Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't stand the Irish climate

Options
  • 02-05-2024 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

This may seem quite trivial compared to the other discussions on here.

I can't stand the Irish climate and I feel cold for half the year and have to wear thermals. However, what really depresses me is the constant gloom. The awful, unrelenting grey sky that is always there. For the first time in months we had a 2 or 3 blue sky days, and it was like I was on some kind of drugs! I could not believe how much better I felt.

I understand that for Ireland it's only going to get worse. As the planet warms there will be more rain, so less and less (if any) precious blue sky days as the years go by. It's utterly depressing.

An obvious solution is to move country, and I'd do that in a flash. Unfortunately, I'm 'trapped' here by my family, for at least another 12 years. I'm counting down those years but it's like wishing my life away.

This really has quite a negative impact on my life. I'm miserable the whole time, and I'm sick of being soaked every time I want to do an outdoor activity. I'm wondering does anyone else feel the same way?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You are not alone.

Weather gets us all down from time to time. Help is at hand though. Talk to your GP or Chemist about getting some light therapy.

It works!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, i was just thinking that the OP could be suffering from SAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭xyz13

Try a break every 2 months: Spain, Malta, Portugal. Cheap and cheerful.

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you can also look positively at the irish climate.

In the winter when central europe has temperatures well under zero and doing any outdoor exercise is a non runner (and there may be no snow so you cant go skiing), Ireland can be anything from +5 to +15 and you can still go walking, cycling etc. . If its wet, it should not be a big issue if you have rain clothes or opt for shorts rather than a tracksuit/ leggings as your legs will dry in no time whereas material wont.

As for the summer, it can be sunny on the continent but jesus 35 to 45 degrees heat is not exactly comfortable, especially when very few houses in northern europe have air conditioning. You cant do sport and all you can do is hide under a tree or go for a dip, and at weekends pools or lakes will be mobbed with others looking to do the same.

Oh, and whilst spain/ the continent may have weather you might prefer, at least in Ireland the standard place you live is a spacious house with a garden for the kids, which is something you would likely not have if you moved to the continent.

You also seem to have your family nearby so you probably have the luxory to be able to avail of the grandparents or aunts/ uncles as babysitters from time to time, and as much as you feel trapped by the weather, having the kids 7 days a week (but in sunshine) is not as freeing as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

A few years ago I was talking to an older man who had lost his wife about a year previous. To give himself some purpose, he would walk to his wife's grave every day, a round trip of maybe 8km. He said to me that it doesn't rain that much. I was dumb struck by the comment. He said that more often than not, he can get his walk done.

Since then, I've started regularly walking and I've actually noticed that it doesn't rain as much as I thought (I'm in Meath). While we may not always have blue skies, there is plenty of opportunities to get out (typically I get out around 20 days in a month). The elderly man was right - I had perceived grey skies as being rainfall.

I've also read a bit about clouds, so when out I can enjoy the sky - and now appreciate a sky with different types of cloud than a completely clear one. I love the various shapes, colours, sizes and types - and snap them on the phone for the sake of it. I've even got a few family members to enjoy looking up form time to time.

Ireland does have a lot of cloud cover, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it - and it doesn't rain as much as perceived. If you are waiting for perfect blue skies you will be disappointed, but shifting our appreciation can release us to enjoy the outdoors a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Try vitamin D supplements a lot of Irish people could benefit due to lack of sun exposure. Also op I lived in Australia for a long time and by far the most thing that gets said to me is it must be wonderful living in that climate. The novelty wears off very quickly believe me. Struggling to sleep covered in sweat or being on a packed bus with no air con can be torture and I love the sun. People compare it to their 2 weeks in Spain. Its completely different even the locals complain about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

it’s mad how much better I feel when the sun is out and it’s warm, it’s like a rush of dopamine that my brain doesn’t get the rest of the year. I lived in a hot country for a year in my early twenties and I look back at it as one of the best times in my life, I was always in great form. There’s definitely something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's definitely been the wettest 10 months (since last June) I can remember. But we did have some beautiful summers during covid and maybe even leading up to then. At least in the east. And spring was usually much dryer than now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,005 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm from Australia. I am hoping to move to NZ, going from 1000 hrs of sunshine a year here to better than 2000 would be enough, but it's also going from an annual average temperature of 10°C to 14°C, which is a huge bonus.

It's not just the weather that's depressing, but I'll stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Like above, I sometimes think our weather may be dull/boring but at least it's safe. Nobody dying from heat waves or cold snaps, no 5 foot of snow making journeys a nightmare, having to change to winter tyres. And try to console myself by thinking 'yeah, hot weather sounds lovely but it's no fun Mon-Fri if you're getting public transport to work and have limited time in the evenings to enjoy it'

Having said that, I lived in Oz for a year and absolutely loved the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭The Ging and I

If its any comfort, I did 4000 kms of driving in Spain 2 weeks ago over 12 days and it was for the most part dull cloudy windy and wet. Im now 40 km from the Mediterranean sea in France and when its not windy 80 (plus kph mistral ) its been cloudy and wetter than a bad day on the west of Ireland.

Far away hills ….. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,342 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the next 50 to 100 years, ireland will be seen as a place to retire to.

Even now, born and bred Spainiards and Portugese are complaining that their summers are too hot, even for them.

I love my week in the sun when on holiday, but it does tire me out a lot, and you just like to lie about. I couldn't imagine living and working in it during the hot months. We Irish wouldn't be built for it.

But I'd agree Irish winters can be a depressing time. Today for example in the NW has been glorious and everyone just seems to be in good form. If we were guaranteed 3 sunny months every summer, I could nearly accept the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I love the Irish climate. I've lived in several different continents & climates. The Irish one is the best one, for me. No real extremes of anything. Winters not that cold, summers not that hot, volume of precipitation not that great. Very rare freak/destructive weather events.

What's not to like!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

the constant grey slate skies and very rarely being able to just go to a park and lie on a blanket and read a book or have a picnic gets to me alright. those 2 sunny days we got over a weekend recently were like some monumental national event, all because there were no clouds for 2 days lol.

my parents fecked off to spain years ago, right idea, although i worry by the time i'm able to retire spain will be pretty uninhabitable in the summer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The East is much drier than the west. Not sure where you are based OP, but can you move within Ireland?

Dublin for example has little rain predicted over the next week. Though mostly cloudy and some grey days.

But mostly dry, not too hot and not too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭thereiver

Maybe your in the west, weather in Dublin is not usually rainy or overcast

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dublin gets less rain than lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"I'm sick of being soaked every time I want to do an outdoor activity"

The key is to dress for it. Getting out & about in the fresh air whether it's sunny, windy or raining is the most important thing. Dress for the weather and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

I’m with the OP here. I’m tired of it. The endless dull days are depressing. I get a few breaks a year to the sun, keeps me going.

And I’m also being tired of being told that I should be happy/happier because some people are worse off than me… so I’m supposed to be content because some people are broke/homeless/bereaved.

I don’t mind wearing raincoats and boots, but I’d prefer to be wearing sandals and a t shirt. Just a personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Ireland is windy. wind strips heat from you. It is more pleasant to be out on a still day below zero with a continental climate is more pleasant than a day at 5 degrees in Ireland and when it has been below zero for a number of days there is no furry frost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just on the cold in the winter - Minus four or minus five with nice dry continental air feels much warmer and more pleasant than a raging damp northwesterly breeze in Ireland that is above freezing. Also you can go skiing, whereas we just get relentless cold sideways rain.

I'm with the OP on this one, the last 10 months have been bad for everybodys mental health. We haven't had a nice week of weather since June. It may rain less than we think - I've always beleived that. But it is so unpredictable, thats the problem. You can't plan anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

just look at the weather forecast for the next 10 days. In Dublin currently not one sunny day predicted.

it’s May!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭beachhead

A course of St John's Wort might help.But you would need to be aware of the side effects.Talk to your doctor.

On the other hands lots of residents of hot climates relish the climate here but they say unfortunately they can get here for a holiday only

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It does depend where you live in Ireland, I'm originally from the North West, but live in Dublin. There is a massive difference in the weather. My mam spends her whole life trying to sneak reasons to come stay with me because she cannot stand the grey skies and rain at home.

My ex was Finnish, and he hated the weather there, we spent a lot of time in each other's countries and I have to admit, more than a couple of weeks in the dark dismal winter would depress ya. It's a thing OP.

the Norwegian government give their citizens money every year to take a sun holiday, they reckon it costs less than mental health treatments.

So basically OP, some parts of Ireland are better then others, if you can move there do it. If you need more, try to spend winters in a sunnier climate. It's not necessarily heat you need, just sunshine.

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Some posts deleted.

Reminder - PI is not a discussion forum. Nor a forum for supposedly funny comments.

As per the charter: Personal Issues is an advice forum. Posters are required to offer advice or opinion to the OP in their replies.

Thanks

Hilda

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I live in the sunny south east and find the weather here extremely windy most of the year. When I lived in Kildare the weather was bearable in the winter but in Wexford, we get extremely strong wind at night coupled with sideways rain and since I moved here 10 years ago, I've been very aware of the weather whereas it didn't bother me when I lived further north and further inland.

I said to my wife recently, if it wasn't for the kids, I'd strongly consider a move to a warmer climate. I agree with the poster that Ireland is a miserable place to live most of the year and those few sunny periods we get just completely change my state of mind which isn't healthy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I noticed how much of a massive boost the whole country got during that sunny weekend two weeks ago. Everyone was out and about in the parks and so chatty and full of smiles/laughs. It completely changes the vibes. I am in a similar position to you OP I have found the last few days really dull and depressing and have even picked up a cold. It’s not normal to have to turn on the house heating in May and wear a winter coat everytime you step outside. The monthly absence of sun light and the strength of the wind are the real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Some are more sensitive to it than others. Best thing for it is strong vit supplement, exercise and force yourself outdoors at least 1 hr a day. If you can afford it, 2 weeks in the canary Islands in January makes a huge difference it breaks the winter up. Just be aware that last year in July the canary Islands experienced brutal 40 degree plus weather and that's even more unpleasant in my opinion. Keep in mind also mainland Europe has increasingly extreme weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I’m just back from New Zealand and California. That’s why I’m posting at 3.45 in the morning! Still not back to proper sleep patterns yet. Weather over there was 15 to 17 degrees and dry. Very little wind. It’s the wind combined with rain in Ireland that makes it a pain in the neck, plus the unrelenting cloud cover.
    i can tolerate the weather here but my other half finds it gets him down a bit. Even trying to cut the grass at a weekend is a trial sometimes as it’s either raining, just after raining or just about to rain.
    I think if I lived in California I’d be bored with the weather eventually! OP all you can do is try get away a couple of times a year for a bit of a break in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im with you OP. In my case I probably have SAD. The grey Irish weather has always been a downer. Being honest, no amount of talk therapy could help see come to terms with the grey, but thats not to say it's not for everyone! :)

I actually did something about it and bought a property in the south east of Spain. Best thing I ever did. During Covid after the first lockdown I moved over there (all work was online) and ended up staying there for the duration of the pandemic. There was consistently blue skies for 300+ days of the year. And while winter was chilly, the sky was still blue and it was still warmer than Ireland. My mood in Spain (or similar climates) boosts dramatically.

Of course in my case I work for myself so I have the luxury of being able to spend extended periods in Spain when im not working in ireland. I have taking steps to establish my work in Spain with a view to moving there full time.

This is just my story and everyone is different but I would encourage you OP to give consideration to moving abroad if it's possible. There are Irish communities and multilingual communities across Mediterranean Europe and plenty of places to research or people to reach out to.

Finally, as a country, Ireland suffers with the poor teaching of foreign languages which happens far too late in school life to have a meaningful impact but I was able to pick up Spanish through classes and apps. Dont let languages put you off

Advertisement