Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 5x01 and 5x02- 'Red Directive' 'Under the Twin Moons' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

that was infuriating - like, out of the ~50 billion planets in the quadrant, there should be absolutely loads that match that description. But nope, no thought needed, no narrowing down required, Mike just casually already knows the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,575 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Upstairs watched the second episode. So many things wrong with abd Discovery is worse than Picards Enterprise for running back to a starbase after 1 mission the only difference is most times Picards Enterprise needed something fixed but no Discovery goes back to Starbase to chat and talk about what they will do next. Sure it's OK they they can just Spore drive anywhere in the Galaxy in seconds.

Oh and ye sure a senior captain of 30 years in Starfleet wants to be downgraded to first officer again.

I had to laugh about Reymor saying its a beautiful ship at Discovery lol and that they do not build them like the used too. Eh it got upgraded two seasons ago did it not so its basically just like every other 32century ship.

I there was one series in the whole Star Trek franchise that I wish the words Star Trek were dropped from its this one.

Its not Star Trek

Enterprise had the words Star Trek added when they always should have been there. This should have them dropped and just be called Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So is Tig Notaro done with the series? I know there were problems during COVID which is why she was barely in the last season. But she even got a mention as giving Saru the nickname they suddenly decided to start using.

So next week we'll have the very exciting episode spent dealing with Adira and Grey. (Full disclosure: I googled the first name and just heard the second name mentioned in the episode)

As for the comparison to the MacGuffin treasure hunt, I'm surprised when Micheal and Saru found the fifth verse, that Michael didn't say "They're digging in the wrong place". Yet as with all those games and shows, the other guys always show up in the right place anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think Notaro was always gonna just be a guest star. Will probably pop up to make some quip at some stage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Honestly, it's impossible to predict. They've mismanaged the secondary characters so badly, ignoring the ones they have already (the entire bridge crew), or introducing new pointless ones (Adira/Grey), or introducing new ones, the ignoring them (Reno), that you can't tell who's meant to still be on the ship or even the show at this point.

I've pretty much accepted the shows fundamental flaws, which is making it a bit more digestible at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

She's in a trailer from what I can gather. Not seen it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭pah

Fuk she's annoying, so hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

THAT bugged the crap out of me too. Especially as, right at the START of that scene she says something along the lines of "Oh, you are looking for planets with two moons? Good luck, will take you years". Then, next "Oh, it's THAT one. guaranteed" (And then, of course STILL trying to make "let's fly" a thing - It ain't happening)

Outside of "let's fly" sounding stupid as a phrase I absolutely hate how aware Discovery and SNW are of the "catchphrase"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

In fairness TOS & TNG ended up with catchphases of their own from the classic "He's dead Jim" to Picard's "Make it so". Loads of catchphrases there.

However I'll add that those catchphases came about over time with their use in the show. The "let's fly" Burnham alternative to the standard "Engage" command comes across as a forced attempt to create a catchphrase. I detect a rushed attempt to cement Burnham as a Trek Captain by giving her a "thing" that they can print onto merch.

But they had a problem there:

While the McCoy & Picard catchphrases I mentioned earlier grew out their respective characters and how they interact with others…Burnham's a little harder to assign a catchphrase to since her character has the relative depth of a paddling pool. So while we could work with McCoy's matter of act absolutism, or Picard's reserved oritory, with Micheal we have….what? Shaking her head with tears in her eyes while whispering something for the umpteenth time in that episode (I exaggerate, but you know what I'm on about).

So….I dunno…let's make her say "Let's fly". Why "Let's Fly?" Because we need something vaugly flight related that no other Captain has used in Trek…despite how stupid it sounds. Repeat it enough times I hope that it'll stick. Hope that Burnham is known as the "Let's Fly" Captain…and not the writing car-crash that they delvered for the past 6-odd years.

• Advertisement

The main problem with Disco and SNW compared to the old show is the focus on it. The camera does this big dramatic zoom in,the music flares and the place practically cheers. PIC had a number of stupid 4th wall breaking scenes where the crew get giddy and starry eyed at "engage" and SNW had similar with the crew goading Spock into having to find his "thing" to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I thought it was a decent enough start to the season. I liked the fact that they're dealing with a threat to the Federation but not another huge "apocalyptic" style danger ala Control / DMA. I think the "treasure hunt" format of the story might help them avoid pacing issues of earlier seasons. Gathering the pieces over the course of the season might keep the story moving along and avoid the boring mid-season where the plot just runs in circles (something very evident in Picard S2). I thought the phasers switching from pistol to rifle was a neat touch.

Having said that jumping back from the opening scene with Burnham on the spaceship hull to the Federation celebrations felt very contrived given that they were only rewinding a few hours earlier. I get that the writers wanted to start with a bang and have the action scene but it doesn't take that long to get through the party and for Discovery to be sent on their mission.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Red Directive.

When Discovery needs to ramp up the tension….

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement