Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't stand the Irish climate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭horse7

Why are you trapped here for another 12 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 skarman11

I'm from a warm country myself (Spain, Canary Islands for more accuracy) and I can tell you that things are not that bad over here after 3 years living in Ireland. Winters can be tough, true. But I'd argue that it would be more because of the short days rather than the weather.

I spent 9 years living in Madrid and I couldn't be bothered to live there again. From May to September you can get 27-35 degrees, let alone heat waves that take temperatures up to 40 or 43 degrees Celsius. Forget about doing sport outdoors or doing anything at all outside without being drenched in sweat. You just can't do anything outdoors 6 months of a year, in Ireland you can the coldest day in wintertime. If you ask me Ireland from March (St Patrick's day more or less) up to the winter time change is one of the best places to be in. But that's me.

I started off living in the nortwest of Ireland when I moved here, now I'm in the southeast and I can tell the difference weather-wise. Maybe it's a matter of moving to Waterford, Wexford, etc. for your case.

As you say over here, "Sure look" or "it is what it is".

You must have be hit by a heatwave those days. Those are not normal temperatures in canary islands although 40 degrees is getting increasingly more usual. I hate it when there's "calima" (sand and soil in the sky), worse for your lungs than Irish moisture lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

yup 100% ..usually there's less rain than we think

It is not as damp as you might think. While we understand that many people are put off by cycling because they don’t fancy arriving at work flushed and sweaty or are concerned they will be rained on, the reality is quite different.Unless you cycle with the intensity of a Tour de France competitor, you can generally cover the ground you need to cover without breaking much of a sweat, and if you live on the east coast and cycle to work you are only likely to get rained on on four days out of every 100 which means you will stay dry 96 per cent of the time.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/pricewatch-cycling-to-work-will-save-you-a-fortune-and-keep-you-fit-1.4834282

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I retire, I plan to spend the winter abroad, somewhere where its dry and warm.

Not sure if it'll happen, but that's the plan.

I don't think I could stand the heat of June to Sept in such a place though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A decline in health and the incessant CO2 zealotry might render that plan unworkable. I think you are also looking at it the wrong way around. The annual average temperature of Sydney is 20°C, not 40°, which is a lot more pleasant than the 10°C average temperature of this benighted isle. People in Australia don't spend huge sums of money on energy trying to get their homes to 10°C, but we burn money trying to get our homes to 20°.

TLDR - move to the drier warmer climate and turn on the airconditioner occassionally, which will be a tiny fraction as long as you have the heating on for here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Please see my note above re offering advice to the OP, in your replies.

Thanks
    Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Embrace the wetness - look into some wet weather hobbies like surfing, paddleboarding, kayaking. It will change your perspective on what "bad" weather really is.

The lack of direct sunlight is a valid issue, definitely supplement vitamin D throughout the winter. Vitamin D gummies or drops are easiest to work into your daily routine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I think the heat in some counties can be unbearable, it is a novelty at the start, but trust me it can be overwhelming and as bad as rain as you can't stay out too long and the sweat.

I think the summer days we get in Ireland 25 degrees are perfect.

Why are you trapped by your family for 12 years! Why 12?

Living the life

As per Andrew Huberman words, the light itself can do the job for vitamin D in an overcast day. Just going outside even if it's cloudy syncs up our cicardian rythm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

OP, in what way are you trapped by your family? If it's just kids, take them and go, they will adapt and in the long term might be better off than they otherwise would with a parent who isn't enjoying where they are.

Advertisement