Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are some actors treated like gods?

Options
  • 25-03-2024 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭

I don't get it, I know they are talented but all they are doing is pretending to be someone else, why are they treated like they are these perfect people who are better than everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I can't say that I can think of many actors that are treated like Gods tbh.

Although, the whole frenzy over Tom Cruise is something that I'll never really understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Sounds like a lot on here.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mikethecop

im not sure but i think he has donated enough to scientology to qualify for god status there at least

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Christian Bale is allegedly one of the worst to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In a word, celebrity culture.

After all, we live in a world in which Donald Trump's career as a reality TV performer was considered by a surprising number of people to fit him to be President of the United States. There are a lot of people out there who confuse fame with either virtue or competence or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Because celebrity culture is a form of religion .... actors are among the most visible and entertaining of celebs but directors/producers get worshipped too because of the film they produce ....

Some actors/directors/producers are very good people ... but others have 'proven to be not good at all' according to some and not always based on fact! .... Kevin Spacey, Chuck Norris, Harvey Weinstein, the list goes on .... but still some people will worship them no matter what ... some of these are not guilty but were blamed wrongly and others are guilty as hell ... but it does not matter ... people will still watch Pulp Fiction even though Mr Weinstein was involved ....

Films often get cult status .... thus actors in them get same .... the characters become real and we talk about James Bond, Indiana Jones, Dirty Harry, Mad Max, Rambo, Rocky, Batman, Superman, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, etc. as if they are real people .... they and the actor become one and same ....

People tend to get obsessed with fictional characters and they become heroes to them .... not saying it is right or wrong .... but it does happen .... my cousin was a total Bond nut and regard 007 as his hero .... he is still into Bond but is more balanced about it now ...

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Was Spacey not found not guilty? Chuck Norris? What did he do?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Hollywood actors are just a better class of person than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Samantha Atkinson

I am also wondering why other people seem to worship them. I just don't get it. 

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

When I say 'proven' to be 'not good' I mean it in a reputation sort of way ... there does not have to be proof but all there has to be is something in the cupboard that tarnishes the image of the person ... we all know full well Weinstein was truly sick ... as regards Spacey everyone remembers the allegations but he was cleared in court ... but others will continue to say he was guilty ... Chuck Norris was 'seen' at the infamous 6th January far right riots in DC ... only it was not him ... but it does not stop people believing it was him ...

We all have our favourite actors and directors/producers .... and we will run with the story if we do not like the person and we will be ready to defend if we do like them ... I have seen many friends fall out over conversations relating to actors and the like ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Look at this, its like a spoof but it is real. 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Spacey was not only found not guilty but his "accuser" was rightly discredited as a chancer, but evidence of the scam hushed up.

As to the topic of the post - if someone is going to be exalted, I'd rather see someone like Tom Cruise who employs thousands and entertains millions - than someone described as a "Tiktoker" and added to the cast of "Celebrity Sewage Clean Up" or whatever the latest one is!!

Not an actress - and tbh I've no idea what she does but she's in my paper every sodding day - but the one who is married to that idiot Kanye.

Years ago my bus broke down right by where the ladies of the night plied their trade - they were wearing more than she - and the papers are treating her like a queen! The cult of celebrity baffles me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cleared of sexual assault but was certainly offering sex for jobs at the Old Vic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

very true, and its not just actors being treated like gods. It's even royalty and celebs alike. It's really just stroking unwarrented self importance and narcissism. The world should'nt care if so and so got married or had kids, but really i blame the news and all the media. They're at fault for over sensationalizing all this and always hyping up crap that is of no importance. They're only treated like gods by the media, and anyone who's dumb enough to fall for the hype. its really just excessive marketing sprinkled with PR and propaganda, its nothing new. People need to stop caring about those the system wants them to "care" about, and should only care about those who in turn care about them vice-versa.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Gosh I hope you alerted the authorities in London with your evidence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I suppose if you go back to the days of old royal courts and the like - you had certain groups of importance. The druids or priests, your strongmen, the medicine man and the court jesters for entertainment. So that's all actors and actresses are - just court jesters to poke with and at, little real substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's not a good example to make your point because Donald Trump was known within America for his political battles with Ed Koch throughout the 1980s.

He was never just a television star.

Most celebrities do not have decades-long dabbling in politics and known policy positions e.g. Trump was talking about protectionism in 1991 when he felt the USA was getting a bad trade deal vis-a-vis Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't you know that Cillian Murphy is now the bestest person in the entire world? And the most talented, ever.

And you should be very proud that he was born on the same piece of earth as yourself.

And don't forget Mescal, Scott and Ronan. Also absolutely amazing specimens who are just amazing. It's amazing what they can do. Pretend to be other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

More an American / UK think I think. In Ireland our own "celebrities" are not really fawned over. Basically because I think they are more accessible and ordinary (in comparison to America/UK - in particular America). I know Bono is not an actor.

But in America Bono would have near God "status", in Ireland he is that gobshite with sunglasses (with the odd decent tune) who is used as a photo opportunity by world leaders.

But the covid 19 pandemic celebrity "messages" / Will Smith Oscars slap / Harvey Weinstein's antics, etc should hopefully have opened people's eyes a bit.

Personally I think if you are not a teenager/maybe early 20's at push - and still fawn over celebrities there is something lacking somewhere, IMO.

As far as I see it many "celebrities" are just new age advertising boards for the latest product from the young materialist market. Somehow they get branded as "influencers". The sad reality is there is a cohort of people (especially in America) who do what ever xyz celebrity tells them to do, even if it is on subjects such as politics, geopolitics etc that the celebrity is not qualified to speak on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I was working in Waterloo at the time in the pubs he was offering sex to barmen in. Not my place to go to the police as he didn't offer it to me not being an aspiring actor. Most of my friends just laughed off the proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Nothing to see here.

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish celebrities are now being fawned over. Perhaps in the past they weren't, but that's all changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Most of it is money and status. People love to fawn over the wealthy as it's a dream for themselves. The status, the bling, the private jets etc are a way to escape the mundane lives most of us live. If these actors were getting 100k per movie instead of 20m there wouldn't be anywhere near the godlike status. Look at footballers from the 50's or 60's for eg. Good wages but nowhere near now and they would be seen down the local having a pint with the lads. Drug dealers who are amongst the most evil people to walk among us also get the godlike status from some people when their lifestyle is portrayed in the tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

that makes sense but thats quite insulting. i love court jesters, i don't believe actors are jesters. if anything actors are slaves for money and the public are treated below peasents. fake nobility given to slaves is what all this treating actors like gods thing, is. Although there was a roman or pagan holiday iirc correctly were the slaves get to be king for a day. wickerman reverses this with jesters instead.

real comedians are more like court jesters, and worth worshipping like gods almost as they speak the truth at times. some of them. and also like court jesters some also get away with making fun of the queen/king/system while others would normally be hung for it. some comedians get away with it. some comedians speak so much truth they're even seen as prophets

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because... Just Look at them

They're clearly not of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Why not? If you compare Cillian Murphy and any Olympian god, I would give my preference to Cillian. He at least is professional, courteous and moral, in contrast to fickle, immoral and inconsistent Zeus. And I would rather worship Marilyn Monroe's forms than the formless amalgamated Christian god.

I never mentioned Weinstein.

I'm not the poster who first brought Spacey up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Tom Cruise gives me the ick, he looks like he's trying so hard to look normal that he overacts.

Advertisement