Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭ronjo

I dont like Trump but these are all the reasons he is way better than Biden

……………………………………..

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

One event. You got me. Biden's back everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

@KevMayo88

Whatever about Trump, he at least seems to have vigour and an energy that Biden does not.

Yes, and whatever about Hitler, at least he didn't smoke and drink like Churchill did.

Your 'whatever about…' is doing the work of ten factories in China pulling a double shift in terms of what it glosses over. I'll say it flatly - a weekend at Biden's would be far better than Trump who incited a riot at the US Capitol over a lie about the election he wilfully spread and is currently being prosecuted for. Do you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

His rallies invariably involve long tangents that make little to no sense. So comparing to the state of the union is fair. The latter was incredibly well received while the Trump rallies amount to two hours of raving.

And the fact that Trump is falling asleep during his own criminal trial is pretty telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not to mention Trump telling his supporters about a horrible situation with an illegal aldillegdenathen

Age is against both Biden and Trump and we could trade clips of them both until the cows come home, but they're both prone to being old, mumbly f*cks. Neither has the upper hand on the other in that regard.

• Advertisement

Trump is also evil, vindictive, petty, spiteful, mendacious and narcissistic in addition to being an old mumbly f*ck, with no business near the Oval Office.

Unfortunately, there are people who would want to see him elected again just so they could watch a replay of your one on her knees screaming, "NOOOOOO!!!", and would take that even in exchange for the worst vision of what Trump would try to do with his time back in office.

Pretty short-sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MAGA mindset of spite and hate, a policy of wreckers…

Have absolutely zero positive idea or attempt to improve people's lives.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

Trump will be the saviour of America.

Look at the state of the world under Biden. Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Gaza/Iran. The world has run riot under a weak and woke US. I'm half expecting China to invade Taiwan for Biden's final few months in power at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

The presidents doctors will fill him full of just the right amount of amphetamines to get him through, and the same for Trump.

If you don't think this happens you aren't paying attention to their remarkable one off performances on crucial events.

Like he was the saviour from 2016-2020 when he threw away the election win by his incompetent handling of covid, costing American lives in the process?

Trump's plan for Ukraine is to let Russia run riot with it. But somehow that wouldn't be 'weak' to you. How that is 'weak' compared to what Biden is actually doing you are unable to explain.

Trump's plan for Gaza was to let Israel 'finish the job', whatever that means. How that is 'weak' compared to what Biden is doing? Biden just deployed US forces to protect Israel to try to de-escalate tensions.

Those are self discrediting contradictions you end up posting when you echo MAGA propaganda / social media cues.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There are only 150 million or so of us eligible for the office. We don't have a lot to choose from. It's understandable.

I don't know if abortion is going to be quite the mobilising issue that the Democrats think/hope it's going to be, except insofar as it would be a tangential effect. There is little talk of a federal abortion ban. Sure, one or two Congresscritters have mentioned it, but I think most voters realise that it's a state-level fight. Having either a direct referendum on the matter as some states have done, or simply choosing state candidates on the basis of protecting abortion rights in the states may well get people out to the polls who would not have done so, and while they are there, they may as well cast their votes on the Federal election side as well, but just because they vote one way on the abortion issue doesn't guarantee that they will vote the same way on the federal candidates. The perfect example of this was the California presidential election of 2008: Obama's candidacy brought in particular minority voters out in droves in California… but while they were there, they also cast state-level votes… and enshrined in the California Constitution that marriage was one man and one woman only. (Prop 8, later reversed by the courts, but that wasn't a result of voting). Something similar happened in California 2016: Clinton got record numbers of voters out, Trump got fewer in California than Romney did in 2012. But while they were there, the voters also took the decidedly less Democratic-party step of rejecting a ban on capital punishment (Prop 62), and indeed voting for the other referendum changing it to be faster and cheaper (Prop 66, that one was upheld by the courts).

Perhaps worse, if abortion is the one issue getting you out which otherwise you would stay home, another interesting factlet is that the infrequent voters recently have been pro-Trump. https://abcnews.go.com/538/vote-back-trump/story?id=109090626 And I don't think Trump has ever stated (even amongst all his other flip-flopping on matters) that he would support a federal abortion ban. It seems to be one of the few things he's been consistent on.

So as a result, I would say that abortion would be a significant factor in only a few States, those where there legitimately is a good chance it can be changed. Florida being an obvious case in point as it's on the November ballot, much like it was in Kentucky a year ago. It's on the ballot in New York as well, but realistically, are a few more or less voters going to make a difference as to which way New York votes in federal elections? It's not on the ballot in Arkansas, so would be more a state legislature voting thing, but same question applies. Are they going to change the federal elections much?

But again, as I said above, being a significant factor in attendance is not necessarily a determinant in which way the federal votes will be cast. "OK. I want to vote in November to enshrine into the Florida Constitution that abortion will be protected until viablilty…. That's that done. Now what? Oh. My congresscritter. Now, what affects me more as a 60-something year old near/actual-retiree?" (There are lots of those in Florida). If the candidates don't say "I'm for a national abortion ban", then for most folks it'll come down to other subjects. Border security. Ukraine aid. Israel support. Student debt. Healthcare reform. Global warming. Veterans benefits. Whatever. They've already voted on abortion, that's dealt with. They can use their federal vote on other matters. Those other matters would be topics for future posts, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,684 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

without any signs huh

https://news.yahoo.com/dimbulb-trump-torched-rambling-attempt-042438659.html

I don’t find you credible.

Trump couldn’t even do a live address after the January 6 attack. I know which I’m more concerned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

Yeah, but you'd still have to vote for him over a crazy warmonger like Biden. And I think that's the mindset of many Americans right now.

Biden didnt start any wars. Thats just sound bite propaganda to dupe the ignorant.

Trumps approach is to stand back and let Russia massacre Ukraine without the US helping Ukraine defend itself.

Does that make Trump a "massacre monger" by your standard?

As for calling Biden crazy, thats self discrediting nonsense thats not fooling anyone paying attention.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Trump only recently said Netanyahu should commit genocide in Palestine. In relation to Russia, he seems like he'll just let them take any territory they want....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its hard to imagine this would be a close election if it wasnt for social media.

You can see above the amount of lies being spewed but perhaps for the majority they arent lies in their heads.

"Trump has no signs of fatigue".. you just have to listen to the inane rambles he makes to know that a lie.

"Biden is a warmonger".. what wars did he start?

Christ and its only gonna get worse over the next 7 months.

While being majorly out raised by Biden, Trump instead of using campaign funds to campaign, is funneling it back into his businesses

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/18/trump-campaign-funnels-money-to-his-businesses/73344744007/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭crusd

Jesus - the grift is strong. The mentally captured MAGA's will ignore it

Ohio Republican U.S. Senate candidate Bernie Moreno's campaign spent $109,000 on "event catering" at Mar-a-Lago in April, December and January of 2023, records show. Trump endorsed Moreno in December. Moreno won the primary in March and will face three-term Democratic Sen. Sherrod Brown in November.

Nevada U.S. Senate candidate Jim Marchant's campaign spent about $67,000 at Mar-a-Lago on "event venue rental and catering" in November and December. Trump backed Marchant in his unsuccessful bid to be Nevada's secretary of state in 2022.

A PAC called Giuliani Defense spent $2,400 on fundraising expenses and food at Trump's golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey in January. That PAC has spent $540,000 on legal fees, according to FEC filings

ince days after the 2020 election, the leadership PAC Save America spent more than $72.5 million on legal bills to many of the same firms that are representing him in his civil and criminal cases

Is basically fleecing donors to maintain the illusion of success.

Current polling only reflects the core base of both parties because the 40% independents don't declare until election day. So either party having a poll lead at this stage means zip.

When it comes closer to the day most of those independent will hold their noses and go with Biden because putting crazy back into the whitehouse is good for no one.

Its going to be brutal and the more time trump spends in court the brutal it will get for him. No one likes the look of a felon in a position where their known grifting will hurt their country and their own pocket.

Brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

The problem the dems have created though, is that Trump was already a larger than life character and all the shenanigans lately have only served to make him a more prominent figure.

The Americans love a bit of entertainment, and with Trump he's the gift that keeps on giving. Their tactics have actually served to relegate Biden to a bit of a boring snooze-fest by comparison.

On the one hand they have created a pantomime villain, on the other hand a sort of martyr…

It would be easier to dismiss this cult of personality aspect to the election in another country, but in the USofA it's certainly a big part of the dynamic. The polling seems to reflect this apathy towards Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Americans love a bit of entertainment, and with Trump he's the gift that keeps on giving. Their tactics have actually served to relegate Biden to a bit of a boring snooze-fest by comparison.

On the one hand they have created a pantomime villain, on the other hand a sort of martyr…

How far do they want to push that though? Would they be prepared to risk this scenario again at what would this time be the definitive end of Trump's presidential tenure, under the Constitution anyway?

The 40% of independents exist because they are sick of the shenanigans and where most of the sensible people have migrated to - but thats not enough to vote for a demagogue and the sensible choice is never Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Biden in an interview with Howard Stern this afternoon say he will happily debate Trump.

Think about how bad Trump came off in the 2020 debates and then consider that he has only gotten more unhinged since then. I'm fairly sure Trump would make no attempt at debating whatsoever and just be going for verbal gut punches on Biden the whole time.

Would it even benefit Biden? You could say that it would because it would give the American public a very good look at Trump, but haven't they been getting that the whole time anyway? If your mind isn't going to be made up by the blanket news coverage and fact that he's facing FOUR SEPARATE CRIMINAL TRIALS, then what the hell would a couple of debates do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭Sparko

The response:

I think Trump will continue to publicly say he's happy to debate but he probably won't actually do it while blaming everyone else for why it won't happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm sorry, "any time any place as long as it is at one of my rallies with a partisan audience" is an utterly stupid take even from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

The irony too, quite literally a Trumpist «safe space». It’s clever in it’s own twisted way. Now he can claim that he was totally up for a debate, while leaving out the bit about doing it in a mutually agreed setting as was the tradition.

Trump only managed one debate last time, and that was because he couldn’t behave like an adult in a debate. I fully expect that when he’s ultimatly invited to the traditional POTUS TV Debate, he’ll cook up some excuse about how it’s «rigged», and then never turn up.

Stupid in content but not that stupid in intent because these kinds of statements are meant for his followers, first and foremost, and they'll swallow anything he serves them. In fact, the stupider the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I hope that someone in the Trump camp realises that he can't rely on just MAGA numbers, and needs some of the middle ground and thinks the only way of gaining that middle ground is debating Biden.

The one thing Trump could do with, bizarrely, is to try and get RFK involved in the debates. That way it'll be two Vs Biden, Trump won't look like the most insane candidate and (I believe) RFK gains more voters from Biden than Trump.

Advertisement