Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Aux battery has now failed again on Outlander PHEV

Options
  • 06-04-2024 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

About 10-12 months ago I got loads of errors flashing (asc system service required/ABS service required/EV system etc etc). Diagnosed it to a low voltage auxillary battery. Replaced it at a cost of 320 quid. Everything was fine since. I've just got same errors popping up again. I check the voltage on the new battery and its 12.4v at best.

Any ideas? Bad alternator maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Could be. Check with a multimeter across the terminals while the car is running to see what's coming through from the alternator. Should be about 14.4V

If it's the battery it should be under warranty. They generally come with a two year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that this is a common issue with phevs that don't do big mileage.

A neighbour has a phev Toyota, and the battery has had to be replaced., as it was regularly going flat.

The solution from the main dealer.. take it on a long drive twice a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you leave the keys particularly near the car when it's parked up? I've heard of a similar issue with the Toyota Auris that the car is making the connection to the keys and drawing the battery down over time, solution was to move the keys away or disable keyless entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Do PHEVs drive the alternator when driving off the traction battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'm not sure, but it seems that it doesn't.

I'm open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I got a 12 v warning on my 2020 2 series phev this week, I presumed it was kids on holidays and the car was idle more and I did not bother charging it, to avoid sitting at 100%.

Having charged and driving around the warning has not popped up.

From a quick google the outlander charges the 12v from the main battery, so that suggests to me you might have been in a similar position.

I found this also,

If the WiFi is enabled, the car apparently charges the 12V battery daily (from the main drive battery) even if it's just parked and unplugged, but if WiFi is disabled, it won't ever charge the 12V battery unless you connect it to a EVSE or put it in READY mode.

BUT, without WiFi, it only loses about 15% SoC per week. So whatever amount of power the WiFi consumes compared to the rest of the vehicle must be significant. It's likely not just the WiFi but an entire computer that's kept running 24/7 when the vehicle is switched off.

Also read that it only every charges the 12 v to 80%, if low use/charging followed by idleness the battery might never get a chance to reach 80%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Miscreant

There is an entire multi page discussion on the Outlander PHEV here:

Might be a better place to get the info as it is specific to the model and there are plenty of owners in there who can offer advice and experience.

Advertisement