Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do most hate or strongly dislike their job, social media v reality

Options
  • 02-04-2024 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭

If social media/ boards is anything to go by a large number of individuals hate their jobs and or their bosses or they hate their careers and believe they made the wrong choice.

If an individual asks on social media what any job is like or what such and such a career is like the vast majority of replies will be in the negative.

So is it a social media phenomenon or a reality?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Depends what you mean by "like" your job.

I doubt there's anyone who would do their job for free, even if they love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

True, the days I am working I dont wake up and go woohoo I working today but overall my job is, grand, in a long working life I have only had one truly horrible boss the rest have been sound.

Many individuals seem to be tormented by their jobs or careers though.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rustyman101

Means to an end, like most people.

Would love a 3/4 day week !

I am retired now from a public-facing, public service job. Some of the time I enjoyed the lighter banter with the nice members of the public, and done regularly gave us biscuits for our break which was always a lovely gesture! On the other hand there were the heartsink customers and you would have to brace yourself before dealing with them. Some could easily absorb 30 minutes of your time over very little, and habitually did it. It depended on my mood how well I was able for customers in general, and looking back on it I would have been more suited to a background management sort of role, as generally I got on very well with colleagues, and had done great ones where we were mutually supportive in difficult times.

I was good at the IT end of things, and got admin done very well. I really only discovered this as I went along, and my job involved a lot of diverse multitasking from creative stuff, running IT systems and troubleshooting, diverse admin tasks, dealing with materials and front-facing the public. I was given stuff by one or two managers who just were clueless about IT, couldn’t grasp the concept of directories, so every morning I had to do a sweep through changed locations of files so that everyone could actually do their job. I found I enjoyed this ability to be quietly on top of everything, and I often think I would have been good at a job without facing a public-facing role. I think my worst nightmare would be to be to work in a call centre though! I’d be the worst imaginable candidate for that, I at least like to argue with people face to face.

Thank goodness, other than this site, I never got posting about my job on social

Media. I think I would have been too honest and forthright for that, I don’t always hide what I’m thinking and I rarely say everything is rosy in the garden. I spell out the good and the bad, no point in painting some irritatingly false picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…not just, according to Graeber, a sh1t load of people hate their jobs, including some very well paid jobs to(bullsh1t jobs)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshit_Jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You need a bad job to appreciate an even average job. Most people would not be doing their job if they didn’t need the money. Most jobs are either boring or stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Hooked

I like the job… probably because I'm very good at it… not mad on the pay, mind you.

I HATE some of the hand-holding I have to do with people in my office that (after 20 years in the company) really should know better!!! Some clients are the same. Some really REALLY thick people, that test my patience. Daily.

I like the fact I'm 'my own boss' and have no one to answer to and no one under me that I have to 'mind'. I can (for the most part) just get through the work with zero stress, home at 5.30, paid on Thursday. Never do OT. Rinse and repeat.

I HATE that (in hindsight) I really should have taken a different career path - stayed in college longer, done the MA and then maybe a PHD (like my wife). She's earning twice as much as I am - with a lot less heavy lifting (compared to my role). I jumped at a job straight out of college - when I really wish I'd someone like my 'current' self, that would've persuaded me to play the long game.

But it's not so much about the money. At the risk of sounding like a complete knob… I'm far too intelligent to be making someone else wealthy - but I guess I didn't want the risk or the stress of running my own business.

Outside of my job - I LOVE my life. And I often wonder if the better paid job in a different field would have made any real difference to my happiness. I'd probably not have met my wife and not landed where I am (where I live) and be up to my tits in stress.

No thanks.

interesting, and I certainly agree with a fair bit of it. But people need a bit of organisation to know what they are tasked with.

I was both a Flunky and Duct-Taper, I actually enjoyed being the latter as it was the best way to “status” in my line, you could fix things others couldn’t and the soul felt its worth 🤣

I’m laughing at the Duct-Tapers, Boards relies on these to hold it together 😁

…our educational system is fcuked, people arent making poor decisions, the system is just fcuked, its not flexible enough to allow humans to be humans, we get ejected from the system very badly prepared for the working world, and life in general, then by the time people realise what they really wanna do, the system, along with other elements, place barriers in front of people to try achieve these goals and dreams, and the sad reality, it ll probably never really change….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭thomil

For me, every job I've ever had has felt like an accomplishment. I'm a school dropout, which back in Germany is generally a one-way road into lifelong social welfare, so being able to work myself out of that situation and even manage to emigrate and break into the IT sector here in Ireland has been a major achievement. I regularly have to pinch myself to reassure myself that I'm not dreaming.

And yet, even with that background, I regularly feel like I've just about had enough. I guess it just comes with the field. Every field and company comes with its collection of bipedal paperweights, ambulatory manure sacks and well-dressed voids, and these can drain even the most motivated person and breed the type of resentment that apparently a lot of people feel about work these days. I consider myself extremely lucky and privileged to be working with a team that is genuinely great, with people who are genuinely warm, helpful, accommodating, and just as batsh!t crazy as I am. I think that a LOT of people don't hate their jobs so much as they hate the people they have to work with.

Would I work my current job for free? Hell no, even if all my costs of living were paid, it is not the type of job that I would want to do. But since Starfleet Academy isn't accepting new applicants at the moment, it's a pretty good option.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

LinkedIn can be hilarious though. The amount of bull**** that’s posted on it is amusing. I enjoy being on it without it being across to any job. There are very interesting things I can learn by way of science, tech, aviation, stuff l loce. But flicking through the “I love my very meaningful job and life” posts can be a source of amusement. It’s playing h the silly game that apparently needs to be played: pretend you loved every company you worked for in spite of leaving every one or being released from the burden of engagement in said place.

There was a thread somewhere in this site about posts people saw, and the number of invented positions now is crazy. When I left school an engineer designed roads, buildings, chemical processes, planes, cars, machines, tangible things. Engineers now can be an engineer of virtually-anything-virtual.
    😄

I like the Japanese idea of Ikigai because as well as the modern ideas of what you are passionate about and what you love it is balanced with what are you good at, what you can be paid for, and what the world wants.

…and Japanese folks have a good work/life balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

social media isn’t reality, and everything negative gets amplified tenfold

I’d say most people are happy enough in their jobs, or at least content.

Strongly disagree with this because not everyone can follow their passion and an amount would not anyway it would be hard work and wouldn't pay enough to live or as someone above said Starfleet Academy doesn't exist.

very few know what they want to do at 18 so what is society supposed to do cocoon them till they realise at 30 what they want to do?

Passion, love, and the like come from things like an intimate relationship or having children or having animals, or from nature or sport, and expecting to find them in the world of work is like repeating something from a trite self-help book.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Love my job.

Left school at 15 in 1987 and had 3 other jobs up to this one.

18 years at it now and it's the first job I've had where I don't struggle to get out of bed for.

Probably even enjoy it more now than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I like my job, if I could just be let get on with it. It’s the corporate bull crap that creates the stress, and managers servicing that bull crap 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've done everything, from startups thru SMEs upto MNCs. It is down to what flavour of poison you can tolerate.

I've been on LinkedIN long enough to have a Personal Plus account and a lot of the BS stuff posted these days is a recent-ish thing. Favourite things is programming tips that are only relevant to greenhorns learning the latest fad language. My estimate is only about 15% of the jobs listed on LI are in good faith and MS is trying to diversify the site because of the subscription rates now available.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

I bounced between these sentiments about my job. Ironically when I was in sole charge of the office, which happened when boss was sick or on holidays, everything went smoothly, and when I retired I got the greatest compliment from my colleagues who said I was always considerate of them always listened and respected them, and oddly without one or two managers, one of whom was later removed from staff interaction after certain illegal activity was discovered,

• Advertisement

yes, there are jobs that must be done in this world, ones that are totally unappreciated but absolutely essential. Working in sewage disposal is one I can think of, if we didn’t have these folk working there in their protective gear we would all be down with cholera & typhoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Boards is a complaint line. You'll see people having a moan.

Nobody will post that I've a grand job, misery is sexy!

As it happens, I've a grand job myself

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

I enjoy my job it’s public sector. I was private and self employed for a long time so I’ve seen it from all angles. This angle I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

IMO parents, schools and universities do not explain what adult life is like after college. 17 and 18 year have had their hands held their entire lives.

Suddenly they're asked to pick a course. "What do you want to do?" Who knows the answer to that question truly?

Besides, picking a course is not the same as picking a job, a career, a life.

You might know exactly what course you want to do, but then you realise 3 years into the course that the job market is crap and you'll be forced to move home.

Funny, we have classes in school like Business Studies, but no courses on personal finance or budgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Work for myself and like my work/ job, whatever you want to call it. Like getting paid by customers as well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The older I get the more I feel the chokehold of having to work for someone else at the regimented hours of 9-5.

When the sun is shining I want to be able to down tools and take off for the afternoon but I haven't found a job this flexible yet 😁 I work fully remotely so there is at least a small bit of flexibility in that. The culture, colleagues and other stuff around a job are just as important as the actual work you do I think and it's often the colleagues or culture that will make or break a place for you, not the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Kurooi

Most people don't choose their jobs. They settle for whatever pays the bills in the immediate term.

I've met a few people who legitimately pursued a path even a very lucrative one and then decided "Nope, not for me" turned around and started over. Those people I've seen are generally happy and successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I hate working in general but my job isn't the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭RossGeller

Advertisement