Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do most hate or strongly dislike their job, social media v reality

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Maybe because of this thread :) my social media has been throwing up articles on 'work'

This was a hilarious read. A guy with an information systems degree, with the arrogance of youth thinks he is entitled to the salary of an L6 engineer in Google, so a year after university, he got a job with a big tech company that is famous for believing their hiring policies are so good nobody who couldn't do the job would be hired.

He is put on a team and asked to write some code he can't do it, he copies some code and cobbles together something, he is caught out and moved to another team that might suit him better they try that a few times and eventually he fired but it wasn't called being fired.

what he learned was, that doing a job just because it is lucrative is a terrible idea, some jobs you can't bluff your way into you have the skill and ability to do the job, but also that the tech company was so convinced their hiring process was so good they couldn't have made a mistake so gave him a lot of chances and anywhere else would have fired him in the first month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I've hired graduates who are **** hot coders but can't document or knowledge share for ****. They haven't a clue how to communicate or behave in a professional environment, mostly due to inexperience and every single one of them has demanded a significant salary increase within the first 2 years.

I explained to them that without the other characteristics then awesome code isn't all that great. Most moved on and job hopped before settling at a MNS. One came back after what I imagine was a humbling experience in a fast paced startup and has gone on to head his own team.

The mediocre hires often come in willing to learn and improve. They actually attended and used the soft skills/technical training sessions arranged throughout the year. Their code may never be perfect but they aren't afraid to ask for help, take pride in their work and often do little workshops on things they're working on.

Advertisement