Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 5x01 and 5x02- 'Red Directive' 'Under the Twin Moons' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 04-04-2024 12:04pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Guess I'll start the episode thread. Major spoilers within from the first episode onwards.

It felt solid enough overall. A fair bit of indulgent CGI at some parts, such as the avalanche, mostly just being visual and audio noise. It's still Burnham centric, but it was always going to be, but the side characters such as the laidback ruthlessness of Kovic and Reyner delighting in needling Burnham/Booker were more entertaining.

I must admit to being a bit surprised on the major callback that's the theme for the series arc. It was always odd that such a major discovery went ignored previously, but it's surprising they're going all in on it like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Well it is what it is I guess. They certainly haven't broken the mould for season 5. More of the same; I did not enjoy it.

I know Star Trek needn't be this single homogenous thing… but this isn't it. This is unrecognisable "syfy" space show with a couple of call-backs to Star Trek abused throughout.

But sure we know that by now. I'm half-watching at this stage while I do something more enjoyable, like work.

Booker is an awful character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

Only watch the first episode so far,

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2602672/

looks hot in this.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The Chase was such a good episode and far more deserving of a 2 partner than many plots that got one.

Why the fek did it have to be Discovery to follow it up. Why could anyone one of the Picard 2 not have been this.

Im still sick they had the cheek to call an episode "Unification pt.lll"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I just cant get excited about this show anymore - im pleased this is the last season - i will probably speed watch through the season toward the end - but i dont plan on weekly watches - i did watch season 4, but ended up fast forwarding a hell of a lot of it - i found the story tedious, and very annoying - intermixed with character development for characters i dont care about

i enjoyed Picard S3, and i await more strange new worlds. Strange New Worlds is the heart of the franchise for me, despite one or two less than thrilling episodes in season 2

Since spoilers ARE allowed - could someone tell me

-Whats the story with the supposed artefact? in the Romulan ship?

-What is the big 'mystery' thing at the heart of this season?

These are the only plot points i care anything about, and care may be a stretch - curious perhaps -

Its a testament to how badly i feel about Disco that i am now searching for full episode synopsis - and am very disappointed that i cannot find any - i guess im not the only one who is less than thrilled about disco!

Roll On S3 Strange New Worlds!!!! LLAP

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Only watched the first episode, thought the travelling on the outside of a ship at warp was bad then it went all stupid crashing two spaceships into the ground - I mean c'mon

• Advertisement

@fritzelly thought the travelling on the outside of a ship at warp was bad

It has been done before in Prodigy and Ent. Safe as long as your inside the warp bubble.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/aijjsa/what_would_happen_if_a_ship_went_to_warp_with/

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/183kbi7/what_happens_to_you_if_you_pop_out_of_the_ship_at/

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,930 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just watched episode 1.

So does this mean the events of The Chase were classified and not made public knowledge?

Or Burnham didnt know about it because of the time jump?

Hmm.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just had a quick look at it there now. I only half watched the first episode of season 4 and knew it was trash and this looks just like more of the same trash. Saru and a Vulcan lol. Talk about an awkward pairing.

Even more awkward do what is the story of your one with Paul and C. I forget his full name? Does she go everywhere with them now. Talk about annoying.

Micheal is as annoying as ever.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Rawr

A preemtive thanks to the Boardsies who watch Season 5 and post about it here.

I "watched" Season 4 vicariously via the gang here last time since my patence for the show had diminished to essentially nothing though the course of Season 3. It's good to know what is happening, and to be able to do that withouth having to experience it while Martin-Green chews the scenery to shreds.

I will likely watch the finale. Expereince has shown me that these writers don't really know how to build an arc up gradually and will probably compress all of the critical plot-beats into the last 20-odd minutes. So I might get away with just watching that.

Beyond that, I can't muster the energy to want to watch this. I'm not the kind to "hate-watch" a thing, nor will I watch anything "Star Trek" without exception. That said, I hope that those who do watch have a half-decent experience while they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It was… Yeah, it was Discovery:

Queue tilting her head and smiling her little "I'm-hurt-inside-but-putting-on-a-brave-face-for-my-crew….I-mean-FAMILY" smile.

Queue the "Only-I-can-do-everything-and-everyone-is-simply-supporting-me" actions,

The fawning (Actually, if they ever get a movie that's what it should be called: "Star Trek: The Fawning Adoration")

Fun new character Raynor who will no doubt be killed off soon or never appear again to avoid deflecting any limelight

Already breaking out the nauseating camera sweeps

Obligatory scene with BlandBook and Burnham looking at eachother and saying something like "Oh, this is a XYZ situation" to show that, y'know, they had history….. In case you didn't know.

Now that I know this is basically sanctioned bad fan fiction (Other thread) it's SCREAMINGLY obvious.

Rayner has been hauled up to a tribunal in episode 2 for his actions in episode 1 (putting the mission first which were his orders don't outweigh questioning Burnham) and is now serving under her.

It was just so obvious anyone set up against her is only there to prove how right she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I know this is sci-fi and all … but THIS ☝ very thing was such utter and complete garbage. 🤮

Also, was it just me or was Owosekun's name called out more times in the first episode than in all of the previous 4 seasons?

Did somebody mention to the powers that be, that a (s)narky character named Shaw proved popular on another show? Is this where Rayner has sprung from?

Finally, Moll has some major Pris vibes going on 😍:

I would say the Moll/Pris vibes are an intended nod.

2 episodes in and we get The Chase in episode 1 and the Promellians in episode 2. I'm interested to see just how Lower Decks they go with the references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Did Burnham cry yet?

Normally use to post these links in the threads for reference.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Directive_%28episode%29

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Under_the_Twin_Moons_%28episode%29

They will probably be filled in soon with details of the episodes.

There's a simple explanation for Star Trek fans who may be wondering why they've never heard of a Red Directive before: the Red Directive is an invention of Star Trek: Discovery season 5.
    There have certainly been countless Starfleet priority one classified
    missions, but a Red Directive takes secrecy and urgency to another
    level. Red Directives are also indicative of how different Starfleet is
    in the 32nd-century era of Star Trek: Discovery, which would naturally have different protocols following crises like the Temporal Wars and the Burn.

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-red-directive-new-protocol-explanation/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh GOD. I thought you were joking (I'd only watched the first episode. My bad for posting before completing). Just finished episode 2.

So the BIG question is: Will he die (A "better" man because of her, of course) in the last or second last episde?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,256 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He'll die saving her from death because she must live on

• Advertisement

While telling her the universe can't do without her.

Watching episode 1 I felt bad for being such a cynic and assuming Burnham would prove him wrong in a big way at the end which never happened. Straight into the next episode and he gets his public flogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They nearly conned me, nearly. Episode 1 was actually semi decent. Fred was a perfect Data style android, the action with the shieds was fun, the bridge crew were on an away mission.

Then episode 2 happened and we're straight back to the book Burner.

Am I being unfair or has computer game writing infected these types of shows in a bad way? Like yay for serialised storytelling, I guess, but this season is shaping up to be series of fetch-quests to find the 5 missing pieces of the map to lead them to the MacGuffin (which you might remember from that one episode of TNG that time!) before the big bad gets there to unlock the ultimate power blah blah blah.

It's like something from Zelda or any number of games. Totally contrived and uninteresting. Oh my gosh there's a map fragment on Trill! Oh my gosh will they get there on time!?

Really started noticing this fetch-quest and power-up writing in the various Star Wars series, Mandalorian etc., and I think it's become more widespread recently in that tier of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

That's not video game writing, quest arcs have been around since the 70s at least. Doctor Who Key to Time for example.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,074 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They've described it as very Indiana Jones inspired, and those, and the 30's serials they stem from, love their mcguffins like multi part keys and the like.

https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Key_to_Time

At least it happened in one episode but the search for the pieces of the below come to mind.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Stone_of_Gol

Edit:- Sorry it was a two part episode. "Gambit"

Hmmm yeah, I suppose. Haven't seen that Doctor Who but I can imagine it's not a story construction unique to, or invented for, video games. But anyway I'd usually hope the writing in Star Trek to be a bit more sophisticated than classic Doctor Who or old 1930s serials. And certainly more so than a video game plot that just exists to get you moving around the play area shooting baddies.

Which is what this season of Discovery looks to be, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

not subtle

• Registered Users Posts: 30,847 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Something about the fact that this genius Romulan scientist in the past left child-level wordplay riddles as part of the trail for his super important mcguffin just irritates my brain no end.

In reality does anyone, ever, hide away their valuables that way, using convoluted scavenger hunt tactics? Do banks actually produce cryptic clues for you to reach your safe deposit box? Are the US nuclear missile codes actually just 7 riddles and 4 puzzles away?

"Under the twin moons of Yoreth at the first frost a ham-burned Michael shalt lead the way"

• Advertisement

Couldn't even bother scanning the computer for "twin moons". Burnham just straight away knows the right one.

Advertisement