Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What ever happened to On Street Charging ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Ryan got into Government and anything normal people wanted was forgotten. Instead, he plastered the country with unnecessary bike lanes in places cyclists didn't even want them. We are still waiting for apartment dwellers to have a real solution to charging their EV.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Multiple companies have worked out that on-street public AC charging isn't profitable enough to run as a business. There's a project being ran by the 4 Dublin city councils to prototype municipal charging services the study found that charging hubs were more viable than large amounts of fixed on street chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

If you live in an apartment or don't have a designated parking spot you are not eligible for an EV.

That's about 20% of the population.

Fairly major stuff like this is routinely swept under the carpet on these threads.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

All new builds with shared parking have a requirement to install shared access charging infrastructure. This includes housing estates and apartments.

As to retrofitting existing developments we can only force a change like that during significant overhauls.

For on-street parking areas councils have decided that to install 1000's of AC points that are used once a week is silly and instead supporting the development of hubs is a better option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

why are we not talking about this more?

Why do we not have multiple charge locations on street like they do in London? If we had easier access to charge EV’s, more people could buy them and move out of Dirty diesels

We need to hold our Green Party politicians to account.

Indeed,

So about 20% to 25% of the population of Ireland aren’t eligible for an EV.

Thats before you bring expense, inconvenience and personal taste into it.

You need to hold all your local politicians to account. The Irish Green Party aren't pro-ev as they see it as a wasteful form of private transport.

yeah. But Eamon’s the man in the pictures?
    Does he believe in what he is photographed for or just looking for head lines?

The Green Party need to drive good solid policy’s forward. (Edit. Per PM messages- All politicians need to drive good policy’s forward, Green especially for environmental beneficial policy’s)

If there was wide spread charging, surely EV take up would be higher, emissions would be lower. Fairly simple concept

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Swept under the carpet? Seems to brought up in every EV thread multiple times. Live in an apartment 1000km from work, with no off street parking. Regular emergency high speed motorway runs to the three grannies across Europe. Non stop.

Problem with on street charging is that you're not guaranteed to get a spot overnight or when you need it. I don't see how you'd ever have enough on street charging to solve that. Even the hubs can be blocked by ice cars.

Our local shopping centre has a few chargers in the street lights in the car park. But have never seen them used.

• Advertisement

One problem is public chargers have become so expensive it starts to make it less attractive even if they were more of them.

your post has no credibility once you open with live 1000kms from work. Doubt many will read past that line

but what if they were not so expensive? What if we had policy makers who incentivised low CO travel.

What if we had mass transpost options and low cost of entry EV travel? For those of us that can’t cycle to work every day

Too Radical?

How close. They include hybrids in EVs so I found a figure of 110k at the start of 2024. That would look be 44% of their target.

You realise they are currently going the other way. Decreasing the incentives.

what do you mean “didn’t matter”?

EV charging = doesn’t matter?

Green Party promises things they don’t deliver = doesn’t matter?

Statistics = don’t matter? They can be shaped to suit?

Or something else?

Ask Google auto correct. It spat that out.

I assume you’re referring to your own post?

We can’t ask your google anything! Otherwise I’d ask for your bank account details, you mothers maiden name and your first pets name😁

If google done that, then I’d be killing that app.

Party positions can change in 14 years since that article. You can either have a pop at the green party, in which case you should go find the politics forum. Or you can do something effective and tell any of your local election candidates that it's a problem that needs solving.

I think it's only FG/FF that will support any initiatives for private motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I don't believe these hubs are the answer. Thousands of people sharing a hub. You have a hub which is 5 minutes away. With a cold battery you will have an initial low charging rate. This means you will have to wait much longer to reach your desired charge level. Now imagine you are waiting behind one or two cars. You could in theory have to wait an hour or more.

I will be asking my local councillors when they come canvassing what their proposals are.

Currently my closest charger is an AC charger in Rathmines in a Tesco car park. The minimum payment to park is €2.50. The gates close at night at 10.

I see regular updates on twitter where lamp post charging is flying along in cities in England. Here we have around a dozen. That's pathetic.

• Advertisement

That's what the Dublin Council report found. A hub has more value than install many thousands of on-street charging spots which have very low utilisation.

The numbers indicated they didn't expect on-street AC to have paid back its costs within 10 years. As a municipal service it could make sense, as a way of charging people's EVs without providing subsidies to private car owners it doesn't.

Having operated an EV with a local hub at a supermarket for 18 months, it's far less hassle than you'd think, a lot will depend on the details, but they're taken input on the experience in Dundee, Oslo, and Birmingham so it's not like they've just made it up.

I see there's a roadside charger in Chelmsford Rd Ranelagh. But on Plugshare one of the photos its blocked by two ICE cars (Iced). Not sure how you resolve that.

You could argue you don't need to charge everyday and if you do urgently need a full charge, you can hit a high speed DC charger hub.

Have to say if I didn't have home charging I really wouldn't bother.

You last line sums it up for the vast majority of people.

Now,when you have governments saying you won't be able to buy a ICE car in the next decade can you see where some of the anger is coming from?

Personally I've chilled out about this subject.

Government can't force people into EVs unless it makes economic sense to the user and is also more or equally convenient.

We can be here all days arguing over and back but that's the simple truth of it.

They won't be able to, they won't have the numbers of EVs or Chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

These should go hand in hand with standard, fast and HP chargers. Where I used to live in London they were located on every lampost on streets where homes didn't have a driveway and a few hundred metres away there was standard 22kW chargers located in the municipal car park on the main street.

They're small and cheap bits of kit. They should imo be rolled out to every city, town and village in the country.

As said above they should be seen as complimenting the existing charger network rather than relied upon as the main source of charging for an EV.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

We don't tend to place our lamposts at the side of the road, we tend to place them on the inside of the pavement instead. It would cost a lot of money to move the lamposts to the side of the road and equip them with charging ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In theory if we had more of them then competition would reduce prices

The plan was for 1,500 public charge points around the country by the end of 2012 and every town of over 1,500 people having at least one.

This definitely didn't come to pass

And the Examiner article says that the target was to have 250,000 EVs on the road by 2020, how close did that come to happening ?

Not very… According to the SEAI, at the end of January 2024 – there were “over 110,000” electric vehicles, including plug-in hybrids, on the road in Ireland.

Money guide Ireland estimate there were about 34,000 Electric cars registered in Ireland (not including hybrids) as of January 2023.

New targets are currently

• 175,000 electric cars on the roads by 2025
      • Achievable if 65,000 EVs or PHEVs are sold this year
      • Does not take account of older EVs being scrapped
    • 945,000 electric vehicles on Irish roads by 2030, down from 1 million, with 845,000 of these being private passenger cars
      • If "by 2030" means December 2030, ie 2031 it would require 835,000 sales in 6 years or a little over 139,000 per year
      • Does not take account of older EVs being scrapped

Personally I don't see these targets being achieved but Eamon Ryan was on the radio saying we are on-track, ICE cars sales are going to end by 2035 so assuming most will be gone by 2045 we could have a real problem in the second hand market if new sales don't pick up between now and 2030

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ha, you actually picked the worst charger I've ever come across to complain about there and you missed the real problem. I drove down there once to plugin, there were no cars parked anywhere near it which I thought was a little weird. As I was plugging the car in some locals walked past and told me that the road was a clearway in the mornings and evenings on weekdays. You would be clamped for parking there at this time, and that's where they decided to install a charger. Pathetic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think your maths is a bit off (though still an impossible target). It's almost 7 years to the end of 2030 if you're using the data up to the end of January 2024.

Also if you are to compare like with like, you have to remove commercial vehicles from the calculation since there are so few in the fleet right now. So it should be 845 - 110 leaving 735 divided by 7 gives you just over 100k a year. Which is coincidentally the average total car sales over the last three years.

TL;DR - Impossible target to meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just about to post the same. Little to no thought when that was installed.

Advertisement