Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Cobain - 30 years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

BBC 6 Music are celebrating Cobain today, lots of really good stuff already on the radio already this morning so worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Always appeared older looking to me, when I look back now that hasn’t changed. Even the way he spoke, wiser for someone so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

God rest him, 30 years ? I was just listening to his Bowie cover from Unplugged on the way into work, beautiful tortured voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

He was a bit of a tortured rock star cliche, but they knocked out some amazing albums and b-sides. Was responsible for Brand Grohl ™.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was thinking of this a couple of days ago.

I remember I was in first year in college and in digs. My housemate came into my room that morning and told me because he'd queued up and bought tickets the previous day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I remember hearing about on the news at the time and people talking about it. I was a bit too young to really understand.

It was something for the adults from my perspective, you know those 12-13 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Ya something like 600 million views or thereabouts

I look it up sometimes when in the mood

Bowie was responsible for a few mega covers afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was in secondary school in 94, was quite nerdy and not a Nirvana fan. I first heard about his death in school - not sure when as we probably would have been on Easter holidays on the 5th. I remember that there were some girls crying and I asked somebody what was up. "Did you not hear that Kurt Cobain died. Like, HELLO".

About a month later, Ayrton Senna was killed at the San Marino Grand Prix and when I and anyone else (a small number) known to be F1 fans came into school the next day, we were slagged off and his death was seemingly a source of amusement for some.

It is hard to believe that 30 years have passed since 1994. It was a very memorable year - 94 World Cup, IRA ceasefire etc.

Post edited by BrianD3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Persons who die by suicide often have that wisdom

My son was like that

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

He was murdered. His wife wanted his money. The guy had very poor judge of character. But musically he was a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I remember he wasn't found until the Friday (8 April)

The weather in Ireland was sh*te.

I was in UCD, sharing a flat in Donnybrook. We had MTV on all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ffs, would yea go way outta that nonsense, suicide rates are off the walls with bipolar!

jesus, im old….

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

It was never investigated properly by the police. Lots of fans killed themselves afterwards in copycat suicides.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

I think this is the bit where one says the Conspiracy Theories forum is this way →

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remember Cobain's death very well. I was just turned 19.

I was in my first year in college and a Nirvana fan but couldn't get a ticket for their Dublin gig before they were sold out which was due to held in April 1994. Two of my best mates did manage to get the highly coveted tickets but after his OD in Italy on Nirvana's 1994 European tour, the Dublin gig was cancelled and one my mates got a refund which he used to buy some hash. My other mate held on to his and I believe still has his ticket to this very day!

I'd been out partying with college mates the evening before the news broke. I got home rather inebriated and tired, put on the radio in my bedroom and the news came on that Kurt was dead. It was sad but sadly not really a shock.

It was all over MTV for the following weeks, including the televised vigil/gathering in the park in Seattle where Courtney Love read out his suicide note and was bawling her eyes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Still have my original giant poster from the RDS gig on the wall :D

Were meant to be playing 30 years ago in three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

There has never been a cooler musician.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I could never remember if that gig had been originally scheduled on the day he died, but that poster would put paid to that notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

What's startling is how cheap the tickets were for that Dublin gig - £16.75. In today's money, that comes to just under €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

He was found dead on the 8th of April so the gig date lines up with the actual announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Sebadoh ended up playing the Rock Garden at the end of the summer touring Bakesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Unplugged in New York is still the best live music recording I have ever heard. The Leadbelly and other covered stuff are unreal.

Iconic, will always be my favourite musician/band.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Aha, that's probably what I had remembered so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Still remember watching this the moment it was broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

It’s better to burn out than fade away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box (1993)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Layne Staley's of alice in chains anniversary as well, dead 22 years imagine. Two incredible musicians with amazing voices, gone to soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

June 1992 Belfast Kings hall. Teenage fan club and breeders as support

Curt messed himself up diving backwards through the bass drum. Chris nearly knocked himself out throwing the bass into the air…..I nearly done the same stage diving off the front. Happy times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement