus but it wouldn’t be worth having for this discount on its own.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭whatever.

Maybe move over, actually definitely move over, it's an offence to knowingly impese and that vehicle behind you may be an unmarked car needing to get past

Just move over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People saying to drive to a cheaper garage might want to do some homework on that. If I went somewhere 5 cent cheaper I'd save €2.40 on a 48 litre fill. Ignoring the 30-40 minutes detour, my petrol Golf doing 6L/100km on a 10km detour would cost €1.10. I'm not spending 30 minutes to go to a garage further away to save €1.30 on a €90 fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Shop around for prices but locally. You're never going to save a fortune but might get a free fill or 2 a year by doing it.

That might be worth a lot for some people.

Impediment if I’m going the limit? That sounds like a you problem.
    yeah you’re right next time I’ll drive into the ditch or under someone so the Cnut behind me can go faster.

If an unmarked car needs to get past they’ll have their lights and/or sirens on and it’s an appropriate use of the hard shoulder. Some spanner acting like they’re at a rave because they are in a hurry to go home and do nothing all evening is hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Fuel is only ever going to get more and more expensive, enjoy it while you can. (afford it)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If you're not overtaking anything, you shouldn't be in the overtaking lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Where did they mention not overtaking or the overtaking lane for that matter?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

"Move over" is only legally possible on a two lane road.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

⚡️5kw SunSynk, 5.95kwp SE, 3.2kwp SE, .8kwp NW, .8kwp SW. 15kwh SunSynk BYD Battery.⚡️

The guy you replied to with the rant about a "you problem". Maybe make a note of the posts you reply to or go up the thread if you can't remember what you said a few hours ago. I actually replied to that post and you couldn't be arsed to follow it back. FFS.

• Advertisement

You might want to follow your own advice there sham. You didn't reply to me and I didn't go on any rant about a "you problem". Do you think I'm someone else?

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Doesn't change a blind thing. You replied to me where I quoted the post I was replying to. You couldn't be arsed to read it and pick up the thread. It wasn't you that I quoted, but it should have been clear if you'd been arsed to check back.

Hilarious you can't even admit when you're wrong. I have read back on the thread, the poster you said shouldn't be driving in the overtaking lane never said he was. It was another poster that told him to move over.

☀️ 10.75kwp.

Honestly, I can explain, but clearly can't make you understand. Time to move on, beating my head against the impenetrably thick.

yeah thanks. However what’s being said is if you’re going less than 120km/h or apparently whatever speed the fella behind you has decided you should be then I should “move over”.

Scenario recently where a few HGV’s were in left lane so I naturally moved to right lane to overtake them. I stated previously I won’t go over the limit cos I’m not arsed with €120 fine to keep some gobshite happy but that doesn’t stop (usually people in vans or SUV’s) riding your ass flashing lights etc which is severely more dangerous than sticking to the limit.

My options were, go faster (not happening), drive underneath a lorry (definitely not happening), continue at pace and try to ignore the clown behind me (very difficult to do in the circumstances). Seems shocking to me but probably a reasonable explanation as to why so many people are dying everyday on the roads to see people arguing for this type of behaviour.

It’s lashing rain at the moment but still you’ll see lads tearing it down the motorway. What’s the plan if a car ahead suddenly breaks down? Sure that probably happen I guess.

not true either. You can move into the hard shoulder to allow traffic to pass if necessary. Assuming it’s safe to do so and only for short periods.

also I didn’t state anything about driving in an overtaking lane or indeed “moving over”. It was the poster I replied to whom stated if someone’s driving to pass you then you should either go faster or “move over” as apparently you’re illegally impeding probably an unmarked car as if Gardai don’t have the ability to inform you they need to get past.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 635 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

And so in a thread about saving fuel we have folks arguing about the use of the hard shoulder. Jesus wept. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement