Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords

Options
  • 30-04-2024 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Just spotted their Google reviews all being removed, are they closing down the Irish stores? They are no longer appearing in the likes of Google maps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

just spotted that also, I had rated the Limerick store and got a notification that the store was being removed from Google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I wouldn't be surprised if they are closing down. I doubt they are selling enough to keep those large premises going.

Better deals and service to be got from a local motor factors anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Got the same notivaction that my Google review had been removed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

They were handy to have especially with the trade card discount

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Interesting. Just tried there, and none showing up. I always liked Halfords. Handy for picking up random bits during a browse. Also handy for the likes of camping gas canisters, so no idea where I'll get them now if they close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I've always rated their tools, and they're great for the odd bits and bobs.

At the same time not surprised if they do close

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Pity if they close. They do excellent deals on decent tools and oil/coolant every now and again

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

And being able to pick up stuff on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Magown3

what happens with their lifetime guarantee on their tools. Are we gonna have to post defective tools to UK?? Awkward 🙁

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If a major chain like that is closing down, I'd be surprised if their priority is to remove old Google reviews in advance.

• Advertisement

Theres only two Halfords on maps now and they're just people's houses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

While I wouldn't be surprised if they are closing down, there is nothing on their website to indicate any closures. All of their stores are still listed and you can make an order and reserve stock for pickup from the locations.

Perhaps the Halfords parent company has sent a privacy request to Google and they are now busy removing all entries? Would certainly be weird for a commercial operation to do but I can't think of any other explanation.

Interesting question about their "lifetime" warranty from @Magown3 though. I have a set of their Advanced tools that came with this warranty so it would be curious to know as well. I would imagine we would have to go to the UK to get it replaced, although that is now outside of the EU and may not be covered by the terms of the original warranty 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I got the same message re a Clayton Hotels post from Google last week, pretty sure they are not closing and the hotel in question is not being rebranded - I just put it down to some adjustments being made in Google to their Maps app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭cml387

Just because your phone has told you that Halfords has been removed from Google maps it's assumed they are closing? Pretty big leap there I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Not just Google reviews on maps, you can't see them at all if you type in halfords Limerick for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hope this isn't true.

My local Halfords are great for changing bulbs on my car (notoriously hard to get at)

Great for other bits and bobs,camping,cycling etc and very friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Agree with that alright only way to change headlight bulb on one side of my car is to take air filter box out which not every one would like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

They closed their Longford store almost a year ago.

Unit is still empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

THey are pulling out of Ireland I heard, Brexit and all that doesn't make it viable for them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Probably the same situation as argos, its just not that viable for them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

The galway store have some shelves empty for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭geotrig

I say they do a hell of a bit more trade than what Argos did near the end here, every time I go to the limerick store its busy and was been restocked the weekend when I was in there

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The portlaoise store does be fairly busy any time im there too however i did notice certain things not been restocked over the last while and none of the computer terminals for looking up parts for you car work in it anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Would be very sorry to see them go, if that is indeed what is happening. Picking up a few bits from them at very short notice has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

I know they are not loved by the local bike shops, but the ability to see price & stock levels online is something Irish retailers just can't seem to master, and Halfords does it right down to the smallest items.

I don't think Halfords closing would be akin to Argos - Sainsburys bought Argos and had zero interest in the Irish market from the get-go. They basically under-invested and just let the Irish business fizzle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭hellyeah

Be sad to see then go if true. Always got my oil there when on special. Cheapest oil change I ever done was 20euro for oil plus filter. Very handy when you weekend warrior work goes wrong on a Saturday and you need something on a Sunday. 🤣

I also get 10% of with AXA which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

If they go I will miss them, the bikes upstairs in Tralee was always a spot I spent a few minutes.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

many of the U.K. Argos are now within Sainsburys. The business model changed, stock management became key so it’s more click and collect which is easier when each store is on the same island as the distribution centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The perverse thing about Halfords as a multiple retailer is that it is much more like your local motor factors/handyman rolled into one. Whether for awkward bulb changes, battery changes etc, wiper changes, much easier than a garage.

Ive noticed Liffey valley haven't restocked their bulbs in weeks, so I've had to buy some from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭RINO87

If its the butane cartridge ones you are after Homesavers usually have them at a good price.

Advertisement