Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local/ EU elections who will you Vote for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

No one from SF, PBP, Greens, or any party/candidate with "Ireland first" or anti-abortion / anti-lgbtq views.

Doesn't actually leave me much choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Me too: 21st preference, 22nd preference, 23rd preference and 24th preference!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

No you’re not a racist for having an opinion. However looking to ban certain people from running for election for political parties because of their skin colour does smack of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,894 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am sorry but I feel FG running that number of candidates with migrant background in the elections is agenda based same as FF running Caio Benicio just says lets jump on woke bandwagon, I would prefer to see them run as Independents not be used by the political parties

The Irish government currently gives funding to political parties that run people of diversity as candidates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe to push the party so to be seen as woke and diverse, be poster boys and girls, I am sure the NGOs in link with the government parties are happy too

I just would prefer to see them run as Independents

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Same with all those bloody women candidates presumably? And the gay candidates too?

Why can't they all run as independents without any structure or supports, so that their chances of success are lower?

Aren’t all candidates poster boys and girls?

Touché

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

5% of their candidates are migrants, that's tiny.... Demographics of candidates will change as decades go on and that's the reality, in this case it's people who have generally been living here for decades. I guess you've moved on from claiming they're a gang of criminals at least.

Fair play to them choosing to run for local government. The fact that you're claiming this amounts to "woke" stinks of xenophobia.

FG aware of the s#itshow the current government caused with allowing IPAs come in droves and droves to Treasure Ireland want to show that by putting migrant background candidates (who came here legally or born here, worked hard etc., and could be doctors or engineers) hoping the people will see them as a good diverse working political party to distract from the mess they have made b

All I'm saying is I think it is agenda based imho for them, practically using these candidates that is why they should ditch the parties and run independently

You have a far clearer agenda, you linked to candidates facing racial abuse then proceeded to imply they were criminals. Meanwhile you're far less concerned with the groups running candidates with criminal backgrounds who rave about "ethnocide"...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

These candidates are no fools. They don't need you to save them from being used.

They know exactly what's going on, and they're not limited to FG.

You'll be delighted to hear that there is an Indian driving instructor running as an independent candidate in Sandyford. Might be hard for voters to get past his surname though - Panicker.

Again I don't think anyone with a criminal record should be allowed run in any election and have said the same in other threads

But you brought it up in relation to candidates who had faced racial abuse instead of candidates with actual criminal records.… Basically you just seem intent on smearing migrant candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I know it's shocking, but some of those non-pasty candidates were actually born here 😯 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why do you prefer people of a certain skin colour do or do not do a certain thing?

There's a word for that

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I might as well back this chap as I'm a xenophobic far right racist apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The person you are quoting specifically said they are not voting on skin colour.

You then then proceeded to smear and slander this person based on a total falsehood that you invented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Inward migration to this country only really fully began on a large scale in the late 90s (makes sense since prior to that the country was an economic basket-case that couldn't give jobs to its own youth). That was 25+ years ago. It makes sense that we are now seeing the first waves of people across all spheres of Irish life whose ancestry isn't 100% white Irish.

The Irish soccer team is full of players whose parents came from outside Europe. One our big Olympic medal hopefuls this year will be a Dublin born sprinter, Rhashidat Adeleke, whose parents came from Nigeria. The musician Denise Chaila moved here, when she was 3, from Zambia.

Why should politics be any different? Why should political parties shun these people (which seems to be your suggestion)? Our last Taoiseach was a mixed-race son of a migrant so this isn't even that ground breaking! Should he not have joined FG and instead tried to be a parish pump independent instead due to him not having 100% Irish genetics? I'm really struggling here to see your point of view….

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I will consider anyone except the far right …. I would vote each and every candidate from SF, FF, FG, Labour, PBP, SDs, moderate Independents, etc. but would deliberately leave blank the far right idiots …. that is parties like Ireland First, Freedom Party, National Party, National Alliance, Identity Ireland, The Irish People, and Independents who hold far right values …. these people are representing a dirty unhelpful warmongering ideology ….their heroes include the likes of Trump, Hitler and Netanyahu …. some candidates of these parties even have criminal backgrounds ….

I hate every conversation being hijacked by the anti-woke brigade …. people need to know what anti-woke means …. it means the sick, the disabled, people who lose their job through no fault of their own, the depressed, and many other groups would be entitled to NOTHING should such people ever gain power …. that is what far right means …. conscription, war, dictatorship, racism, nationalist/religious/other extremism, terrorism …. that is what anti-woke means …. that is why I would not vote for far right dirt parties …. I'd vote anything from the far left to the normal right …. but never these far right clowns …. how dare they threaten our police, our politicians and our less fortunate people … how dare they encourage thugs to burn down buildings and spread blatant lies about everything from Covid to migrants …. how dare they poison the minds of the gullible …. how dare they use Trump's dirty money to spread his evil into this country …..

The person I quoted wants to discriminate against others based on their own personal bias. They don’t need any assistance from me to smear their own reputation.
    It is interesting to note how many racists object to being called racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Clary Daly got caught by Sunday times working for the Russians to no one’s surprise

So ye think FF running Caio Benicio, is not using him

I believe he was here on a student visa only for a year (sorry if this is incorrect)

Ya, he's viewed as good pr for the party. Meanwhile a party running 5% of candidates who are migrants is just statistically not significant and to be expected as demographics change. Meanwhile you imply the migrant candidates are criminals with no actual evidence which translates to you having a pretty horrible agenda. You don't care that the people who are campaigning against migrants have ranks filled with criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd prefer they fucked off altogether and took their bigoted views with them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe not in this election cycle but your worst nightmare will come true at some point unless the next Government get a handle on the number of illegal migrants coming here because if they don't people will vote for parties like the IFP.

Voters here are no different to people in other European countries, its just we were a bit late arriving to the illegal migration party.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭highpitcheric

anti-immigration all the way.

been in my local area for many years. only had 2 negative encounters in all the years, 1 attempted mugging, and 1 very minor physical scuffle. And you know the rest.

I dont know if its cultural or whatever. But I reflect on the stats in the US, and I look at London. Can't unsee it. Used to have more sympathetic attitudes, when it was farther away. No longer. I get it now. (and not just from 2 minor encounters).

Ive known good and bad from every group, and Im well aware of this world before I get the accusations of ignorance. Ive welcomed different races, ethnicities and sexualities into my house, worked with and had craic with a full spectrum of people.

Ive time for all people, but we're simply going in the wrong direction. Lifes truths aren't always what I would wish, and I don't like that people I would have previously have looked down on as vicious or intolerant were more right than I thought and I was more wrong than I thought. But it is what it is.

Not looking for any radical widespread action, Im not waving a flag or chanting, but we can't do this any more. If we do its not going to be good at all, like really. Its going to be very, very bad.

• Advertisement

As I've said previously anyone with a criminal background should not be running whether for any party or as an independent

Advertisement