Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 Extraction Issue

Options
  • 16-04-2024 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Bought a second hand 10/22 a few months ago and all is good except for it doesnt extract rounds when its hand cycled. It will extract and eject perfectly fine when shot. I probably had only 1 failure to extract out of 300 rounds shot so far but if i attempt to use the charging handle to extract a round in the chamber its a 1 in 10 chance the extractor will actually grip onto the casing. The bolt seems to be fully seated and the extractor is going into the notch right by the chamber so im not sure what the issue is. Should I bring it to a gunsmith or just buy a new extractor?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't, and never have, owned a 10/22 so I'm not sure how helpful anything I say will be. In fact it won't be helpful but by asking questions it may spark something useful.

As a semi auto , and it being rimfire, would it be fussy about ejecting unfired rounds simply because it "needs" the round fire to push the case back a tad from the chamber?

I've shot a good few over the years but not to the extent of being very familiar but I have had a few fail to reject when unfired and one lad told me that it's common for it to fail to eject unfired rounds. It's as though he expects it to not work on occasion.

In other words it could be a design flaw with the type of rifle instead of a specific failure with your rifle.

However it's not harm to strip the rifle, bolt and check/clean all areas in case of crud build up.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭keith s

How far back does it get the unfired round?

Or does it not even pull it back a small bit?

If it does pull out part of the way before it "let's go" of the round, have you tried with and without a mag in?

Have you taken the bolt out for a look, the extractor on the bolt has a spring that can get weak over time.

The extractor itself could be dirty (a toothbrush can be handy to clean).

There are also aftermarket extractors, cheap enough and handy to fit.

Post edited by keith s on

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Wadi14

What barrel are u using, has it a match chamber.

What ammo are you using

Have you cleaned and scrubbed the chamber.

In a safe place, making sure your holding the bolt safely to the rear hold the rifle so the barrel is vertical, drop a live round into the chamber it should drop easily into the chamber if it sticks before going fully home, the chamber is dirty and needs cleaned.

If after cleaning the chamber thoroughly the rounds still don't drop freely in, then its the ammo most likely, my 22 wont even chamber Aquila 22 never mind firing it.

If you have a tight match chamber the bullet head may be sticking in the lands and groves in the barrel, most match chambers wont extract a live round.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ExtractorSpring72

@Wadi14 Stock Ruger Barrel, no match chamber

Whatever ammo i use wether its eley subs hp, sk semi, aquila super, s&b rn and hp, stingers whatever it will rarely ever manually extract, no issues when fired.

Just done the little experiment, chamber is very dirty. secondhand and the gun dealer didnt clean it so i gave it a fairly basic clean, didnt have any rods so didnt do the barrel. Have some coming in the post. could be its so dirty the grime is actually holding the cartridge in place and the extractor just cant grip on, or the extractor slot is also blocked? Thanks for your help

@keith s Sometimes it only gets the rim of the case maybe out just before the actual bullet would be exposed from the chamber, so the casing would be the only thing sticking out from the chamber but 99% of the time it doesnt even grip on.

Tried with and without a mag, more of a success rate of extracting without a magazine in but not much difference. Ill give the bolt a good clean but last time i took it apart the extractor and extractor spring still looked alright, ill give the spring another look tonight.

Might just get the kidd extractor if this continues after i give the barrell and chamber a proper clean. Much appreciate the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

Hi there,

See as the problem is only with hand cycling my thinking is that its to

do with how the bolt is seated or perhaps with the bolt buffer which

is behind the bolt. When fired the bolt pushes back with a lot of force

whereas manually there is less force.

I recommend you take out the trigger assembly and bolt/buffer and inspect

and replace carefully after cleaning thoroughly.

Plenty of videos on youtube showing the process (not that difficult).

J

gave the barrel a thorough clean, sorted it works flawlessly now. Thanks all

Advertisement