Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

They have Waterford slight favs 10/11 v 11/10 Tipp.

What would you have it yourself?

I'd think Watetford 8/11 v Tipp 11/8 somethin like that. Waterford favourites but wouldnt be a massive shock if Tipp were to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My 70 year old dad from Tipp declared it the worst outing from any Tipp side he's ever seen.. I don't know but they were never at the races

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I dont buy that at all. We are in very poor shape going into next weekend mentally and physically. Likely to be big changes in the team. Managers credit in the bank is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Butterbeans

Up there with the 2012 All-Ireland semi final v Kilkenny.....but that was the day Lar Corbett chased Tommy Walsh around Croke Park even though Pa Bourke was marking Tommy and Jackie Tyrell was marking Lar....it was the oddest thing

• Advertisement

That was ridiculous. Babs Keating said he'd never go to a Tipp game again as long as Lar was playing. I've heard Lar's opinion on what he was trying but it still never nade sense.

In a lot of games between Tipp and Limerick in recent times Tipp have been ahead at ht and Limerick have hammered Tipp in second half. Wasnt there a 16 point turnaround in Munster final few years ago? The only difference today was Limerick taking over after about 15/20 minutes and leading by 5 at ht. Tipp fans saying worst game ever where its not a hell of a lot different to some recent Tipp v Limerick games if my memory serves correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Butterbeans

Yeah, 2021 Munster Final Tipp up 10 points at half time

At least we had 1 good half that day and were beaten by around 5 in the end. That third quarter from Limerick was just ferocious.

We were dung all game long today. Only in the first 20 Limerick were as bad as us but that was never going to last, although I still dont think they are at full throttle at all.

2012 we were up a point at half time, so today might even be considered worse than that.

Im struggling to remember a worse performance. Had we a single forward give anything above a 4 out of 10 performance?

We drew with them last year in the RR so there is a fair difference from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Rosita

I'd be slow to mention that as a bad Tipperary performance. They scored 2-16 in the first half alone. No team has gotten close to that against this Limerick team. Tipperary couldn't work the ball out of their full back line today. Very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Munster is such a dogfight to get out of, yet Kilkenny and Galway are guaranteed an easy passage out of Leinster every year. I don't mean any disrespect to these counties, but you have an even enough Munster championship. In Leinster Kilkenny and Galway have Antrim and Carlow as opposition and Wexford and Dublin teams who are a long way off being all Ireland contenders. There really is an imbalance there imo.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yeah open draw is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick were crap in Munster last year. Didn't deserve to qualify never mind win the thing some how.

We were on dorm yesterday. Especially the backs who ate up everything yesterday sent down.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,738 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any info on Peter Casey’s injury from Limerick’s game yesterday? Do we know nature of the injury?

Was a very serious one.

Bone popped out of his ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭shocs07

Not trying to kick people when they're down but the Tipp county board were practically wetting themselves in order to get Cahill in as manager. So much so they make an absolute b****x of the way they removed Colm Bonnar, who as far as I could see was a very decent man. Karma I guess 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tom Dempsey made a suggestion in his column in the local paper that the fourth placed team in Munster should play the third placed team in Leinster in the provisional QFs, and it definitely should be considered. This Joe McDonagh top two entry into the championship proper hasn't worked.

The 2017 league final for me was a desperate Tipperary performance. It wasn't championship obviously but it was a national final and Galway won 3-21 v 0-14, a 16 point hammering. Tipp never raised a gallop from start to finish.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

yeah something needs to happen.

There is a balance needed between keeping the munster championship but also seeding the overall all ireland format.

But on the other side of the coin- would we have seen a game like that yesterday if the stakes were not as high and 4/5 teams progress?

• Advertisement

Whats any of this got to do with the "2024" All Ireland.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭randd1

Not sure that should be the case at all, as you're essentially giving Munster preferential treatment, which should never be the case in any competition.

As long as the provincials stay in place, it'll always be lob-sided. It may be unfair, but that's the price for keeping them. An open draw would be fairest, but then we'd be robbing the championship of it's biggest selling point, the Munster Championship. It's a catch-22.

Of course, what we should be doing is putting in place the structures in Dublin, Offaly, Wexford and Antrim (all of who have the numbers and the clubs playing) is following the example that has been Clare at underage in terms of development, which hasn't affected their football either, and try and turn Leinster into a bear pit like Munster.

Changing the Championship to balance out the lob-sided nature of it is one thing, but what hurling really needs is a few more counties getting better.

And any combination of a Offaly/Antrim/Wexford/Dublin Leinster final would see Croke Park have at least 50K plus at it and likely a lot more, a Dublin/Wexford final would likely be a sell-out. That simply wouldn't happen if there wasn't an interest and love of hurling there in those counties. The interest and love of the game is there, so have the Leinster council get their house in order and get the structures in place to make it happen rather than perpetually looking on in awe at Munster.

Don't tear down Munster, build up Leinster instead, and we'll be fine.

They weren't crap. Beat Waterford with 14 men, beat Cork, drew with Tipp, lost to Clare by 1. Well deserving to qualifyand win it. I actually think they played better against Clare last year than they did this year. Tipp were an absolute mile off where they were at this stage last year when they beat Clare in Ennis.

Maybe Limerick are back at full throttle, but I wouldnt be basing it on yesterdays performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

I thought Limerick were very poor in the first half especially, Tipp were just so historically bad that they were unable to take advantage of it. There was a constant breakdown of the Limerick short game.

I don't think they were that good in the second half either, but they didn't have to be. Tipp produced the one of the most rotten performances in their history. They would have gotten more of a game from somebody in the Joe Mc. Not saying that if Tipp played to their highest level they would have won, because Limerick's highest level is obviously better than Tipps.

But anybody acting like Limerick this year in Munster is a different beast to last year, I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Galway didn't qualify in 2019 and the matches between all 4 strong teams in Leinster are largely competitive. Based on their performances over the past few seasons, it's unlikely Waterford would be any better than Wexford / Dublin were they to be in Leinster. Galway haven't pulled up too many trees under Shefflin yet, but were still able to overcome Cork and Tipp the past 2 years in the qualifier. This season to date, Cork are practically out before May even starts and Tipp look very poor. Munster might be a dogfight but not a lot to suggest that all teams there are superior to what's in Leinster.

@MfMan I decided to tag you because for some reason you can't quote posts on mobile phone!

In Munster we don't have the likes of Antrim and Carlow in our group. Apologies if i sound disrespectful to those counties but there is bit of an imbalance there wouldn't you say?

Waterford did get to an all Ireland final in 2020 and knocked Galway out of the championship in 2021, so i wouldn't consider them to be an inferior team to Wexford and Dublin at all imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

Yes, but years 2020 and '21 were Covid years, the round-robin system was suspended. The RR hasn't been kind to Waterford in particular, winning just one (?) match in it's entirety before 2024? And I'm sure you noticed Westmeath's win over Wexford last season and Antrim's victory at the weekend! In spite (or because) of that you can be sure Wexford will be raring to go against Galway at home on Saturday. Only this season and last has there been 6 counties in Leinster, thus an extra 'whipping boy' (no offence either). For the first three years of it's existence margins for error in Leinster were tighter. Thus, in 2019 Galway were eliminated on scoring difference when all 4 'strong' teams finished level on 5 points. There has never been a conclusion that tight in Munster.

To repeat, Munster may be a dogfight but it doesn't mean it's any less fair viz-a-viz Leinster.

@MfMan Valid points i agree i still think it's easier to rebuild a team in the Leinster championship than in Munster though.

Antrim and Westmeath have claimed Wexford's scalp yet i still couldn't see either of them or Carlow beating anyone in Munster.

I just think while suprise results can happen the Leinster championship is overall a bit less intense than it's Munster equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

20 minutes gone... Wexford 0-09 Galway 0-06

Wexford look to have a better game plan so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭C4000

Looked like a clear point for wexford waved wide there......

Advertisement