Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting without a job

Options
  • 01-04-2024 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I have a question. So my wife and I are moving to Ireland next year with our 1 year old son (he'll be 2 by then) and we're currently trying to figure out what's the best way to do it.

She's from the Philippines but we're currently living in Germany which is my home country. I don't need a visa to move to Ireland. My wife does but I don't think it'll be very hard for her to get one since we're married and we have a child together who is also a german citizen.

We don't have any special qualifications. We're just average people trying to relocate in Ireland because we both don't like Germany very much. I've been to Ireland many times and I always wanted to live there. We understand it may not be that easy to move to Ireland but we're ok with a minimum wage job and a small apartment. We don't need much as long as we can live in Ireland and finally get away from Germany.

I know there's currently a housing crisis in Ireland so there's not much to choose from. I found 45 places to rent in the entire country for up to 1,000 Euros a month. We cannot pay more than 1,000 a month for the apartment. At least for the first year in Ireland.

But we're ok with living anywhere in the country except Dublin. At first we really wanted to live somewhere in country Kerry, but we understand because of the housing crisis we have to consider other cities in Ireland too. We prefer smaller towns like Tralee, Letterkenny, Kilkenny or anywhere that's affordable. As long as it has a decent public transport system because we don't have a car or drivers license at the moment. That means we couldn't live in the middle of nowhere without any stores or bus stops nearby. That's the only thing. Other than that we would be ok with anything really.

We were told that it's better to find a place to rent first before looking for a job. Because finding a job is easier. Let's say we find a job first.. there's no guarantee we can find an affordable place to rent in that area. So it's better to have an apartment and then look for any job in the area just to get settled in. We can always find better jobs or apartments in the future.

But is it possible to find landlords who would accept us? We would be ok with paying a higher security deposit or paying for 3 months in advance. Anything that would convince the landlord we are trustworthy. Idk if me or my wife can find an online job before we move but we wouldn't count on it. We're currently just trying to save up money to move.

We also don't have any references from previous landlords because we're gonna be new in Ireland. I'm not sure if the company we are renting from in Germany right now would write a referral letter for the landlord in Ireland. Especially not in english. I could translate it, but still. Referrals are not really a thing in Germany. So we're also not sure how to solve that problem yet.

I already have an irish phone number and and irish bank account that I opened last year. I use it as my main account even though I still live in Germany. But I heard having an irish bank account could benefit us when trying to rent in Ireland.

We would really appreaciate it if you guys could give us some advice about renting in Ireland. Even if it's not gonna be easy or if we have to lower down our standards because of the higher cost of living in Ireland we're ok with it. We love the people in Ireland and we want our son to grow up in that environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Does you wife need a visa? Is she not on an EU Fam visa already?

I was looking into that before, someone from Europe moving to Ireland can take their non- EEA spouse into Ireland no questions/ or it’s just a formality , where as an Irish person couldn’t.

Post edited by XsApollo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

My wife is Filipino, she is very happy here in Ireland, there are lots of Filipino communities here.

If you wanted to move to Kerry and a place that would have , currently, low priced accomodation, check out castleisland, there are also a lot of Filipinos there and I feel that in the next few years the town will improve a lot.

If I were your wife, I would perhaps start getting a course that could help her get a job, one of the jobs that many Filipinos are in would be Healthcare, so she could do a healthcare assistant course, maybe if she did one online/in Germany, that would be a big help here.

You could find a place on daft, or ask the Filipino community in Ireland to help you, someone from Castleisland may offer to help.

I have no contacts over that way, so I can't offer more help.

I wish the three of you best of luck in your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Waterfrog

My wife has a family residence card for germany. But it clearly says she's only allowed to work and live in Germany. She would have to apply for a new residence permit in Ireland. But I think that shouldn't be a problem.

She's having a hard time trying to learn German. Nobody wants to hire her because she doesn't speak german. Her english is very good but unfortunately most people in Germany don't speak english. And people here aren't the friendliest and its hard to meet people and make friends. I think we will both be much happier in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Renting is not easy when places to let are scarce and in huge demand. Landlords want ID, references from previous landlords and employers, proof of ability to pay the rent (current employment), residency. They could ask for bank statements, payslips, utility bills etc.

Easier to find a rental if you are employed imo. Also consider if both you and your wife work, your child will need care. Childcare is mainly provided by private business and is very expensive, in huge demand and scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭herbalplants

As previously said, renting is quite hard and expensive everywhere. Look up Killarney or Killorghin in Co Kerry for rent and they would be lively enough for jobs especially Killarney.

The other issue you may have is childcare!!! Finding a place and the cost. What type of qualifications does your wife have?

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Sorry, OP, but you haven't a hope of getting a rental anywhere in the country without jobs. The competition for available properties is insane and you'll be competing against couples with two salaries. No landlord is going to rent to two people with no income, even if you have tens of thousands in savings and can prove it (which, with respect, doesn't sound like it's the case anyway).

Also, anywhere with monthly rents of less than a grand isn't going to have decent public transport options. That simply doesn't exist in Ireland outside of the cities.

I get that you want to get out of Germany but I'm really not sure you've researched what living in Ireland is actually like, sorry. It's a very expensive country and I don't think you'll be able to support three people on one minimum-wage salary. And two minimum-wage salaries won't support full-time childcare, I'm sorry to have to tell you.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-the-matrix-keel-west-achill-co-mayo/5636878

Another place to consider, Achill Island? Co Mayo, lovely island. House above in your budget. There are few businesses on the island.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭rowantree18

I think you should research a bit more carefully. If you are both going to work you'll need childcare which is private in Ireland. It's 800-1000e per month. That cost, plus rent is more than one minimum wage job. Getting an apartment for 1000e is going to be almost a fantasy. Maybe possible in some very remote place which means you need a car. The costs add up .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

looks like your biggest immediate /shortterm problem will be finding a n affordable place to stay. In general, the demand for accommodation far, far outstrips supply - and most especially in Dublin and surrounding counties . Dublin is also more expensive than down the country to live in -though transport is more available and cheaper in Dublin than in the country - mainly because u would be travelling less because services/ shops are more plentiful.

You will have to have some ‘unique selling points’ to improve your chances of getting accommodation as landlords have a big selection to choose from. There was nothing in your board contribution that jumped out at me to put you on a short list . So the following, IMO, would be the kind of things might be of assistance - not in any order of importance:-

• passport
    • Driving licence
    • Permanent addresses
    • Employment records giving job title / type of work done, name , address tel no of employer
    • Irish bank and it’s address
    • Many times in Ireland . When and doing what?
    • The kind of skills of both -whether qualified or not!.
    • The kind of work both of you have done/capable of doing
    • As many references as possible eg ex employers, ex landlords, local police station confirming who you are, politicians , your doctor , solicitor, Your German bank manager , etc, etc, etc.

The more ‘stuff’ you have in writing the better as it helps - in a positive way’ a potential landlord / employer to get a full picture of you and who they are dealing with

Some of the above points will be applicable for your search for a job and to find accommodation.

There is a lot of comment here on contacting the Philippine community. I’m sure that the same goes for the German community. I’m sure that it would be equally as helpful

• -

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sorry, have to pull you up on most Germans not speaking English. Germans have a very high level of English and in fact have one of the highest English fluency levels in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭xyz13

OP: move to NZ.

Petit a petit l'oiseau fait son nid...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I live a few miles from Killarney, its one of the toughest places to find accommodation in the country ! Its a huge tourism town and lately is also full of Ukrainians and asylum seekers in temporary accommodation….. so property is very scarce and very expensive.

There are notices every single day on local Facebook pages of people looking for accommodation. I would advise to look elsewhere.

very remote , you would definitely need a car on Achill. I think OP said they wanted to be in a town like Kilkenny or Tralee a they won't have a car. Achill would be impossible without a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So you're going to take a house in the back arse of anywhere, with no car and no support, and then start looking for work?

Good luck with that. I'm not sure you fully appreciate what it is like outside the urban centres. Cheap accommodation means a lot more rural than you perhaps realise.

Living the life

Nope OP never said they would take a house in "the back arse of anywhere". They said they need to be in a town, within walking distance to shops as they have no car

"We prefer smaller towns like Tralee, Letterkenny, Kilkenny or anywhere that's affordable. As long as it has a decent public transport system because we don't have a car or drivers license at the moment. That means we couldn't live in the middle of nowhere without any stores or bus stops nearby. That's the only thing. Other than that we would be ok with anything really."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It might not be so straight forward as you think… As an EU citizen you have a right to move to an other EU state, including Ireland, for up to three months and have that period extending for an additional three months if it appears that it is likely that you will find employment. If you fail to find employment then you could be returned to Germany. Alternatively you have a right to establish a business in an other EU state, but that is an kettle of fish. You also have the right to a family reunification permit for your wife, provided you can demonstrate you have sufficient funds to ensure she will not become a burden on the state.

Now Ireland is not a civil law country and does not have the whole system of registration etc that exists in most of mainland Europe. So from a practical point of view EU citizens can easily over stay the 3 or 6 month limit etc. and go about their lives without any real consequences. That is not the case for your wife, her German resident permit is dependent on you and if you and your son are no longer resident there she looses the permit. At the same time if you are unemployed in Ireland you may run into difficulties in being able to get an Irish permit for her. I know of one case where this happened and it took a lot of effort to sort it out.

For this reason I’d strongly advise you to get proper legal advice on how to do this in the proper order and avoid any messy situation with permits. In addition to the right to move to Ireland, you can also be a “Grenzgänger” and that is usually how lawyers get around the family reunification visa issue. But you need proper advice on that, as it is really a question of doing things in the correct sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭XsApollo

there are a lot of Filipino nationals in healthcare here, Nurses , health care assistants, in nursing homes and they are crying out for them.

If your wife could do a fetac level 5 I think is minimum in healthcare assistance that would be your gateway in. It’s not a quick solution probably a year to 16 months to do the course.
    she could then get sponsored and get a job here and have it lined up before she arrives.
    I think they line up accommodation also in the short term, which ye could then go about looking for family accommodation and then ye come to her, or possibly could get a place for ye all to live before ye come.
    There are nursing homes all over the country, And big Filipino communities everywhere, so she would have no problem settling in that way I would imagine.

It’s probably the safest and best way to do what you wish to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭combat14

the other problem is many rentals are for 12 months contract...

when you both get jobs you may need to move depending on location of jobs

public transport is generally very poor here at least one car may be required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭babyducklings1

The accommodation crisis here is dire and 1,000 a month isn’t much. It’s a very risky situation to put yourself in especially since you have a wife and child to support. Sorry to be negative but you’d really need to have a decent paying job lined up( not minimum wage) and have a place sorted to live in plus transport as already mentioned. Finding a place to live here is near impossible here.

Thank you for all the helpful answers. I understand it may not be easy. But we have to try no matter what. I think the main problem is that I don't have any special qualifications or referrals. I should probably mention that I have a mild form of autism which is why my past is a little complicated. I had a few part time jobs and always saved most of the money I earned to go traveling. I've been to many countries already, but mainly for fun. I stayed in the US for over a year with my ex wife who was american. When the marriage didn't work out I went back to Germany.

I never really had a stable job. But now is the time to change that. I want to build a life with my family in Ireland.

We won't be able to get a car anytime soon. Like I said we both don't have a drivers license and don't know how to drive. We don't mind taking buses. So as long as there's a bus stop nearby we're okay. We don't mind living in a small village. We just need to be able to get around without a car.

My wife loves Ireland just as much as I do. So maybe reaching out to the Filipino Community in Ireland is not a bad idea. It's very easy for filipinos to make friends. Especially abroad. I'm sure it won't hurt if my wife already has a few friends in Ireland. I personally don't see a point in meeting other germans in Ireland. Filipinos are more open and friendly compared to Germans. I have a lot of friends in other countries but I never managed to make friends in Germany.

Would it make sense to find an online Job in Ireland? I mean a job that allows me to work online while I'm still in Germany. So that I already have a job when we move to Ireland. I heard it helps if you speak more than one language. I only speak german and english. But I would prefer not to use german if I don't have to. I know it's my native language.. I just don't like speaking it. I went through a lot of **** here when I was younger which is one of the reasons I don't see a future for myself and my family in Germany.

I'm sure it is possible to live in Ireland somehow. Not everyone in Ireland is rich. There are low income families too. And they manage to survive somehow. So I don't see why we can't do the same. We're not moving to Ireland to live a better life. Just a different life. Even if it may be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

I dont have much to add beyond what has been said, except myself and wife were trying to rent three years ago. We are Irish citizens, all our paper work in order, but one working and one student and large bank deposit and we couldnt get to VIEW anywhere. The problem has gotten worse since. Luckily our problem was solved by a different method. Do not expect any assistance from the Irish government if you are legitimate.

I would would avoid Europe full stop and the UK is worse. The middle east is where its happening and Guyana (English speaking) has found large deposits of oil and has not attracted attention yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Going a bit off topic here, but addressing a few things you said. With your autism and other difficulties, it will be even harder here for you, and also you have no qualification. If I were in your shoes, and I'm only speaking for myself, I would go and get a good psychotherapist, get your mental health a little bit on track, you can then start improving other areas in your life. If you come to Ireland and have to face what will definitely be challenging conditions, under your circumstances, you may end up losing your family, it can push you over the edge.

I think you may go someplace and end up in the same situation, the old saying, -everywhere I go, there I am- Again, best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you get German Citizenship for your wife, that would enable her to work here. I don't know how you would get by yet alone trive on two minimum wage jobs without family support. Can you get some qualifications and both on you need to learn to drive. You wife could easily get a job as carer in a nursing home if she has the basic qualifications but agnecy work would need driving. Who will care for you child while you work? We don't have great child care. I'd suggest your wife links in with the philipno cummunity here via facebook that give you both better on the ground first hand information. Also as much as you don't like Germany, your problems tend to follow you when you move. It's not always the place.

One of the reasons I don't like mentioning I have autism is because people will immediately think I won't have any chances anywhere. There's nothing I can do about my disability. There is no cure or medication for autism. I went to therapy a lot when I was younger. No need to do it again. Finding housing in Germany or even the Netherlands isn't any easier. My mom has been trying to move to a different apartment for a long time because rent is getting too expensive. But so far she couldn't find anything so she's stuck paying for an expensive apartment she can barely afford. There aren't many jobs either. So the situation is pretty much the same everywhere in europe. And we wouldn't be able to move to country like Canada or the US. They have very strict rules when it comes to residence visas.

And I'm not trying to run away from my problems. It has nothing to do with that. If you guys had to live in a country like russia or some other country you don't like you wouldn't feel happy and you would do anything to move somewhere else. That's how I feel about Germany. I know I was born here, but that doesn't mean I feel comfortable here. It's not like we got this idea out of nowhere. Moving to Ireland has been our plan for a long time. When we move to Ireland one of us has to work online because of our child.

You are right, you should move if this is how you feel about Germany. Life is too short.

The other bit about working online, I fear you need qualification that is in demand in order to work online. I think there are lots of people who want an online job. Approach agencies first and see what jobs you can do online. If one of you had a job, it would be much easier to do the move.

In Ireland countryside, you do need the car, so you need to look at where at accommodation is so you don't worry about driving.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lizheen

The downside to that house is it has an E2 energy rating, so it will cost a fortune to keep it heated - especially if accustomed to the comfort that would probably be the norm for the original poster, and as Achill can be bleak in winter, it could wind up being a very miserable, chilly existence.

My wife is currently trying to find an online job that she can keep when moving abroad. That would be one less problem to worry about.

Maybe we can even find a shared accommodation somewhere in Ireland. As long as we have our own room. Maybe for the first year. I know that can be a little complicated especially when you have a small child. We need to find ways to make it work. There are a lot of small cities and villages that still have bus stops. So as long as we don't live in the middle of nowhere there should be a bus connection. At least that's what it seemed like everytime I went to Ireland. Maybe it's not always that fast and reliable, but it is still possible to get to other places even without a car. Unless like I said you live in a lonely house surrounded by mountains.

Maybe we will be able to afford more expensive housing. I just said the limit is 1,000 because it already seemed like a lot to me. If we both have jobs we may be able to afford something more expensive.

I just did some research and it seems like there's a housing crisis almost everywhere. Canada, New Zealand, Netherlands, UK etc.

So the problem isn't just Ireland it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need more than a bus stop: it needs to have regular services! A bus at 10am, returning at 4pm only on Wednesday is ... no use to anyone who us working.

Advertisement