Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Princess of Wales has cancer

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Then screen for the screenable types without the pedantry.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You can only screen if people are willing to have the procedure needed be screened. Without public awareness, many aren't willing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I see Nicola Sturgeon’s sister in a bit a bother for allegedly posting Kate’s diagnosis news on social media 25 minutes before it was officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

As others have said, there are so many forms of cancer, some rare, some not, all very serious. It could be any of them and it’s not any of our business.

Id say every single person on this thread has been impacted by cancer in their families or social circle.. You are the only one saying, it could be this form because my cousin had it. This is about Kate and her family only.

Maybe when she is better she might give an insight into this period in her life with a view to raising awareness for the particular form she has, or maybe not. Entirely her decision.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It’s not always that simple: screening is only useful if in the end more harm is prevented than is caused by unnecessary treatment of people who would otherwise never have got ill, or for whom the extra years of treatment may only mean more years spent as a “cancer patient”.

That’s because many pre or early cancers seem to “clear up” by mechanisms we don’t fully understand, and cancer treatment can itself be permanently damaging to health.

Alternatively, if someone’s cancer is found 5 years earlier, pre symptoms, thanks to screening, but the treatment doesn’t help and they still die on the same date they’d have died without screening, then all the screening has done is to shorten the time they were able to lead a normal life.

Prostate cancer is one where asymptomatic screening doesn’t have a good benefit risk balance, because the PSA test is not very accurate and the result of unnecessary treatment is itself often life changing, with a significant risk of impotence or incontinence.

Breast cancer screening among young women has similar downsides, which is why it tends not to be systematic for the under 50s. The radiation itself increases the risk of cancer, and ultrasound doesn’t show up well in the premenopausal breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

I think it's because of some stupid theories going around that she was already dead, that images of her were fake, that she'd had cosmetic surgery etc. It's disgraceful that she either felt she had to or was pressured into releasing a video. Poor woman. She's always seemed like a nice, down to earth person.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This.

At the end of the day, no matter what your thoughts are on the RF, and I'm no fan at all of this outdated nonsense, she is still a mother to 3 young children who need her.

Everyone should be hoping she beats this illness and has many more years with her kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Wishing her well, hope its fully treatable. Its close to my heart and my family's heart. We lost our sister last year to a gyno cancer, just a couple years older than Kate. So I totally appreciate that feeling of the unknown and saying to yourself and each other ..'she'll be fine ..most cancers are treatable these days.'

But one thing she and her family has is the royal staff, nanny, house staff, etc to make life a little easier. Plenty of husbands or wives have to juggle school runs, kids sports training, shopping, cooking, driving their partner for medical appointments, and try to keep down a job to pay the bills. Money wont cure cancer, but it can make the journey easier on the family.

I totally understand the need for privacy. My sister and our family appreciated the privacy during that time, and up to the end. We didnt share information, and we appreciated that neighbors, colleagues and people not close to us did not question us about her illness and treatment. They respected the privacy wishes. Now, I hope she, William, the kids and the Middleton family are left alone by the media and the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She posted a Get Well Soon message. Bad timing, but she didn't post any details of the diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

Cancer of the thyroid gland or the parathyroid gland(s) would be considered less serious and more treatable than a lot of cancers. Also there are different types of skin cancer, one which is very slow growing and one which is much more aggressive and dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Then raise awareness and tell them to screen, you don't need a political prop. I'm done having this pedantic scutter thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not all cancers are detected through screening and that is why screening may not be helpful that is true

However there needs to be more awareness of certain cancers that have very vague symptoms so that people are watching out themselves and attend their doctor early with the knowledge that they need, to look for certain cancers to be ruled out.

We all know people who have attended various doctors for months with symptoms but were still not diagnosed in a timely manner. Whether this makes a difference to outomes is not clear but it is very upsetting for all involved.

However and this is the point... do we really think that it is down to this young woman / mother who is going through the worst time of her life to publicise her symptoms and what cancer she has at this time?

Absolutely not and it is just more of the nosiness and prying that some people feel she should be more open ' to help others '

I don't buy that and its like another way of getting at this particular person..

I know you didn't say that as you were replying to another, so no offence meant to you, but this is what we have seen on social media since she had her surgery.

Yes, they are in the public eye, yes, they can help publicise any number of helpful messages to the wider public, but not now.

She needs time to go through her treatment and be with her family like any one of the rest of us would if we were in her position.

Time enough for lessons about whatever it is at a later stage.

Lets just wish her the best and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I think it's time to close the thread and respect the families privacy, we are only continuing on with the speculation of last week, why leave this open, let her get on with dealing with her illness. We know the story now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has she actually asked for privacy?

I've been in a similar scenario (cancer diagnosed after treatment) and really didn't feel any need to keep it private.

Yes, I'm not a celebrity - But equally I'm not having a lavish lifestyle funded by the taxpayer. The latter has a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I can’t decide if that is deeply cynical or just horribly offensive.

Her small children deserve privacy from some of the absolute bile that’s been posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In fairness, since they said she was gonna be remaining out of the public eye until after Easter, yes that does sound like privacy.

Since she's in the public eye, she will get a tonne of flack over her appearance and what the odds of survival our. I loath the royal family but don't think her health is a public right to know. For some it's personal and they don't want to share it and being royalty shouldn't change that.

For the record,I think the royal PR department were morons releasing that image. But I view the speculation about everything from bulimia to spousal abuse to be absolutely deplorable. They're the idiots who think they're entitled to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Fierce tough getting a cancer diagnosis without being forced to publicly announce it. I can't help but feel that Kensington Palace handled the whole thing so badly that she might not have had to make a video if they hadn't quashed any rumours. I'm not sure if it was them, but just before the video was released they were articles about her new project involving babies and early care and that's what she's working on while recovering. I don't think that helped because it made it sound like she wasn't as sick if she could somewhat work. I think that's why the video was released. I think KP PR just exasperated all this speculation.

Before the video, I found it baffling at how quickly and bizarrely the rumours went, so much so that you can't blame Meghan and Harry fans. So many people, including celebrities started commenting on it. Even the papers started running "who is Rose Hanbury" type articles. I wonder if they, or maybe just William aren't as popular these days. Maybe the rumours of William's alleged affair has tarnished his imagine. I honestly though they were a beloved couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Shoog

I hear mention that Charles has pancreatic cancer, very poor prognosis on that and usually takes you within a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

the affair rumours have been around for many years - it’ was the idiocy of the posters that added two and two and got 73- they and only they are to blame- they’re total fckwits

Advertisement