Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local/ EU elections who will you Vote for

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

But you're just infatuated with the migrants that you're insinuating are criminals. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whoever is going on sorting immigration. They won't do anything anyway but at least might make the main parties take notice if they're seeing a lot of votes going that way

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Oh yes of course I must be a far right racist for having an opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Polar101

How does one sort immigration in local elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They don't. It's just more a message for the main parties for the actual important election later in the year that if see a bunch of candidates getting elected in anti immigration stances instead of their own, they might change course. I don't really think it matters who the local councillors are, they don't have much of a remit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Hamachi

The only infatuation I see here is you trying to ascribe thought processes to another poster.

You chose to imply migrant candidates are criminals by virtue of being migrants. When challenged, you then moved onto it being in some way horrifying that 5% of candidates run by a party were migrants or some evil agenda. One of the tropes run out is that migrants don't integrate then when they choose to run as a representative of the local community in local elections that becomes nefarious instead. Basically for certain people, migrants can do nothing right and running for the council is a scandal...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭combat14

by giving the main parties absolutely no votes, sending a massive message to FF, FG, SF, Greens that they are all out of jobs if they dont get their act together in 6 months - they have had long enough

You honestly think there is no agenda by FG for running 15 migrant background candidates in the upcoming local elections

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Thread needs to be merged

• Advertisement

And there's no agenda when you imply they're a bunch of criminals? People are free to judge based on what you posted. Best of luck with being perpetually outraged by migrants now.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,523 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Article mentions two candidates here for over 20 years so wtf are you on about?

Garda vetting would see a lot of RW candidates banned (and some SF too!)

But as usual it's only immigrits who are mentioned in relation to supposed crimes

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you want them to block good candidates because you don't like to see brown faces on posters?

So you do not think there is any agenda by the parties to run more candidates of a migrant background?

This year’s local elections see a significant increase in the number of candidates of a migrant background running. In the 2019 local elections there were 56 migrant candidates, however the Immigrant Council of Ireland has identified over 100 candidates of a migrant background running in the upcoming local elections on 7th June.

As well as the increased number of candidates of a migrant background running there is a higher proportion of candidates running as part of a political party, rather than as independents. In 2019 over half of all migrant candidates ran as independents, while in this election cycle independent candidates only make up a third of all migrant candidates.

I think I would prefer them running as independents on their own opinions and merits

The skin colour does not matter to me, I just think there is an agenda with the political parties to run more, even exploit them

I think I would prefer them running as independents, the good candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Consonata

Hard to see who to vote for beyond Greens, Lab, Socdems. On principle I don't think I can give any high preferences to any party which votes to reduce the LPT, or votes against apartment developments, which gets rid of a lot of parties on the left and right.

Most parties have 0 vision for what good local government looks like and instead do populist crap and continuously cut LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Any government parties won't be on my list, obvious reasons, not sure I want to vote for the others but the current gang need a kick up the hole,, taking people for granted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I will be giving a preference to every anti-immigration candidate on my ballot papers.

The fact they're migrants matters though and you insinuated they were criminals by virtue of them getting migrants. The ones in the racial abuse article have been living here for decades so it's pretty likely they've been politically active prior to now with the parties in some form. So 5% running for local elections in a party likely has as much to people who have lived here a long time choosing to be politically active. I'd imagine you get similar in the UK in local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pretty arbitrary reason for voting for someone given they literally can't do anything about immigration.

You might as well vote for them on what color socks they wear. Same result.

Also if you are "anti-immigration" you are also anti-emigration.

So no one leaves the island.

Super philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ll be voting for all anti open borders candidates both locally and for the EU Parliament especially. They all need a good boot up the hole as they’re simply refusing to listen to us. Constantly sticking their noses in foreign conflicts that have nothing to do with us deflects from our own issues and is quite frankly dangerous

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you're in favour of a hard border between the ROI and NI despite absolutely everything that has gone on to reach peace?

Their skin colour doesn't matter? What made you think they were migrants?

Why would you get an opinion on internal party matters, for a party that you've no involvement in?

So for the local elections, you're going to choose your preferred candidates based on matters that have nothing to do with the functions of local authorities? You want candidates who will be 'constantly sticking their noses' into matters where they have no powers or functions?

I'm coming from a similar place to yourself, but I'll definitely continue my preferences to ensure that the far right anti immigration fools don't get any foothold.

It's about holding your nose, and giving some preferences to folks that you don't really like, to keep out the folks that you REALLY don't like.

That's just stupid (at best). They are running for a party because they want to run for a party. If they wanted to run as an independent then they'd do that.

But no it's all a conspiracy between brown people and the political parties 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Apart from the PBP lunatic fringe which candidates are pro open borders exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So if we don't want dodgy spoofing asylum seekers from Georgia\Nigeria\etc or undocumented males being welcomed into our country, given leave to remain and being dumped in suburbs, villages and towns then we must obviously want barbed wired fences, watchtowers with machine guns and minefields.

I must have missed the news of Denmark building those border fences with Germany and putting checkpoints on the bridge to Sweden. 🙄

Maybe I should watch RTE more.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cpsr/censusofpopulation2022-summaryresults/migrationanddiversity/

According to the last census - over 12% of Irish residents are not Irish citizens. And that doesn't count migrants who have subsequently achieved Irish citizenship - so the percentage of migrants as a percentage of the overall population is higher again.

If Fine Gael are running 16 out of 339 candidates, that's less than 5% of their candidates.

How exactly do you figure that migrants are over-represented from those statistics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well lets see if this equates to an open border.

Thousands, usually single men, arrive in Ireland either via Dublin airport or across border from NI.

They are accepted into the country, given funded healthcare, food, accommodation (which up to recently was housing, but now can be a tent) and are allowed freedom of our country even though they often provide no verifiable identification.

And even when they are found to be not meeting threshold for asylum, they are allowed multiple appeals (courtesy of the taxpayers footing the legal bills mind).

Even if they are eventually denied asylum and even when another country will accept to take them back, they are not deported. (3 out of 188 is the figure that Michael McNamara gave to minister of justice and she did not provide any proof of it's inaccuracy)

Now to me that immigration system is OPEN BORDERS.

And the parties of government (FG,FF, GP) and the opposition parties (SF, SD, PBP, Lab) have not come up with concrete proposals to put an end to it.

Thus I maintain all those parties are PRO or at least ambivalent about OPEN BORDERS.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement