Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I don't drive enough for a diesel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,528 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well I agree with you on the simplicity. But I have to say some tech is nice, streaming music, rear camera etc. Automatic Cruise Control.

The Dacias or model eUp or similar give a lot of simplicity with modern reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

You look at EV with rose tinted glasses like I used to but the reality is that battery production is far from clean and then the potential catastrophe of battery disposal in the years to come.

And I was talking diesel with HVO100 renewable diesel not diesel made from oil so we all know the track record of big oil.

I never said making engines has no impact but lets be honest, if we have a fleet of diesels that can use renewable fuels going forward why not use it and save all these cars from potentially becoming useless, that would be a scandalous waste. Efuel can be used in petrol and diesels but ultimately the HVO100.

You say the overall lifetime of EV is cleaner, it's not, it takes 8 years to break even from the production of EV for Co2 then the electricity comes from mostly Gas in Ireland and a lot of this emissions in production ends up in other countries with contamination to vast amounts of land and rivers and drinking water.

2 million litres of fresh water for every tonne of lithium is crazy !

I'll believe we'll have lithium and cobalt free batteries when I can buy it. But perhaps going forward they can make a car like the BMW i3 where you can have a big battery and ICE backup generation that runs off eco fuel and to hell then with a charging network. That would be good.

Well that's the thing, offer all the tech to those who want it, there are more and more complaints about screens in cars and no proper controls, you don't need a screen to stream and you can just use siri or whatever, screens are distracting especially when you have to go through menus, in fact, it's quite ridiculous and God knows how many deaths have been as a result from people looking at screens rather than the road.

Take Bjorn on youtube for example, he's probably drove for many hrs at this stage while he plays with the infotainment or his phone. It's ridiculous to watch.

The E.U has ordered that from 2026 all cars mush have dedicated buttons for things like hazzards and stalk for indicator and wipers. But it's not good enough, this should extend to climate, radio and all the common things people use that can just reach over. Voice control is not a proper solution. Maybe if you're in the car on your own. Haptic buttons are crap, I hate them, there's lots of complaints about them too.

I mean what's gone wrong that car manufacturers have to reinvent the wheel ? only this time they're going backwards.

I bet a lot of people would be happy to be able to knock a few K off the price of the car and add what they want. I have a camera front and rear but I rarely look at it, I'm happy enough with the parking sensors.

Everyone has a phone these days so they could make a place to fit a phone on the dash that can charge it wireless or wired and then let the phone take over the satnav and media rather than have a big screen on the dash, that's just madness and is bad for road safety.

It will be everyone's issue come trade in !

A hybrid would be a waste, no more benefit to diesel really but added cost in some cases that he doesn't need for his driving especially with the use of a company van on weekdays.

If I were doing this kind of mileage I would be happy with an older 2.0L naturally aspirated petrol, cheap cheerful and will run forever when properly maintained. In fact i'm not doing huge mileage myself these days meaning Diesel , hybrid or EV are not really needed. I do like the idea of driving on HVO100. It's a little expensive still though.

There again is the Outlander, the missus fills it around once a month, for the last 203 years she's being doing mostly short local runs and it's running fine, but at the time she was doing a lot more mileage I very much doubt she's buy another Diesel now with the mileage she's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,528 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Rose tinted glasses. Lol. I'm not the posting about only the good of one thing and the bad of another.

That's 8yrs of a cleaner local environment. HVO100 still has emissions.

I think most peoples ideal would be solar where they are not being held hostage by price rise by energy suppliers. It can remove the need for a massive distribution network.

"...Even when combined with other liquid and gaseous biofuels, there isn’t nearly enough biomass to create enough sustainable fuel to meet the world’s demand for freight transportation..."

Some BYD EVs are Cobalt free.

Cobalt and Lithium are also used for billions of consumer electronics.

THere are no simplistic quick fixes, one size fits all with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement