Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Cobain - 30 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

And then Alan went and had a fling with his widow!

As she said herself:

"I had never seen Alan Partridge. But I was in a band with people who did know Alan Partridge, so I had to make a record with them constantly saying, “Back of the net!"

All it was, was a couple of shags at the Sunset Marquis and I did not know he was Alan Partridge."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Wow - could be worth a bit …

I clearly remember it, I was in my Junior Cert year, some of the grunge rock girls in my class were absolutely shattered…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Still have unplugged on tape and have no way to play it kind of fitting realy!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'll never understand how I wasn't thrown out of the Point for crowd surfing. Every member of security knew me by the end of the show. What a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

it’s on YouTube, maybe not in full in one go. But the songs are there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

He was murdered. Seriously, look up some of the details of the case. I know some will shout conspiracy theory but it was literally impossible that he could shoot himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've had a massive crush on him for about 28 years now lol. Such a beautiful man.

Was just slightly too young to be into nirvana while he was still alive but about a couple of years later was well into my grunge/rock phase. Their music still stands the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

It was the eyes - such beauty and pain, very sexy combination.

• Advertisement

So many musicians from that era, and the Seattle scene in particular, gone so young

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember reading an interview with Kurt in Q magazine from late 1993 shortly after In Utero was released - and unlike most rockers of the time that were quite homophobic, he was very supportive of gay and lesbian rights, which to a still closeted 18 year old me was extremely heartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah the angst, the music, we were way cooler than todays teenagers…..and i still love a good old mosh to Kurts music, me and my hubbie and the kids lookimg at us like we're nuts! middle aged but still remember the teen spirit! good memories.

My 12 year old actually likes nirvana, she says they are one of the coolest bands ever. I'm also told that the grunge look is back in style. Finally my child considers people of my age slightly cool 😄

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Kurt in concert with Nirvana at the Top Hat, Dun Laoghaire, August 1991

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I'm pretty sure I remember a letter being read out on Arthur Murphys Mailbag by someone asking if RTE were going to show the concert in the RDS and this edition was broadcast just days after the news his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

When I heard about his death, I was in my ex-girlfriend's with the radio on in the background, and it was announced between songs. I had seen Nirvana at the Top Hat but hadn't bothered with the Point gig because I had some sort of boycott of The Point (?) or at least an avoidance.

The coverage on MTV was non-stop for a while, back when MTV was about music.

I really feel like Kurt would turn in his grave about how "nirvana" is a brand now, at least in the US. Target sell a full range including baby grows with the nirvana logo, which I agree are totally cute, but its the absolute antithesis of what he stood for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wait until they have a hologram advertising Just Eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I still remember the day after the news broke, I was in national school when the teacher asked who would you like to offer the prayers for today, someone said Kurt Cobain. Teacher said no straight away ‘we won’t be remembering a drug addict.’
    The teacher was only in his late 20’s at most then, so much for Christian compassion.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

Is it the absolute antithesis of what he stood for though?

He used to ring up the record company to get them to pressure MTV to play the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" more often.

By the time he wrote "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter" he was obviously pretty conflicted about the way he'd become a kind of (deniable) pop star. But he helped put himself in that position imo.

They could've ploughed a furrow as an alternative niche experimental band instead of writing Beatles/Pixies-ish pop punk type music and going all out with promotion and heavy rotation on radio/TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Using that "documentary" as back-up? Lol

It was suicide. As tragic as it was, people need to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

He had an unsurvivable level of heroin in his system. It was impossible for him to move, nevermind shoot himself. I thought it was suicide as well but a basic look at the case details and it's clear it was murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Right. I could name 100 musicians cooler than Cobain.

Probably 100 musicians from the original punk movement alone. Every member of the Clash for starters.

Nothing really cool in that mopey faux angsty overly earnest schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, I think he was cool, so there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Apparently the next Nirvana album was going to be informed by the unplugged performance, more mellow and laid back.

Suppose Foo Fighters would have existed in some form, not sure Grohl would be the big media personality he is now.

We never got to hear a St. Anger style trainwreck from him, which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭yagan

I remember his death, wasn't a massive fan, admired them for blowing the cobwebs out, but weirdly wasn't surprised by the news of his death.

I just never could chime with the nihilistic angst, I felt the same about the smiths when they were big.

I was a Neil Young fan and had been listening to Ragged Glory for the year before Nevermind so I'd already grunged, so to speak.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

From October 1991 to April 1992, Nevermind was heard at every house party I attended in Dublin's flatland. It had a serious impact. After the summer supports to Sonic Youth, they were scheduled to play McGonagles in December '91 (the gig is listed on the back of the Smells Like Teen Spirit 7") but it was cancelled. The Point gig the following June was decent but I'd say they would have been amazing in McGonagles given the buzz that had gathered by then. Remember having to pay upfront to Top Twenty Kilkenny when pre-ordering In Utero on vinyl as they didn't want to be stuck with unsold copies. How times have changed. My son is nearly 18 and is in a couple of bands - all members are massive Nirvana fans - so they still resonate with so many young people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

They played in sir henry's in Cork before anybody knew them, August 20th 91.

Advertisement