Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are heatpumps the only non fossil fuel option to heat your house?

Options
  • 06-04-2024 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Are heatpumps the non fossil fuel option to heat your house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GloriaBog

We and some of our neighbours use firewood. I don't think this is a fossil fuel as it grows again. Does this help?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Wood isn't considered a fossil fuel as it's generally carbon neutral.

But aside from that, some houses are so well built and insulted that an electrical element in an air conditioning system is enough to heat them.

Passive houses also don't need "wet" heating systems

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Technically heatpumps aren't non fossil as the grid isn't 100% renewable.

But as the grid gets more and more renewable the heatpump becomes more renewable.

Other options are HVO and bio gas but still what is powering them/feeding the production of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Shoog

Pellet stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The only viable and accessible option for people in Ireland I would say. You could use electric heating which is expensive, or wood heating which has its own issues. I think people have issues with reliability of pellet stoves.

That said, with heat pumps you need an air tight house to get the efficiency from them.

• Advertisement

You don't need a airtight house.

Air tightness has nothing to do with efficiency.

It's running temperature/type of heatpump.

You can heat a drafty barn if you have the right amount of heat emitters.

It will require the same amount of heat energy into the house as gas or oil.

Put a heat pump into a none airtight house and you are guaranteeing massive bills. Electricity is 4x the price of the alternatives so using a heat pump with a COP of 3x will be more expensive than using gas or oil.

The SEAI recommend a BER rating of at Least B so that the cost of a heat pump is manageable.plenty of people who installed heating pumps into older leaky houses talk of horrendous electricity bills.

Put a properly designed system in with the right size and amount of heat emitters (radiators, underfloor etc) you'll hit the efficiency figures.

Nothing to do with air tightness. With gas and oil most don't even get the flow temperatures low enough to get into the condensing mode.

A BER isn't a good guide either.

When getting my solar in, I had to get a ber.

My old oil boiler at the time put it down to a c2 I think.

If I had a condensing oil boiler, my 1980's house would have been a B. As my Ber was just a box ticking exercise for the solar grant I didn't care as long as I got the C rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

A family member wants to install a heat pump into the parents 1950's semi. The house will also have external insulation, solar (no batteries) and new windows installed. I have a concern about how much electricity it would require to heat the house to the right temp for elderly parents (90+). I think a combi boiler may be a better option. All I am told is it has to be a heat pump, with no explanation as to why it's better. I think they just want to have one source of energy rather than two. Any thoughts?

If there are grants involved the SEAI use the grants as leverage to get as many heat pumps installed, but this may not be the right option for everyone.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a full refit.

If it's grant funded, yes a heatpump is the only option. Thats the grant rules. You don't have to take the grant, it's not mandatory.

But sounds like the house will be very well insulated, the heat loss will be low, this requiring less heating. The heatpump will be able to run very efficiently.

It would suit your parents, I dare say they keep the heat on all the time now as they are in the house the majority of the time.

What are peoples monthly/bi monthly gas bill these days?

Thanks to both replies.

Yes there are grants involved. Grant for new boiler, not heat pump. All upgrades are delayed years as family member pursues their own personal agenda. There is more to this but it would only derail thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

A few of my elderly neighbours have had EWI done and part of the stipulation for the grant was to replace the old oil boilers with a new gas one. Heat pump specific grants require the house to meet a certain BER rating at the end of the work.

As for work on a 50's build, I have done similar but I have also replaced rads and insulated suspended timber flooring. While adding a heat pump may be future proofing the house somewhat, from my point of view it adds a level of complexity and potential disruption that your parents do not need at this age. I would, however, recommend a battery for the solar if the option is available as it gives greater flexibility for charging on cheap rates etc. Again, with your parents at the age they are I really wonder how much benefit they would see from Solar. Insulation and efficient heat source is obviously a no brainer, and again, a heat pump could add a level of complexity that only serves to disrupt their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Dubwat

@Kaisr Sose : I'd also consider the age of the parents at 90+. They might not appreciate the disruption and may not understand how to work the new equipment. If they're comfortable, maybe just let them enjoy their lives and fix the house (if required) afterwards?

My father is a 79 yr old widower with early dementia. We'd love to make him as comfortable as possible but he says no to everything (plus he's a technophobe). So, after a battle, we got him a new boiler (but same controls inside house) a few years back and now a new bathroom (after another fight, lol). But the main thing is he's happy and comfortable.

Thanks again to both

I totally agree with your points. A well insulated home with a high efficiency boiler and solar with batteries is perfect. We have made this point but get nowhere. It appears to be what they want long term versus what is best for our parents, at their age, right now. Our sibling lives with them and uses this as a reason why it's not our business. (The rest of us live a long distance away or abroad.)

Our parents asked my sister and I to try and help. We know they desperately need new windows at the very least. We tried to get someone to measure for new windows at our cota. Our sibling would not allow them access do this. It was very annoying. A builder we asked to call in about upgrading the bathroom was also turned away

At this stage all we can think of is to report the matter to Garda or HSE as welfare/undue control issue. I probably should start a seperate thread.

Looking online there's no grant for boiler replacements, but there is one for boiler controls (eg to the likes of a hive etc)

But seems you have much bigger issues to contend with than gas vs heatpumps.

Both will work fine when properly designed and installed, insulation+ windows will keep the house warm, and both will be low cost, as the heat demand is low.

https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/fully-funded-upgrades-for-eligible-homes/

This is the grant a few of my neighbours got. Most of them got upgraded to a gas boiler from an older oil boiler.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The eligibility to that scheme basically means you have to be living in poverty

Well, they are all elderly with someone caring for them or receiving fuel allowances. I would suspect the OPs situation is similar.

Fuel allowance is a qualifying benefit and anyone past retirement age can get fuel allowance if they apply for it. That covers a lot of people not in poverty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Doesn't the warmer homes scheme totally cover everything 100% once you are on the fuel allowance? Maybe it's a case the sibling wants to try and get the lot done now for nothing rather than paying God knows how much on inheritance?

In my experience they never do any checks to see if there's another party living in the house so could be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭con747

I would imagine with the other sibling living there it probably means they would not be eligible but could be wrong. It's only a form to fill in so worth a punt.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Ive known many families where the parent "lives alone" and gets a full grant off the county councils who don't bother checking. So getting this wouldn't surprise me one bit

I think that's the sticking point. They want a heat pump in, the grant wouldn't cover that and would only go as far as doing a boiler upgrade if deemed required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Turf. As long as you cut a piece that is below the minimum age required for fossil formation.

Heat pumps are still partially powered by fossil fuel in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Sorry but that’s totally incorrect. Airtightness is a critical aspect in running an efficient heating system. A drafty house means you are losing heat, this means running the system harder and longer to keep up temperatures and thus costing much more money to run.

Is it though? I'm not talking about how efficient a house is for energy. I am talking about the efficiency of the heat source. Be it gas, oil or heatpump. Comparing heat source with heat source.

Yes a more insulated house will be cheaper to run no matter what it's heat source is.

With the right heat emitters you'll get your gas to almost 95+% , with the flow temperatures being low enough to be in condensing mode as much as possible. If it's running at 70c, it's more like the 80% mark.

Same with heatpumps, with the right emitters you'll get your 400-500% efficiency to beat the gas price. To beat oil, it's even easier.

So the statement that you need an airtight house to run a heatpump efficiently is totally incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JayBee66

What you say makes sense. The HeatPunk simulator shows that if you don't heat a room then other rooms have to work harder because you are losing heat from the heated rooms. Even with doors closed.

I would assume that a draught is going to make a large room of the outside for which your house is going to have to work harder for.

I now have triple glazing, which replaced the warped plastic windows and that has made a big difference on draughts. The unheated house will still be as cold as before the triple glazing but it warms up faster and cools more slowly.

My only problem now is thermal bridging because the house is a bungalow with old fashioned capping on the cavity walls. Hopefully, insulated wallpaper will help. Insulated plasterboard is not doable in my situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But lack of air tightness just allows heat to escape, sure you can make up for that energy loss by adding in more energy, but that costs more money than you would need if your house was more airtight?

Advertisement