Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uninsured Vehicles Cannot Be Taxed

Options
  • 02-05-2024 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

I just noticed this today when renewing my car tax.

In the past, one could enter 'anything' in the Insurance Field and you still got your tax disk.

Now - you don't give insurance details and presumably motortax.ie will kick you out if the vehicle is uninsured.

Post edited by eirman on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I retaxed mine online this week and it never asked for any insurance details , it did in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Juran

I would say that people who dont insure their car don't bother taxing it either. So probably wont really impact that % of car drivers who dont comply.

But its a good thing that authorities can find a car's and drivers insurance status and details via their car reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

presumably motortax.ie will kick you out if the vehicle in uninsured

That's a big assumption on your part. I think it's far more likely that it's not a real-time check, and they only cross-reference the databases in the event of an incident. Aside from anything else, why would the state want to turn down money just because the driver is uninsured? It wouldn't increase safety or enforcement in any way?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Noticed that, but it doesn't impact me as mine are insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

Taxed mine yesterday didn't ask for insurance details, when they did I used to randomly input 7 numbers & 2 letters as I never had Insurance documents on me at the time

• Advertisement

They do in the UK, needs to be on the insurance database & have an MOT if applicable to be taxed, if either are not in place it is refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

My read on that is that they are no longer required to collect insurance details because of the new database. It doesn't appear that they are actually cross-checking the database when you go to tax.

Hopefully this means that we can soon do away with the need for paper discs (at long last).

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

28064212 …

Roadside checks can now scan the insurance database in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Should be a step away from paper discs. But the lack of insurance doesnt mean you cant tax it. I taxed a car last month with no insurance on the car at the time.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You're reading a lot into this OP. The situation is very different to your assumption.

You are no longer required to input Insurance details when taxing a vehicle as Motor Insurers have finally agreed to share their Databases with AGS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The key word in the OP is "presumably".

I can't envisage any scenario where you'd have the car taxed, but not insured or vice versa anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

In for repairs and you have the insurance switched to another car while it's in. Car tax comes up and since it'll be back on the road inside the month, you renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭ax530

Recently when trying to tax car after entering insurance details said could not tax as too close to expiration of insurance.

I sorted insurance the following day when went to tax car it did not ask for the insurance details I expected it was because 'they knew' insurance had been renewed

Driving on third party extension would be one.

This is a great idea, and one I think should be implemented with the removal of the need for paper discs for private cars. Why do you need an NCT disc, the AGS (or anyone) can check the validity on the NCT website. Insurance would be covered under this MIBI data sharing , and they would already have access to the taxation database

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭standardg60

Absolute rubbish, insurance has never been cross checked on motortax.ie, I've never even put in the correct policy number, any set of numbers is accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

We tried to tax a new car on the 20th March (Registered 19th March) and couldn't tax it online.

The insurance had been arranged to come in to effect on the 20th March which is when the vehicle was being collected. No issue taxing it the morning of the 20th March so it's either a real time check or details are loaded daily, in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭zg3409

In the past you could input any insurance details you liked, it seems now they dont bother to ask.

I know gardai have access to lots of data. I got a call on mobile in relation to a trailer with my car registration on it, so they can access details submitted via various forms.

Legally you need to be taxed and insured if parked on a public road but there are various group insurance policies such as for garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

On my bike the tax is due a week after I bought the bike so my insurance is due a week before the tax. If I'd known what that meant I'd have waited the week to insure it.

Will see what it says when that's up again, as previously I've had to get the new insurance sorted before paying the Tax as it knew the insurance would be up by the time the new tax year started.

Car I just pay it when the email pops in. There's only 1 disc on bikes so maybe that's different and I'll still need to give them insurance details at tax time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Any vehicles covered under a group policy have to be uploaded separately to the National Fleet Database ( https://nfd.mtpl.ie/ ) so the Motor Tax site has access to all vehicles insured. Majority of the vehicles we tax would need to be listed on the NFD before we can tax them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

Is that for a garage only though?

On an individual level, it doesn't really make any sense to implement this crosscheck. I can legally drive a taxed, but uninsured car under my policy.

As an example, my sister emigrated and her car stayed, parked on a quiet public for a time, taxed but uninsured. If it needed to be moved, I could do so fully comp under my policy.

Similar story with my dads car. He didn't use the car much, and it was going to be scrapped, so let his insurance lapse on it. €570 tax, which had a few months left, so he didn't scrap it immediately as it could be insured again quickly if he did need it, or someone else could drive it, taxed, on their policy extension. So now, it couldn't be re-taxed without a policy of its own, it someone needed it for a short period?

All sounds a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

I wonder if the Gardai just have access to the motor tax database, so will know if the car is taxed, and what was indicated re insurance (including expiry date) when taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Road tax evasion trebled when the UK got rid of their discs. I don't know why people have such an issue with having less than 0.5m2 in the bottom or top corner of their windscreen, lots of people mount their phones in the middle which is a much bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

You can still tax your car, when if you don't have insurance linked to the car.

Just try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭User1998

Thread title is wrong. I just taxed 5 uninsured vehicles tonight. Didn’t have to enter made up insurance details which was nice.

Advertisement