Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crunch Time for EU with EVS and EU Green Deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I mean, was it wise to cut the grant when prices were falling?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

Imo yes so long as released funding is invested in the public charging infrastructure. It has been obvious that manufacturers were using the grant to keep 'sticker' prices high and many buyers were using it to fund big wheels and other nice to have options. So, again IMO it was simply a waste of scarce tax revenues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

one will always chase the other as the SEAI grant is a tapered system designed to be removed at some point.

Almost 1 year later and has much of that tax been invested into the infrastructure? I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it has

Tax revenues aren't scarce, the country is currently awash with money

• Registered Users Posts: 13,312 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume it went in the general tax take it wasn't ring fenced in any way?

Personally I think the are bigger issues that would discouraged people from EVs. But in other countries a reduction in grants has seen sales decrease. Perhaps it's unhappy coincidence with other events in the market place..

We shouldn't be referring to it as 'tax'. It was a grant that was reduced. There are other grants coming on stream including ones for charging in apartments and other shared parking areas.

Sorry my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Hmm not sure if this is acurate anymore, China are set to dominate renewables and peak coal for them is only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Which produces more energy, an increase of 300 GW of renewables or a 200 GW increase in coal fired plants?

Personally, I will not admire, or cheer on, a massive renewables push that is enabled by slave labour.

• Advertisement

It depends on load factor, geograpical dispersion and storage abilites .. which if you had watched the video I linked you might understand how they plan to decarbonise.

Thank's, but I'm not going to sit through your 20 min video.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's already a grant for charging in apartments, which not many apartments have used. There is a grant for sports clubs to install chargers, which again very few have taken up.

What is different about the new grants so that they will be taken up better than the current grants?

The 4 Dublin local authorities announced nearly 2 years ago that they will have 1650 charge points by 2025, I don't see much progress on this.

The government cut the grants for EVs but they haven't done much about getting the charging infrastructure built up apart from plenty of press releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

And you think higher EV grants for people spending up to €60k on a new car is a priority use of the largesse the Govt is obviously unnecessarily extracting from the taxpayer? The fact that the savings from the grant reduction havent been reinvested in the public charging infrastructure is a separate matter and another e.g. of the failure of our Govt to improve the lot of the population of this country. Awash with money indeed. 2025 is going to be a great year

The grant was a small part of an attempt to increase the number of EVs on the road, we have a reduction for the first time ever. Personally I'd rather give a grant to somebody buying a 60k EV than have them buy a 60k petrol SUV

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's being rolled out under the Zevi led programme to meet our Ten-T infrastructure requirements, the submission deadline was last week.

TII is launching a new €21m grant scheme, funded by the Department of Transport through the Zero Emission Vehicles Ireland unit (ZEVI), to incentivise and accelerate the development of Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure (EVCI) on most of the motorway/dual-carriageway elements of the national road network (NRN) in the State. The Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Regulation (AFIR) provides mandatory targets to be achieved by Member States for EV charging infrastructure dedicated to both LDVs and HDVs on the TEN-T. In response to the above, Ireland has set its own national targets for en-route Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure as outlined in the Draft National En-Route EV Charging Network Plan 2022-2030 and the Climate Action Plan 2024. The objective of the scheme is to support the achievement of national EVCI targets and mandatory European targets. In this initial scheme, TII will provide grant funding in connection with the roll-out of en-route EVCI and in particular high-powered en-route charging infrastructure for light duty vehicles (LDV). The Scheme is an “aid scheme” for the purposes of, and within the meaning of General Block Exemption Regulation, (GBER). TII hereby invites interested parties to participate in the Competition, with the objective of securing a Grant in relation to Eligible Costs incurred by it. TII has chosen to advertise this Competition via eTenders (and via national press) to ensure that it is brought to the attention of interested Applicants. However, the Grant Letter is not a public contract or a public concession contract within the meaning of Directives 2014/23, 2014/24 or 2014/25 (the “Procurement Directives”) and the provisions of the Procurement Directives do not apply to this Competition. Notwithstanding that, TII is choosing to follow a process which is broadly similar to the open procedure described within the Procurement Directives, Applicants should have no expectation or understanding that the Procurement Directives will be applied by TII during the Competition (for example, and without limitation, TII reserves the right to proceed to award of the Grant Letter without observing a standstill period).

All I can see is more chargers for en route charging, nothing about apartments or shared parking. Checking on Gov.ie the information for ZEVI on apartments or street parking hasn't been updated since last year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The government cut the grants for EVs but they haven't done much about getting the charging infrastructure built up apart from plenty of press releases.

It was a response to you saying they aren't doing much about building up infrastructure, hard to say they're not doing anything when there's a tender currently in play to do it.

I do think lots more needs to be done for private shared parking.

• Advertisement

They are doing a good job on the en route infrastructure. But people aren't going to buy an EV if they can't access chargers at home or near to home at a reasonable price and they don't appear to be doing anything for these. The sales of BEVs has stalled yet nothing is been done to make it possible for people without off street parking to run a BEV

How do you know it's not part of the reason? If people can't get access to charging at home they aren't going to buy a BEV and a sizeable portion of the population don't have off street parking.

Apartment or local charging hubs will encourage people to get an BEV, having more en route charging isn't going to get people to buy a BEV. Yet the government is building up the en route charging, for people who already own BEVs, while doing nothing to enable people to buy a BEV. Most car journeys are less than 20km.

If it is a part, it's a very small part. The uptake currently is only a fraction of the homes capable of putting in a charge point. About 1/3rd of car owners (from Electric Vehicle Policy Pathway 2021) do not have off street parking. In the same year there were over 2.25 million cars in Ireland. Two thirds of that is a long way ahead of the current fleet of BEVs (approx 50k).

Seems logical considering the market turmoil, and the deluge of FUD across all media. The situation with on street parking hasn't changed but the market has.

The issue isn't "most" journeys. If you can't do that journey you do 5% of the time easily, how easy the other 95% of journey is irrelevant for many people. That's a showstopper for many. Not me personally, but I see that perspective.

I get the on street parking, angle. I just think, its a market that will be facilitated last. The policy for growing the instructure explains why they've taken this approach.

Community groups and residents associations could do a lot to facilitate this. Setting up communal chargers in their areas to allow residents to charge at or very close to home rates (while charging market rates for those outside their community to enable a break-even situation) is one solution the govt could provide a starting-up investment on

Wouldn't the cost and availability of land make this a non-starter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭sh81722

Chinese don't hang about and they really have a can do attitude and it's the delaying the inevitable to have this investigation about state subsidies. Europe subsidises car makers as well indirectly, but if they are not productive and innovative enough to survive it will just be throwing good money to the businesses that will still eventually fail.

I wish we had more drive to do stuff instead of having endless meetings about meetings.

These Zeekrs look really cool btw, Chinese designs really are getting handsome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

100% agree with this.

Many EV cheerleaders who should know better are willfully ignorant to the fact that the goal of Chinese government subsidised manufacturers is to undercut and eliminate European competition, and the fact that they're ahead in EV's makes that job so much easier.

Advertisement