Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Save money in fuel

Options
  • 05-05-2024 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Amidst the surge in petrol prices, what strategies can I employ to cut down on fuel expenses?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Get the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭elperello

One useful strategy is shopping around for lower fuel prices.

There can be wide variations at different filling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭goochy

Only drive when it's too far to easily walk . Go no more than 80 km an hour - slow down in traffic rather than keep stopping and accelerating again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shift gears efficiently. Maintain 80kmh speed. Draft behind hgvs. Drive less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Don't drive with a roof rack on if you aren't using it and keep your tyres at the correct pressure. Don't carry half a tonne of tools around with you if you don't need them.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Cycle, use public transport, drive less, walk to the local shops instead of driving, slow down, use your brakes less by anticipating the road ahead. If on a long journey, draft behind a bus or a truck (just not too close).

Don't go buying a new car to "save money"....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Here's an idea OP:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

download the AA app, you get 3c off per litre at Circle K.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chrisd2019

Loose weight & do not carry passengers, the lighter the vehicle the less energy it needs to use.

Work from home or get a job that your millage is paid.

Do your shopping online through free delivery sites.

If you need to travel, be a passenger with someone who doesn't want compensation for bringing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Depends on the car and the size of the engine. Small engines use a LOT more fuel at motorway speeds, so if you're doing that kind of driving, slowing down to 110 or even 100kph will make a big difference. Same goes for going up hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And of course the obvious solution is to buy an electric car. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No.. if someone wants to do this, stick to the secondary routes

This dawdling to save a few quid and acting as a rolling roadblock in the process is a ridiculous notion. I encounter it a fair bit and often when trucks and other larger vehicles are forced overtake the dawdler.

If someone can't afford to drive without holding up others unnecessarily then they shouldn't be on a motorway in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you're advocating a 120km/h minimum speed on motorways? Also aren't most trucks limited to 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No point in driving out of your way to save a couple of cent on fuel. Monitor the stations on the route you travel most and buy from the cheapest. But be aware that the price changes regularly, I used to check the prices on my route and the station that was cheapest on the way was the same price or more when I got back to it.

Check your tyre pressure, remove unnecessary weight and drive as little as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Cycle and walk whenever you can, cut your driving down to the absolute minimum

Get an ebike on the bike to work scheme if possible, they're handy for shopping or if you live in a hilly area. You can even get a cargo bike for bringing kids to school/childcare. I've been doing this for a while and I hate driving the school run now

Request to work from home if possible for as many days as you can get. Don't need a car to get from your bed to your home office (or sofa)

If you have two cars and one of them only does low mileage, consider selling it. You could replace it with a cheap EV if you can get a home charger, electricity is still a lot cheaper than petrol if you're willing to look around at different providers

Or just go car free if it works for you

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Agreed, no point burning fuel to save money.

There are also wholesale fuel merchants who sell fuel from yards and can offer good retail prices.

You'd get to know the places on a regular route.

I wouldn't consider 110 dawdling on a motorway.

Trucks shouldn't be passing you if you're doing that speed and the overtaking lane is there for faster traffic.

Unless traffic, surface or weather conditions dictate otherwise, there's no reason whatsoever for car drivers to be dawdling at 10-20 km/h (or more) below the limit.

Only yesterday did I encounter someone doing an indicated 108 past a truck on the motorway. There's also the dozens that dawdle along below the limit that I overtake en masse every time - it's no wonder some drivers just stay in the right lane.

Then they tend to bunch up in the left lane as well slowing everything and making it harder for other traffic to merge into the lane to either join or leave the motorway.

Pandering to these people is ridiculous. If you want to save fuel or a euro or two, stick to the secondary roads as I said, or use public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

there's no reason whatsoever for car drivers to be dawdling at 10-20 km/h (or more) below the limit.

There is. It's "driving at a speed which you judge to be safe for your level of competence, bearing in mind all conditions at the time".

Just because some other eejits on the road think they can drive at 120 and not get into trouble doesn't mean you're "dawdling" if you're doing 100. The sign on the side of the road that says "120" doesn't mean you're physically and mentally able to cope with doing 120 in the vehicle you're driving on that stretch. You might have just rented/borrowed/bought the car and be getting used to it; you might be distracted with family stuff; you might recognise that you're tired after a long day's work (or driving); you might be wary of your increased fuel consumption driving into a head-wind ….

• Registered Users Posts: 35,825 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The same people complaining about fuel going up 3c a liter, are same people who throw away a bottle with a 0.25c return on it.

If you can't "physically or mentally" cope with being on a road among other fast (or faster) moving traffic, then you really shouldn't be there to be honest. Being distracted by other issues or tiredness to where it if affecting your ability is even more reason not to be there.

Stick to the secondary routes in that case which will be slower, quieter (if bypassed) and ultimately safer for you and those around you.

120 isn't exactly starship speeds either. If you can't comfortably mange that when there's no reason not to, then maybe motorway driving isn't for you - which isn't that much of a stretch really considering the driving test doesn't cover any practical test of ability on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If you can't "physically or mentally" cope with being on a road among other fast (or slower) moving traffic, then you really shouldn't be there to be honest.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Circle K is much dearer than other Filling Stations in my area.

Don't need your edit thanks all the same.

I've never been one for pandering to the lowest denominator (as opposed to encouraging a higher base standard). It's partly why we have such overregulation and poor ability in general. I'm not one for encouraging more of it.

But I suppose, so long as the dawdling penny pinchers don't hold up anyone else it's as much as can be expected in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Raichų

should save the money in the bank OP, it’s not good to store it in your fuel! :pac:

Jokes aside the best way is just to reduce your driving if possible. If not utilise eco mode if available, cruise control on motorway, don’t use harsh acceleration and keep the revs below 2k until the engine is at operating temperature.

Dont shift gears too often either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you can't "physically or mentally" cope with being on a road among other fast (or faster) moving traffic, then you really shouldn't be there to be honest. Being distracted by other issues or tiredness to where it if affecting your ability is even more reason not to be there.

You do know the minimum speed on motorways is 50kmh, don't you? So anything over that is "faster than absolutely necessary" Even the powers that be judge that certain vehicles should not exceed 100, 90 or even 80 - but should also be prohibited from using secondary roads when a motorway is available. So your argument would appear to be founded entirely on adrenaline-fuelled arrogance.

To put things in context, using your criteria you'd be seen as dawdling at 120 on an Irish motorway, when over here on the Continent the limit is generally 130 - except in parts of Germany, where (it seems) you're suggesting every one should be keeping up with the locals doing 230 and above …

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Little or no difference in North Ireland prices today. I live close to the border and know it's not worth the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Bad advice. There is no mandatory requirement to drive at the posted limit. As far as I am aware the only limit on speed is no vehicles 50cc or under and a vehicle that cannot maintain a speed of 50kmph. In fact, that is why there are over taking lanes and procedures to use them correctly and safely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement