Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

friends and money - loans.. ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

ah look fair play - for family I’d never consider money given “a loan”- friends, for some not either for others definitely - but haven’t been placed in such a position to date but always good to think these things through in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

It depends on the circumstances, and the friend. Usually I would agree that mixing friends and money doesn't always end well, and I've seen friendships ruined over money.

I did once offer a friend some money to help pay some bills. Her relationship had broken up and she was at home with two young kids and her ex was refusing to pay any child maintenance or towards their mortgage. I offered it never expecting to get it back, but my friend insisted she could only accept it if it was a loan.

It was a couple of years later, when she got back on her feet, that she handed me a thank you card with the full amount inside. The card meant more to me than the money, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Got asked by a work colleague today, I said I didn't have it. He earns good money, has a company vehicle and lives in a council house, kids grown up but apparently has a history of asking for loans. Bit of a drinker too and takes lots of sick days.

It was a small amount but I'd feel like a miser chasing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

Have only asked once and it was a no. No problem with that. So asked my boss (years ago) was to purchase a house outright. He loaned it to me, was paid back in a year and a half.

Have had many ask me recently. Only one I HAVE said yes to is my secretary to purchase a car. All paid back.

The kids have asked me for loans, but we have a rule. You save at least 30% of what you need first before I will loan you the rest. One lost payment and the item gets returned until you have caught up. Have only had to take the item back once (a car) for a week or two. Teaches them responsibility.

Friends don't ask. Family don't ask.

Advertisement