Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance after sale of car

Options
  • 08-04-2024 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

I sold my car yesterday, firstly forgot i to take the disc out. Secondly my new car won’t be arriving for another 2/3weeks. Do i need to do anything or is it ok just to leave the old car insured until new one arrives?

Also does it affect the driving of other cars because i no longer own a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, you have to inform your insurance company and tell them that you no longer own the car insured by them. Why would you continue to insure a car you no longer own? They will put your policy on hold temporarily until you collect your new car. And yes once your policy is on hold all the extensions that it includes go on hold also.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭chrisd2019

Tell your insurance company, you may be able to suspend cover and use any refund due against your change of car costs, depends on your insurers procedures.

Yes it does effect your driving of other cars, as this cover is based on you having your own car primarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Thank you for the replies. I can have use of my fathers car. Would i be able to transfer my insurance to that car even though it has it’s own insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭con747

Just get him to add you as a named driver on his policy. You can't have 2 policies on 1 car AFAIK.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No you cannot as one of the questions they will ask is if you are the registered owner of the car and obviously you are not. Easiest thing is to just get your father to add you as a named driver on his insurance policy on his car.

BTW, driving of other cars extension normally only gives you third party cover on the other car. So if you crashed your father's car into another car, your insurance company may only cover the cost of repair to the other car. They would not cover the cost of repairing your father's car.

• Advertisement

Interestingly i was able to temporarily transfer the insurance onto his car with no questions asked via the online portal. I’ll be added as a named driver in the morning anyway.

It begs the question though. How many people are driving uninsured collecting their car they bought of a private seller not realising or thinking it’s still insured making their own policy they transferred invalid. The person who bought my car drove 2 hours home and probably had invalid insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

Whenever I've bought a car in Ireland, I was able to call up in advance to have it swap over if on the weekend, or just called them up on the spot and had it swapped over.

I had a rental recently while my car was in the garage. When my car was ready, I picked up a friend, dropped them at the garage, and drove alone to return the rental. I then called my insurance co. to make 110% sure it was swapped back over to my car, told the friend they were now insured on my car, and had them pick me up in my car.

To be honest though, they really didn't seem to care whatsoever about the minute by minute timing, just that I let them know the swap over was happening at one point or another that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Advise your insurer immediately when the car is sold. They will temporarily suspend the policy, until you get your new car. As cover is suspended, the driving of other cars extension is also suspended. Don't worry about leaving the disc in the car, insurers may just ask you to sign a lost disc form.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

info corrected -

almost all policies cover driving other cars that you don't own, however once you have signed the transfer and paid money, you own the car. So the best advice is to change it online there and then (very easy) or bring another person with you who will be insured under their policy to drive the car

Post edited by JVince on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,875 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ownership transfers when you pay, that's how you are able to transfer your insurance when you buy. If you buy a brand new car you don't get the VLC till you tax it, does that mean that you can't drive or insure your new car till you get the VLC?

Your driving other cars extension doesn't cover you once you buy a car so you have to get a friend or relative to drive it back, spouses jointly own property so they won't be able to drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

thanks - checked that - info corrected

Its the road tax that I was thinking of.

What happens if the buyer goes through a toll or gets a parking ticket on the way home after purchasing the car? I have heard the previous owner will be liable until the cert is sent in and officially transferred. So doesn’t that contradict the ownership transfers when you pay?

you will get a letter about it and on the same should be a section to fill out that you weren’t driving the car. Cameras take pic of reg plate and the driver as well.

A mechanic told me once as well when you sell a car note the time on the logbook beside the date and signature so you have that as well. Take a picture and if it’s necessary you can send that to etoll apparently they have quashed fines for him on the back of it.

Never had the problem myself so I can’t say for sure either way but it makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭User1998

The only reason Eflow send a fine to the previous owner is because their system hasn’t updated in time. They work off Dept of Transport ownership details and it takes a few days for the ownership to change.

You don’t have to write the time on the logbook. Just call Eflow and tell them you sold it that day and they’ll cancel the fine and send it to the new owner instead.

if you sell privately on a weekend it certainly would not be a few days! Last time I changed ownership it took 2 weeks.

You wouldn’t have to but I suppose no harm either sure!

I have heard that parking tickets have to be paid by the person registered to the car even if sold to the new owner that hasn’t been officially transferred over yet . Is this still true?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insurance forum mods?

Advertisement