Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink Internet in West of Ireland

Options
  • 11-04-2024 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I was hoping someone could tell me what speeds they are achieving in Mayo or the West of Ireland generally using Starlink. I am moving house and Eir are being very difficult to deal with.

Thanks in advance, Pat

Post edited by delly on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭BeerFarts

I'm in east Galway and have been using Starlink for the last year. It averages around 150mbps but you'll often see 350mbps. I've never had any problems with speeds and we are heavy users (2-3TB a month).

Just make sure you've no obstructions and you'll be flying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Same, but West Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I'm in East Mayo and normally get 300Mbps+ download and 20Mbps upload

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Just to head off any "What about north Cavan/east Tyrone/wherever?" … Starlink isn't like old fashioned geosynchronous satellites. Where you are doesn't matter a damn, as long as you are in coverage. What matters is how clear a view of the sky your Dishy will have.

You can check this by downloading the app on your smartphone and doing a coverage test by showing the app the sky from as close to the place you will install Dishy. Mine is installed on a flat roof, so I literally lay on my back on the roof and did the test there.

This site won't work on a smartphone, but if you open it on a laptop, and zoom into Ireland, you will see how the satellites are constantly flying over us from west to east:

https://starlink.sx/

The fact that the most northerly satellites cross the country on a line from Clifden to Dublin doesn't mean that anything north of that line gets no service. @CivilEx mentions getting 300+ in East Mayo. I typically get around the 200Mbps mark in Mid-Tipperary (results from the other thread):

I suspect that because I don't have a clear view to the north-east (a line of tall trees about 10m away from Dishy) may be why my speeds aren't as good as @CivilEx's. Here is my Dishy's coverage right now:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭US3

How much is starlink per month , and is there any installation costs . Those speeds seem decent. I only get 40mbps download from my eir broadband!! Watching sky stream or netflix is a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Subscription is €50 per month.

Installation is your responsibility, either do it yourself or get someone in.

It's an easy enough install if you're DIY handy, if not I've seen quotes up to €400 to install and setup over on Facebook Starlink Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

200 to 250 mb around 20 upload, 50 euro a month , no brainer at the moment if you can't get fibre. just moved as mobile signal is flaky in comparison.

the kit is dear enough but hey it works.

and you get a box with space x technologies on it

sw donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Kit is relatively cheap now, €150 for the refurbished dish plus €40 for the ethernet adapter, shipping is €24.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I just bought new, but compared to what we had before and its cheaper than eir mobile broadband ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 patrick1811

Thanks to everyone for your help, that's my mind made up. Going to get it ordered. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ireland is so small that where within the country you are shouldn't impact service much. At any given time around 3 sats are serving the entire nation and each spot is a wide area.

Advertisement