Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger The End ?

Options
  • 14-04-2024 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭

What are people thinking at this point ?

He Probably should have announced it or will after this ?

But looks last time out for Tiger .

Still an extraordinary achievement to get back and make cut ...

But like all of Tigers' career ..was always a mystery and was hard to know the truth about where he is or what the plan is.

He does seem a more sort of reflective and grateful person towards the end of his career.

Was some ride for fans...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Doesn't look like he can play 4 rounds anymore, and certainly not at the standard required to compete. Sad to see as a big fan of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Typical Tiger ..just as I post this ..he looks solid on back..

Playing off by heart in reality .

Your kinda seeing his mental toughness in action...

But ultimately for what purpose at this point..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Three Masters played since the crash - three cuts made with this one being made with several shots to spare. Even with the talk about being there to win, I think making the cut will be more important to him than he lets on. I could see him playing the Masters, Genesis and a few others for a few years yet (while not coming close to winning anything) but skipping some of the other majors. Even though Open Championship venues may be technically an easier walk for him than Augusta, he won't fancy playing in wind and rain, getting in and out of pot bunkers and trudging through wet rough.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I said it in the other thread last night, he looks busted.

Looks like he’s in pure agony going round there, sweating like mad. Can’t even bend to pick the ball out the hole.

It’s probably just his competitive nature keeping him going but he has nothing to prove to anyone.

In fact this kind of - getting around and the crowd good will - will only go on for so long.

He needs to judge that too - would be sad if he goes on at this too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭finglashoop

He'll be rolled out for tv as long as he allows

Its an absolute shame watching him limp around.

Like a punch drunk boxer lacing up the gloves again.

Your kinda saying it the way I feel - would have been a joy if he went - OK - this is my last , nice sign off.

But maybe we are just seeing one more part of what made him great - ultimately some sort of deeper character flaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its golf...Tom watson should have won a major at 60....

Tiger will rock up to the odd event and do ok....he will be grand...

It is absolutely nothing like a boxer going on too long....

Its golf...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Its been an incredible performance when you consider the condition of his body. The guy is held together with nuts and bolts and is clearly in a lot of pain. As @awec said, he has nothing to prove.

I'd like to see him hang it up at this stage. He has a wealth of experience so he'd be an excellent addition to analyst panels in his retirement. And of course, it would still be special seeing him tee it up at Augusta every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

he's not going to stop.

did andy murray stop? is Nadal going to stop?

hell, do i stop at my chosen talent..

no.

he'll be playing for the next 10 years.

• Advertisement

The analogy is relevant - as it is a hard watch when someone goes on too long.

Grand for top level pros coming back and all fun and entertainment.

But when you are watching one of the greatest players off all time - almost struggling to walk the 4 rounds, It is getting to a certain point it is hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I don't doubt that's exactly what he wants to do. He's clearly struggling badly though. His game is certainly still good enough to compete, in my opinion. Whether his body will allow it is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I feel like we were cheated out of a decade of prime Tiger. I'm sure he feels something similar. All seems a bit pointless now whatever he's trying to do.

It's sad. There will be nothing like him ever again.

If your body can't hold up then you don't have the game. Hell he'd even struggle on the seniors tour

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭zocklie

I think some context to tigers weekend is needed.

He had a VERY long day on Friday, played 23 holes, from first thing in the morning to late afternoon. It was quite cold when he started Friday, which we know he struggles with, and can imagine if you're already hurting from the morning it'll take its toll later on in the day.

I think maybe the open might be too much for him if the weather is poor, but I definitely think he could play the masters every year and possibly the other 2 majors.

He's also short on competitive rounds, if he can get those more regularly and manage his body, there's no reason he couldn't play competitively for at least another 5 years

Think that is very very ambitious - don't see that.

If he is playing in that much pain / restriction - he will have to take more and more drugs - and will eventually have even more injuries.

I'd be surprised if he is around in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Great for him if he's able to keep going, I just hope the TV coverage starts to adjust.

It is though. His body cant cope and its only his **** insane determination gets him through.

I didn't think he looked particularly busted this time and the sweating he was doing wasn't necessarily due to pain. Also he was laughing and joking at times which was a positive sign.

He is swinging the club well and getting decent ball speed. I'd say as long as he keeps doing that he will want to continue, Even if the walking is an issue, he'll try to convince himself that he can still compete as the walking is "just a supporting activity". Whereas when other past Masters champions have continued to turn up years after their prime with no chance of making the cut, their walking was ok but their golf wasn't good enough.

If a boxer continues too long...he could be killed...or end up brain damaged....

If tiger continues too long...he'll be abit sore walking around playing golf....

Lets have some perspective here...he's not like a warrior going out on his shield.....

• Advertisement

Why are boxers being mentioned?

A previous poster compared Tiger to a punch drunk boxer lacing up the gloves again....

I cringed.

The analogy isnt about the outcome of the activity

Its that neither can see that its a bad idea to give it another go.

He cant walk around. How he can swing club is irrelevant if he cant get round the course.

Look - we shouldn't let the boxing thing detour the talk.

But Sky and everyone else - and in the deeper part of Tigers' head there is some sort of odd battle going on.

It isn't life or death or boxing - and maybe Tiger needs that bit of perspective.

There is more to life then coming last after making the cut - what is it all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

In interview , he has declared for the rest of the majors.

One a month.

Should be doable.

Its doable. Of course it is.

If he makes the cut he'll finish last though as his body cant cope with playing golf for 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭allybhoy

The thing that annoys me and its no fault of Tigers, is when he plays he dominates the already limited TV coverage. We can see he is in pain and struggling to get around, Not only do we see every single shot, but they also then go out of their way to show how much pain he is in, slow Mo's of him hobbling around, putting something on his back and zooming in on the pain patch, it just feels exploitative.

I would also be concerned long term about how much pain meds he has to take to get through a round given his history with the DUI in 2017 and rehab.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I think maybe he'll try next year's for sure, 25 consecutive cuts at the masters has more definition to it, quarter century, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭CONSI

he will keep playing till Charlie turns pro, have a round with Charlie either at Augusta or St Andrews, pass the Baton on and sit back as Charlie take Sun Day Red forward.

• Advertisement

Having thought about this some more, I'm a bit more optimistic that we'll see Tiger playing for a few years even though I doubt he'll be in serious contention again because of various factors including the standard of the competition.

At the Masters, he played some good golf, made the cut comfortably, walked the 4 rounds and was seen joking and laughing during some of it. I think the attitude now will be if he can do it once, he can do it again - but better. That is the athlete's mindset. However I still think that bad weather and wet rough (i.e. Open Championships) or even hacking out of thick dry rough won't be fun and could exacerbate physical problems. If he sprays the ball about on his drives at the next three Majors, I could see no cuts made and maybe some WDs.

Advertisement