Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS invoicing me but I am not a customer

Options
  • 02-04-2024 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

TL;DR: Someone sent me a surprise gift from the US; I knew nothing about the shipment/tracking and UPS never tried to deliver or contact me about it (WFH, have CCTV & nothing on the phone logs). Instead, UPS return the package to the US and are trying to charging me for that pleasure but I had no contact with UPS throughout any of it till the invoices arrived in the mail (by the reliable An Post).

Here is rundown of what happened over the last 2.5 months:

• A package/gift was sent to me without my knowledge from the US in January.
    • UPS never attempted to call/deliver the package or ask for any customs/import duty but decided to return it back to the US on their own accord.
      • Luckily, I have CCTV and phone logs to back up no contact.
    • Late February and early March, I received 2 invoices (80e & 40e) from UPS. They created 2 accounts with my information without my consent. The 80e one looks like its for customs/duty which is a strange one since it went back to the US. The 40e one looks like the cost of sending it back.
    • I dispute it but they are adamant I have to pay and say I am the shipper of the item back to the US. UPS did that without contacting me.
    • In March, I received a debt collector letter from ControlAccount.com. So UPS shared my personal information without my consent to another company. GDPR violation?
    • I call UPS again to dispute it and call ControlAccount.com to make sure they know I am disputing it.
    • I called CCPC.ie for advice this morning and ironically they say they can't help as I am not a customer of UPS since no agreement was made between myself and UPS 😅
    • I sent a separate complaint to UPS today about the GDPR issue as I plan to follow-up with DataProtection.ie. I had 0 contact with UPS before they decided to create 2 accounts using my information and more importantly, they shared my personal details to another company without my consent. I never agreed to any terms with UPS.

I can easily pay the fees but it's the principle of the matter and I want UPS to be held accountable for this bullying behavior to prevent others from experience this (or end up with bad credit rating). It feels like getting mugged.

Since I'm technically not a UPS customer, the "Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980" doesn't seem to apply to me:

"A person who receives goods as a gift is not considered to be a 'consumer' within the meaning of the Act and neither is someone who intends to use the goods in the course of a business. A consumer contract exists only between the buyer (the consumer) and the seller (usually a retailer)."

I never entered into any agreement/contact with UPS. Here is the last reply/lies I got from UPS yesterday after 20 days waiting for it:

"As per our investigation on the shipment number {removed} the shipment was shipped from IE to US. And as you have shipped the shipment as you are the shipper of the shipment."

I had to laugh at the last sentence in that message. I am currently waiting on 2 replies from UPS now:

1. Proof of method/datetime of them contacting me about the original delivery and proof I told them to return the item to the US. I know they have none as I have CCTV and phone logs so I can't wait to hear their lies or them say "the system says so right here".
    2. The name of the person/department to start the official complaint about them sharing my personal data so I can use the correspondences with them when making my official complaint with dataprotection.ie.

The GDPR issue seems like the only option for me but is there anything else I can do? Could it be considered harassment or something else that I could go to the Garda since I am not a customer? I'm guessing not but I am open to any crazy ideas at this stage as I am pulling my hair out dealing with their support now 😟

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭TheShepard

Honestly, I think you're overthinking, don't pay it and go about your life and let it be. That's what I would do anyway.

Sounds a bit fishy to me, there's any amount of scams out there using emails and texts. If there is any breach of an account you have on any website, all of the above would be easy to manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

It definitely not a scam. I found out about the gift been sent afterwards and everything lines up 100% with that. I am also dealing with their phone numbers and email from their official website: https://www.ups.com/ie/en/support/contact-us.page

1 concern is bad credit rating since they were quick to pass 1 of the invoices to debt collectors already (that's currently on hold).

The other concern is my personal information been sent to other companies without my consent.

Because of those 2 reasons, its not something I want to ignore and I am just looking for any other options that I haven't considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can it go against your credit if you never entered into a credit/billing agreement with anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

As above forget about it, it won't affect your credit rating.

It doesn't add up though, who sent you this surprise gift? Why aren't UPS chasing them given they're the ones who have the contract with them?

Sounds like a scam to me too.

I appreciate people making people aware of scams like this but it's 100% not a scam in this case.

I know who sent it, it was a late Christmas gift (earphones). We just didn't imagine this to happen.

Well, unless you class UPS as the scammers in this case.

• Advertisement

Well, again, why aren't they invoicing your sender if you know who it is, it's not your problem.

Was the product returned to your sender?

It still sounds like nonsense, that they'd send it back to the US and only ask you to pay for the shipping afterwards. Are you on a wind up?

Im curious about that too. UPS are adamant its a charge I have to pay and were quick to send to debt collectors already. I've never been in this situation so not really sure what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Can you post some redacted invoices? Just sounds like trolling to me. I've ignored genuine UPS invoices and they didn't even go to a debt collector.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Sounds like something Conor Pope would love to get his teeth into!

UPS said I refused delivery and they had to return it and I liable for that cost. But I didn't refuse anything. I am not winding people up and its not a scam. Starting to feel like talking to UPS on here now with nobody believing me :)

I got the tracking info too late (when it was already sent back by UPS) so I can finally see it all and checked my CCTV. The situation is just crazy with UPS incompetent and bullying people into paying for something they never agreed.

Guessing I'll just ignore, try not to worry and tell them I won't be paying. I'll keep the cctv and phone logs backed up.

Thanks everyone for their input.

• Advertisement

I'll think about it and decide tomorrow (putting kids to bed now). Just seems like all people thinking I'm either winding up and or its a scam.

I'm a very long time lurker on boards and have never messed about on here so feeling a bit deflated now after trying to get some genuine help.

So i've asked you twice why UPS aren't dealing with your sender and you've ignored the question both times. UPS are now incompetent and bullying, forgive me for thinking this is not a genuine complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Surely no implied contract exists between you and UPS? If it does, it would be a bizarre situation where someone could randomly send you goods and on refusal, you as addressee, would immediately become liable to the delivery company for all costs incurred by them in returning these to the sender. It just makes no sense they can seek to enforce these costs.

Exactly, makes no sense at all, but we're all supposed to feel guilty now for asking legitimate questions and making the OP feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Send a request under the Data Protection legislation for a copy of all data they hold about you. Then tell them to delete it and report them to the Data Protection commissioner if they act the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

It's frustrating to see the OP being called a liar and a troll.

OP, perhaps you could show screenshots/photos of UPS communications in order to shove it up the naysayers jumpers?

I told you already that UPS said I refused delivery and have me liable for the return cost. I don't work for them so can't say why they won't charge the sender.

We also have the issue that they never tried to deliver it or contact me about it and they also shared my data.

If you can't offer any help then I won't be replying to you again as this is a genuine post and genuine ask for advice but you just seem to want to prove its a scam or wind up. I don't want to get into a fight with anyone and I'm tired of trying to prove something to you at this point.

If anyone wants to add advice then thanks in advance, I'll read and click thanks but at this point I think I think I'll skip replying in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP

You have no parcel.

UPS have no case.

That's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

God I feel sorry for the OP here. Some very aggressive questions from angry posters! Its the OP who is stressed by this and who is affected. Why the aggression from posters ? I have had a few very bad experiences with stuff coming from Canada and the US.

It is standard practice that they will send items back to sender if delivery is refused. BUT they need to be refused, not simply undelivered or nobody home.

If it was me I would keep a log of each and every time I have contacted UPS. OP has done nothing wrong here. I would brazen it out and eventually UPS will get tired of the chase. But I would go to court over this if I had to…. on principle!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Don't worry about it showing on your credit check - it won't. Only credit agreements above €500 get reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I don't agree with the ' being asked to feel guilty'. I have no reason to feel that way, nor do I have a reason to suspect the OP is trolling or a liar.

I used to receive invoices at work from FedEx for customs clearance where there was no fee due to them (we had a customs agent). It took a lot of time and emails to have these invoices cancelled.

I have advised you, i said forget about it as you don't have a contract with them and it won't affect your credit rating.

Why won't you answer my questions? Did your sender receive the item back? Why are you talking about receiving tracking info? The sender gets that, not you. If you know the sender why aren't they in contact with UPS to resolve the issue?

It doesn't make any sense.

What on Earth is aggressive about questions? There is no way a recipient of unsolicited mail can be charged for it's return whether refused, undeliverable, or subject to customs charges that they won't pay.

It's all completely on the sender, but the OP seems to have no interest in directing the issue to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

How do they have your contact details anyway? Move on, forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Exactly, there is no way the recipient can be charged for this item, even if UPS decided to return it. However that doesn't eliminate the stress and anxiety of getting these kind of emails and letters from collection agencies! I know its not the OP's issue to sort but you have no idea of the back story. Perhaps the sender in the US is a very old relative, or someone who sent this present out of kindness. I would be mortified asking any relative to pay for the return delivery of something that they sent as a present! Think about it.

Personally reading your posts they come across as aggressive….. "why won't you answer my questions" is actually very demanding. Even your message to me asking "what on earth is aggressive about questions?" You asked at 7.19 pm for more information and if the OP was "on a wind up". Despite the OP replying they were putting the kids to bed being asked again at 7.56pm "why aren't you answering my questions"? The OP is simply looking for advice. He/she is not blaming anyone, he/she said in numerous posts that they were genuine and not trolling , he/she said they were putting the kids to bed.

That is why I said you were being aggressive. Maybe give people the benefit of the doubt or a chance to explain. I don't think posters should have to defend themselves against being called trolls or on a wind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carbuncle

j- Lennon

Pm me I will give you the ups resolution email address as I don’t have it to hand. I got a similar issue sorted with a few emails, no point in calling anybody in ups as I discovered. I had a similar issue albeit on a business to business basis when a Uk supplier of ours sent items to us using their own ups account - we don’t have one.

1. I get a call from a non irish call centre claiming to be from ups asking for credit card payment for €430 euro. Asked what for, told me local taxes. Could not tell me who the shipment was from or any other details. I said email me the invoice ( gave address) but none arrived. Of course I would not give some randomer my cc details.
    2. 2 weeks later supplier said package arrived back with them, I had it collected using our dhl account and realised that was probably what the call was. Supplier said ups said we refused to pay local taxes - which was never said, I asked for a copy of the invoice. I have had mistakes with duty so would not pay before seeing an invoice.
    3. Nothing received from ups via email or post but after 2 months we got an email from control account with a ‘final demand’ for payment before action was taken. I asked this Uk company for a copy of the bill and why this was a final demand when no previous demand was made - got the bill but no explanation of the final demand!
    4. the bill had information on it that I could not get from ups via phone, the people I spoke to could not help before I got this bill.
    5. bill was for vat and duty on the value of the goods - not payable as no vat and duty would be paid on a delivery not made. I point ed this out to control account and said they would look quite foolish taking me to court for amounts that would never had been paid. I think they gave me the ups resolution email.
    6, emailed ups resolution explaining the above. Pointed out they had only ever called once to demand payment with no proper explanation of what for, asked for an invoice that was never sent and they had passed on information to a debt collector who were now demanding money for vat and duty that they would never have paid and if they did were entitled to claim back as the goods were never delivered. I also pointed out payment was never refused - their staff decided to return to sender off their own bat. I said if they had any proof of any communication other than the initial call to demand money we could have a chat.
    7. 2 days later I got an email to say the bill was cancelled and forget it.

Not quite the same as the op’s situation but in my experience ups are useless and calling them is a waste of time. In our case as a business I could have paid controlaccount the vat and reclaimed it but not the duty - less hassle but I was not having it.

dhl all the way, they have excellent systems for dealing with vat/ duty for non eu imports. Had one issue since brexit and a call to a local number had it sorted and credit issued within a couple of hours.

And remember a Uk import to Ireland is treated the same as a USA import to Ireland now as far as vat and duty is concerned.

Op has 2 invoices, one is for return of goods so that is slightly different but the vat/duty is not owed. I take it our supplier may have been charged for the return but they never mentioned it to me.

I would suggest op emails details to ups resolutions but also points out to controlaccount that as goods were returned no vat or duty was due in Ireland or should have been paid so that invoice is invalid.

We always use dhl to organise collections from that particular supplier now and advise any new supplier we won’t accept any shipments from them if they intend to use ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carbuncle

I posted our issue a few minutes ago and found the ups address I dealt with, iefcr@ups.com.

this is described as ‘Uk, ie and nordics resolutions’ so probably no good to the op.

Ask controlaccount for the correct ups resolutions address for the USA import when pointing out the vat and duty invoice is not payable, don’t waste your time with the whole story - control account won’t care!

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

Why do people who have no clue about gdpr go in and on and on about it and then make a fool of themselves complaining about it.

Op, you need to understand what you are talking about before complaining about it

I have no idea of the backstory because the OP wouldn't answer any of the questions regarding the sender which i asked in no way aggressively.

It is not fair to come on here and blackguard a company with no evidence whatsoever and ignore questions about the validity of that blackguarding.

As for putting the kids to bed, if someone can post that they're putting the kids to bed then they're not putting the kids to bed, they're posting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Jeez, passive aggressive at best. The OP has received good advice from others, so relax you don't need your questions answered.

Advertisement