Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American roads

Options
  • 14-04-2024 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭

Are we seriously suggesting we can not discuss USA roads on this forum? Tell me why we can not discuss roads in America on Boards?

Really? A roads forum.

Really?

I'll try again

This is magnificent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I don’t understand why this thread is being closed constantly. There is no issue in discussing American roads in my mind.

The issue is some posters coming in this thread just arguing they are not needed when the thread was clearly labelled as an appreciation thread.

Sea to Sky Highway in British Columbia. Absolutely stunning drive.

(Liberal with my definition of “American”)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thank you 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The scenery is incredible and allways has been but the roads are very expensive monotonous concrete death trap eye sores, which are gradually destroying the scenery. But if concrete is your thing I guess they are fascinating. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

You'd have a long tough walk over mountains, through canyons, deserts, rivers and swamps to get a look at the scenic sights without those roads though.

And that's without taking the weather into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This "death trap eyesore" provides a safe crossing of the Rockies that's open all year round and can accommodate large vehicles. It is a necessity, and has most likely repaid its CO2 build emissions by now simply by providing a more direct link between places that people already needed to go. If it wasn't there, people would fly and freight would take a longer more demanding route.

And this isn't some bloated mega-highway: Like most of the Interstate network, the road in this video is 2 lanes each way for most of its length, with a cross section that is no wider than our own inter-urban motorways.

US transport planning has failed in some areas, especially in relying on private car transport around cities, but the Interstate Highway system itself is a major success story.

I had a disagreement with @Kermit.de.frog on the old thread about whether the massive freeways surrounding Dallas were a triumph or a sign of failed transport planning, but when it comes to builds like this, we're entirely in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

One thing about crossing the Rockies on I70 is how you go from flat green plains to mountains to desert so quickly.

This is another one from Flagstaff to Pheonix which shows what the gradual loss of elevation does. I think it's fantastic. You don't see such contrast anywhere else. The elevation drops by over a mile here and you're in to desert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 KylaDecker

We can easily discuss roads in the USA on this forum. I see no reason why we can't discuss road systems and infrastructure in America here. This is a completely natural and interesting topic for discussion on a forum dedicated to roads.

Advertisement