Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭High bike

That made me laugh then again all ur comments make me laugh,a Cork man accusing other teams of throwing the ball,ye invented the throw ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭crusd

All decisions are based on the information available at the time. If he hadn't awarded it he would equally have been guessing. Based on information the umpire had he judged it a 65. And it was proven to be correct

So tell me what information did he have and where did he get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Seadin

You have a chip on shoulder with Cork. Get over it. Concentrate on your team winning next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Whatever about the guess, did the umpire wait in position until the correct spot to take the 65 was established? Seemed to move back to the post fairly quickly - couldn't see if the linesman had marked the position further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭crusd

What information did he have to say it wasn't a 65? It was a judgement call and short of having VAR there will always be judgement calls. And the ball was out for a 65.

These days irrespective of where the 65 is its virtually a gimme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭randd1

Depending on results….

Any one of Cork, Waterford, Clare and Limerick can either make the Munster final, come in 3rd or get knocked out. I think the only permutation not possible involving the 4 teams is a Waterford/Limerick Munster final.

Any one of Kilkenny, Wexford, Galway and Dublin can make the Leinster Final, finish 3rd, or get knocked out. The only permutation there is there can't be a Dublin/Galway Leinster Final.

Huge relegation game between Carlow and Antrim, both of whom mixed the shockingly poor with the savage result.

The only team without anything to play for going into the last weekend with nothing to play for is Tipp.

What a championship we've had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭kksaints

I don't think Kilkenny can be knocked out either. I don't think there's any way both Dublin and Galway can overtake us as if they draw and all 3 teams finish on 6 points, Kilkenny have the best head-to- head record in that mini group and have a better points difference than both Dublin and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Sunday game seem to have relegated the Leinster Hurling championship to Joe McDonogh type coverage. The gap between the coverage, crowds and dare I say it standards in the 2 provinces is becoming wider and wider. 43,000 in Thurles yesterday and then people with dogs and people sitting down and chatting on the terrace in Parnell Park . Kilkenny are the only team capable of winning an All Ireland from that province right now. And I'd put them 4th on the list of would be winners.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Thats where ur wrong I don't have a chip on my shoulder about any team,but I have a huge chip on my shoulder about bad officiating which we see week in week out.Players and management teams are putting too much effort and sacrifice into getting ready for matches ,giving absolutely top class entertainment and making millions for the gaa only to have their year ruined by incompetent referees,linesmen and umpires.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭terryrogers

As far as I know points difference only applies to games against each other if Kilkenny, Galway and Dublin all finish on 6pts, in which case KK would be +2, Galway would be even and Dublin would be -2, so the Dubs would be out.

It's unlikely, but if Wexford beat us by 18 points, and Dublin and Galway draw, we'd be out.

We have 6 points on the table, Dublin (3rd) and Galway (4th) have 5 each. We lose and Dublin/Galway draw, we're all on 6 and it goes to points difference. Currently we're +11 on Dublin and +17 on Galway in terms of points difference.

So if Dublin and Galway draw, their points difference obviously doesn't change. And if Wexford beat us by 18 points, we'd drop behind Galway on points difference.

Probably highly unlikely, but it's possible. An early red for Kilkenny and 2/3 early goals from Wexford and it'd be well on given current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'de feel bad for whoever goes down this year. Both teams looked like they had moments to build on.

Would really cap a great provincial season if we got a Dublin Vs Wexford Leinster final.

Cant see it being anything other than Clare versus whoever wins (or draws) the Limerick game in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

That's because we're just so gracious boy. We 'invented' the secret to winning All Irelands and gave it free to the masses, despite not winning anything for 20 years 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It did leave a bad taste, Waterford woz robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭terryrogers

I wonder which games will be on TV on Sunday? Surely Limerick vs Waterford anyway, given that the other Munster game is a dead rubber. The Galway vs Dublin game should probably be prioritised too given that the loser will likely go out. Kilkenny are already safe, and Wexford should qualify even if they lose, bar there is a draw in Salthill.

Can't be robbed if it was a right decision, and it was. The placing of the 65's, to be honest I think it was 5/6 yards at most. He nailed with plenty to spare. Correct decision that was put over with ease.

On the 65 in general, I think the time has come to bin them in their current guise. They were a part of the time when the hurl was more like a hockey stick and scoring from a 65 was as rare as an eclipse.

These days for the most part it's little more than a punishment for good defending. A player gets in a block or a flick, the goalie pulls off a great save. Their reward? The opposition are given a free shot at the goal under no pressure from out the field. You'll have incidents like yesterday in the Clare/Waterford game, but a 65 usually comes about because of good defending. Even a player deliberately putting it out under pressure to avoid coughing up a goal, while unsightly, would still be smart defending.

Either go indirect, or force them to be taken off the ground like sideline (I'd be much in favour of that with the caveat that once the ball enters the penalty area from a direct ground strike the square ball rule won't apply).

A rule made for a time when hurling was more like hockey shouldn't be a part of the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gisele

I am not sure how Waterford fans can be aggrieved , it was a 65 and it was good officiating.

Dare I say the deise seem to be aggrieved that these decisions did not go their way, they benefitted hugely from very poor and sub standard officiating against both Cork and Tippeary.

Do you recall a man in black deciding to run across the goalkeeper the moment the penalty was taken v Tippeary.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

You're looking at overall score difference there. In Leinster, if 3 teams finish on the same points total they only use score difference from the games between the 3 teams. So Kilkenny are on +2, Dublin are on -2, and Galway would end with 0 in this scenario. Dublin would go out.

Kilkenny are guaranteed to finish in the top 3.

• Advertisement

A Galway/Dublin draw and an 18 point win for Wexford and Kilkenny are gone. They're effectively safe, but not mathematically so.

I though the first port of call this year is the overall table first as part of getting rid of the head to head, then the mini-table if needs be after that, the thinking being teams should be judged on the whole thing rather than just the few games.

It's it's the full table first, we could still technically be knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Nugget89

From this article it's going by the mini table: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41377201.html

"For the second year running, in the event multiple Leinster SHC sides are tied at the end of the competition score difference in the games involving those counties only will be the first determining factor followed by highest total score for, highest total goal for and failing that a play-off."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭endainoz

On Sunday RTE are showing Galway v Dublin at 2pm and Waterford v Limerick at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Catching up with the Sunday Game and Davy saying 'people saying these players were no good and cave in'. I've never heard anybody say the Waterford players were no good. Always trying to make himself out to be the saviour. Sure these same players only got to an All Ireland final few years ago and won the league couple years back. They are all good hurlers so less of the poor mouth trying to make out he's turned them into good players all of a sudden. They were top players long before he was brought back and they'll still be top players long after he's gone.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,267 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Everyone I listened to said it was Davy was the problem not the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭BarryNumber1

Leaving in soft goals had a bigger impact. There's only a puck of a ball between the top 4 teams, Cork could just as easily be out of the running… injury time penalty a week ago, that 65 yesterday for Clare.

Davy's strong personality also means he gets TV gigs. So there's a bit of that going on as well.

• Advertisement

Donal Og asking whether the spirit is gone out of Tipp hurling. Saying only for Peter Caseys injury that 15 point loss would have been 20 and Patrick Horgans disallowed goal was a sympathy call from the referee. Then asking where was the Tipp support being outnumbered possibly 10 to 1 at home in Thurles. Obviously Cork far bigger population but in games between the two in 90s i remember a packed Killinan End of Tipp support. It was hard to see much blue and gold in the stands on tv yesterday. You know it's bad with a few Cork posters saying how much hurling needs Tipperary and they'll be back almost feeling sorry for Tipp. Bit over the top imo.

Advertisement