Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building near neighbours boundary

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You don't need a right of way over land that you already own. So no. 17 doesn't need a right of way over land inside the boundary of no. 17, and no. 16 doesn't need a right of way over land inside the boundary of no 16.

Plus, why would no. 17 need a right of way to a garage that stands entirely on the land of no. 16? No. 17 has his own garage on the other side. So I would see no reason for no. 17 to have a right of way over the yellow bit of no. 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I imagine these houses were built with a view that no extensions to the side were possible or envisaged - someone’s now testing that - @OP- has anyone else in the estate (assuming it’s an estate) tried to do similar?

I would imagine that easement covers more than just access to your gas and electric meter? Do you have a side entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭chooseusername

So is no 16 allowed to park their car between the houses or drive their car into their garage

• Registered Users Posts: 26,070 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You'd need to look at the title deeds to say.

By default, a right of way does not include a general right to park. But, obviously, you can draw up a right of way in terms that expressly includes a right to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Walking or driving over the strip would be fine but parking wouldn't be as it could be considered an obstruction. Then again it's down to the actual wording on the deeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

OK well if there is a specific easement regarding the meter boxes, that changes things. All we knew up to now was that 'I have a right to access'

What is the wording? Does it only relate to accessing the boxes.

If so, I'd imagine the neighbour could build from rear up to the of the boxes allowing you access from front only.

Possibly easement allows you access to that entire end of the house for access to meter and for maintenance and improvement. If so, they will be needing to keep a 1m or so away minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ted222

Reinforces my long held belief that a detached house isn’t really detached if you can’t walk around it completely.

Where the side house wall is the effective boundary, you’re at the mercy of the next door neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭csirl

The pic posted suggested that the side wall isnt the boundary - that the OP owns a narrow strip of land adjoining the wall.

some guidance on easements here - @OP would be great to hear what the title deeds state in relation to this easement - it could well be that your neighbours have no right to build on it and must keep it as is for your legal benefit

https://mcmahonsolicitors.ie/easement-overview/#:~:text=An%20easement%20is%20a%20property,to%20one%20property%2C%20over%20another.

That pic is not the op’s exact situation, just an example of a shared access and the issues that can arise.

• Advertisement

I’ve driven around some new estates recently - leaving aside how clumped together the houses are, I’ve seen strange looking set ups that will almost certainly lead to neighbour disputes in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's of course possible to register a series of easements on every lot. The owners obviously you would benefit from that protection. But It’s a ridiculous and lazy way to plan and layout a site imo. It is much more practical to place the boundary in a more practical place to begin with.

Also bear in mind, that there are regulations about where meter boxes can be placed, access to, etc. Such an easement would need to be transferable to the ESB. Making the area practical useless to the owner anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You may have thought you were describing it well, but you were not. An easement was not stated until post 23, (you mentioned a right of access, access to a rear garden is commonly provided without an easement). The meter boxes being on the side does not mean anytihng in itself.

The original question was how close can you build to a boundary/detached house. The answer to that question was correct, you can build abutting it. If a building is build right up to the boundary, your neighbour does not need your permission to turn it it into a semi-detached building, as was claimed.

The legal mechanism that impacts that is an easement. The extent of that impact depends on the exact terms. It could be a 1000mm access strip to your rear garden, it's unlikely to be much more. But it could be as little as a 1m x 1m square at the corner to access the meter box.

In the case of the latter, they would just set the extension 1m back from the building line, and build right up to the boundary. No rights infringed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 schkanico01

I wanted some general input/ advice before I confirmed the boundary and access details. I didnt want to give information before i knew for sure it was an easement and have done my best to describe the situation.

I have been told that abutting the side of a house is frowned upon and unlikely to be granted planning. Have had lots of conversations with the neighbours and hoping to resolve it so they build on the back of the house.

There have been some similar extensions in houses nearby but they were built when the pathway is split halfway with rear access for both houses, on either side of a wall or fence. In this instance we only have rear access on one side (where we park our cars).

I've added a picture that shows a similar situation. This is not my house but could give an idea. The space between is designated car parking.

Thanks all for the input. Looks positive now I've got some professional advice.

Hope it goes ok for you and your neighbours from now on.

Post edited by chooseusername on

Advertisement