Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a woman? **Mod Note In Post #294**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do bogey men exist if I call myself a bogey man?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I was thinking about this the other day. Life is not black and white. I don't know…evolution of communication and rebellion against assigned definition from complex beings 😁😊

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beeker1

There are many things in life which aren't"black or white " , only a woman can bring life into this world , and my deepest sympathy to biological women that for one reason or another cant bring a life into this world , just because a quack can implant breasts into a man and pump estrogen into him does not make him a woman ! If anything it demeans the beauty of childbirth !

True and Im not saying I have the answers lol I suppose we need society and laws around society's values. We need it in order to function collectively. For example the majority of men are physically stronger than women so we need to take that into account in situations...Im not talking about trans in sports...I'm talking in general in life.

Like I said in my original post on here I'm all about acceptance ..I hate that trans people feel they have to have a 'funeral' for their past self. Societies and past societies have not accounted for trans people and so you have a rebellion of that. I mean people that don't fit the standards of society. Perhaps we are just in the middle of a movement towards ...towards I don't know what...but I understand a conflict on all sides because I very much identify with the definitions that society gives me but I cant imagine the confusion or hurt or even anger if that wasn't the case. Not sure if that makes sense lol

I'm so glad society has moved on , I'm of the generation who beat gay men and in a particular harrowing case , to death ! And from what I remember the perpetrators received disgusting sentences ! I'm live & let live , but there are fundamentals that I can't dismiss , a woman is special , only she can give life ! I'm sorry for those who truly battle with their sexuality but all the science in the world won't change what fundamentals you were born with !

• Advertisement

'im so glad society has moved on'

'Me too'.....beeker.

There is a thing I remember seeing on tv before about Thailand and recognising a 'third gender' but it might still be offensive to people.

Society has moved on ye somewhat but laws and a good majority of people are still catching up. I've often experienced homophobia (not towards me and I don't know how to react sometimes) and sexism (I'm not talking bout someone making a dumb blond joke which I often find funny..more than that and it can be from women too).

Some people are...in social situations predisposed to go at people they deem as "weaker" whether that's because they have feminine traits or for whatever reason (blokes who are heterosexual can get it too) and imo it goes back to the physical strength biologically or sometimes they feel backed up by society) and I'm saying that as a woman who relates in my own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mad how you got offended there, you should probably read the original post and see if it mentions anything of the nature.

You don't have to endure any "phobia" talk , you call it out ! OK, I'm sure there are situations that you can't, like your personal safety and that's understandable , as for Thailand & the 3rd sexuality , I've no idea , but you can't equate a destination for deviants as somehow acceptable because of this 3rd sexuality !

No I just heard about the 3rd sexuality thing. I don't know anything about that. I was just talking about the idea of it..not how the implement of it is abused.

We're getting off the point , that country sadly attracts a miscreant trade that makes statements like a "3rd Sexuality " in some twisted way of legitimising the behaviour of vile people !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

This is a question I was planning to ask everyone who comes to the door knocking for my vote.

I'm setting a very low threshold for the number of succinct and coherent responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭89897

There are cultures around the world that for hundreds of years have recognised 3rd genders and it has nothing to do with sex or sexuality and not deviant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

"What is a woman?"

"An adult human female. Anything else I can answer?"

…..

"What are you doing to address the housing crisis?"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I think most people would find that reasonable. It's really only the edge cases that create controversy where people abuse the 'you're a woman if you say you are' concept of self-identification or where there is a need to objectively sort between female and male, like in sports.

I think the trans thing can also be seen as one theatre in the battle between individualism and collectivism. Are you the complete author of your own story where you get to pick your own values and sort of your own reality, or must people adhere to a commonly-held set of principles and be shunned if they fail to do so?

But isn't every aspect of identity a battle between individualism and collectivism? If you identify as being Irish, being gay or bring a catholic, is that not also part of the theater? If we live in an (allegedly) free country, then individuality should be respected, should it not; where the individual is doing no harm to the collective?

If someone says, for example, you're not Irish because you don't speak Irish aren't they also adhering to a set of principles? Do we kowtow to the collective and force people to conform, or do we embrace the freedom of individuality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Recognising a third gender is a very different thing from saying that men can actually be women because they have a feeling in their head that tells them so.

I'd have no problem with having a third gender - although in practice it seems to occur in societies with very rigid stereotypes, and the third gender seems to be destined for sex work rather than actually being accepted in normal society, so I'm not sure you're right about it having nothing to do with sex or sexuality. In Thailand, "Ladyboys" are definitely male prostitutes. I don't think you find them going to university and becoming doctors. Or even nurses!

I think it would be so much better if we decided to change society instead, so that boys can still be boys even if they like wearing dresses and playing with Barbie dolls, and "tomboy" girls can just be girls who like short hair and want to become engineers or truck drivers. But still girls.

That said, if we had an open discussion about it, like we did about abortion, and people decided to have a third gender for anyone who didn't fit their own gender, I'd be grand with that. What I don't want are men taking women's places in sports etc. Nor enabling sex abusers to claim to be women so as to get easier access to victims in prisons or elsewhere, as has happened in the UK and the US. But that's not anti trans. It's just acknowledging that abusers will use any ruse to get easier access. Some of them spent years becoming priests FFS, so making a self declaration of being a woman, like Isla Bryson/Adam Graham did, in order to get into a female prison, is simple in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭89897

This isnt necessarily what i was responding to, poster i was responding to was equating the 3rd gender to sexual deviency just because sadly Thailand has attracted alot of it. I was saying its not unique to Thailand and not always to do with sexuality and was around waaay longer than the current trans discourse.

Some Ladyboys are prostitutes but not all are. In alot of these cultures the notion of gender was based in what role in society you played rather than the sex you were born into. In many of them the rigid stereotypes and discrimination only came once the Europeans and the church arrived.

Its not at all anti-trans to not want sex abusers to claim to be women with the sole purpose of abusing people but thats a small amount of trans people but some use this as a stick to disregard the needs to all trans people. I agree that an open balanced discussion would be great but sadly social media has made that almost impossible right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

More like, you are not Irish because you are not an Irish citizen, you can call yourself Irish all you like, millions of Americans do this, doesn't change the fact that they are not Irish.

As for doing no harm, thats your opinion.

Also its ironic that these individuals want to be individual whilst also requiring society to redefine the very collective that they are eager to be part of.

In alot of these cultures the notion of gender was based in what role in society you played rather than the sex you were born into.

I don't understand this: can you give an example?

In many of them the rigid stereotypes and discrimination only came once the Europeans and the church arrived.

What's your level of proof for this? Because I've seen this claim made before - not specifically about gender, but also about slavery or about tribal enmities or skin-colour preferences. They're mostly a bunch of "noble savage" stereotypes themselves, spread by Europeans as much as by indigenous peoples. For instance, the Chinese didn't prize pale skin because of Europeans, but because it showed wealth, ie not having to work in fields. Other examples are equally anecdotic, albeit the presence of Europeans no doubt played a role in influencing which characteristics were preferred. But that's just called history - it doesn't mean the stereotypes or the discrimination were created by Europeans, just that their preferences also played into existing preferences in those societies.

Its not at all anti-trans to not want sex abusers to claim to be women with the sole purpose of abusing people but thats a small amount of trans people but some use this as a stick to disregard the needs to all trans people. I agree that an open balanced discussion would be great but sadly social media has made that almost impossible right now.

I'm happy to blame social media for lots of things, but TBH I think the "No Debate" tactic was far more significant in this particular case. Death threats against women like Joanne Rowling for daring to speak up for women, or destroying Graham Linehan's career (after previously having treated him as the Best Boy in Class for his pro choice stance) are why the debate has become so toxic.

Still, I'm delighted that seems to be changing.

Doesn't really tackle the point I raised: why are some forms of expression of identity like nationality is acceptable, even encouraged; but others like gender are not?

Not sure what you mean by "asking society to redefine collectives", and you'll find people are tribal and will join collectives where they fit in and allow them to express individuality while being a part of the group. Happens all the time. Don't like it or feel cramped? No one is forcing them to stay. Happens all the time, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TokTik

Nationality is definable, everyone is born somewhere. Gender is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Didn’t we have a vote so that people born here wouldn’t automatically be Irish?

The tide is turning…

Doesn't answer the question either (even if it was true: both are definable in this context -you can be Irish you can be proud to be Irish; you can be a woman, you can be proud to be a woman). Everyone is born with a gender just as everyone is born somewhere.

Question again: why are some declarations of identity acceptable some not?

how many genders are there? It’s undefinable.

The definition of something is nothing to do with quantity.

If you can’t define what it is, how many there are, etc, it is not quantifiable. It’s a magical, mythical thing that no one can define. There is zero scientific basis for it. It’s “feelings” over facts and not something that should be taken seriously. Time for the adults to take back over and get back to the real world.

gender/ˈdʒɛndə/

nounnoun: gender; plural noun: genders

1. 1. the
      male sex or the female sex, especially when considered with reference
      to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones, or one
      of a range of other identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.

- - -

Not definable is not the same as not quantifiable - they're two completely different things - I mentioned this in my last post, you ignored it.

I've proven gender can be defined it, I've defined as in a dictionary, I'm done.

Your refusal to acknowlege what a definition is is your issue.

You don’t generally get to choose your nationality either - at most someone can choose from a limited number of nationalities for which they fulfill the legally defined criteria. What are the legal criteria for being a woman?

“Feeling like a woman” is about as sensible as saying I’m Japanese because I feel I am. I wonder how far that would get me with my passport application at the Japanese embassy.

But more than that, nationality is a recent development in human society. Sex/gender is not - sex predates humanity. All mammals have a sex and their behaviour (gender, if you like) is highly dependent on their sex. Male lions mostly lie around looking cool while the lionesses do most of the hunting AFAICT. Wild stallions defend their mares, who look after the foals. And so on.

Choice or circumstances aren't relevant either: you can be proud of a nationality you were born into or proud of a nationality you adopted. You can be proud of the gender you were born with or you can proud of the gender you transitioned into.

Why is it acceptable to be proud of expressing something important to who you feel you are, but not to be proud of expressing something else?

• Advertisement

That is not a definition in any way shape or form.

Male sex or female sex or something that’s does not correspond to male sex or female sex. It’s a contradiction if anything.

Advertisement