Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2024 (Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It's as big a shocker as last year against Westmeath. Antrim got beaten out the gate by Kilkenny not even a week. After conceding two late goals last week and throwing such a strong position against Dublin, that probably puts Wexford out of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

Well called. Could not see that happening. Absolutely brilliant match....James McNaughton and Seaan Elliot heroic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Dublin have Antrim at home so if they do the business this evening v Carlow they will be in a good position to get third spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭kksaints

Hope you lumped on Antrim. Fair play that was some prediction.

But Wexford must be really awful to lose to that Antrim side. Without Chin they'd have next to nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Montys return

Wexford have gone a long way back since 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I really think teams are just throwing the games against Kilkenny and Galway and target the games that matter.

How far ahead were Wexford at the peak. Did I see it get to 7 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭C4000

Ye they went 7 ahead, but Antrim were always well in the game. Got 5 in a row after that and two goals at crucial stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Two goals that sums up the naivety of Wexford's defence. First one, Antrim player gained serious yards without being touched- you have to tactically foul there. Same goes for the second through the middle, one of Wexford's players actually had his hands on his hips during the passage of play.

Antrim's square ball goal was quite dubious too considering the two that the same officials allowed stand for Limerick last week.

Without Chin, Wexford would be screwed. He is somehow still under-rated-became the sixteenth highest scorer in championship history today and scored a goal that if it was scored by a Munster player would guarantee them an All Star already.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wish I was a betting man, huge win For Antrim and potentially could be game over for Wexford now but you just know Wexford will get a result over Kilkenny like they always seem to do in this Round Robin

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭supernova5

ever taking into account that Antrim are a handful in Corrigan park I really didn't see that coming especially given their absolute annihilation against the cats last week, well done Glensmen , keeps the whole thing more interesting now

• Advertisement

Keith Rossiter came in for a lot of praise after beating Waterford in Walsh Park in the league and ultimately keeping them in next years top tier of league hurling. Credible draws with Kilkenny and Clare, also. While Antrim were busy losing all 5 of their league games.

After throwing away that late 5 point lead at home to Dublin last weekend and now losing to Antrim that credit is probably gone now for Rossiter and a lot of soul searching on the long drive home tonight from Belfast.

Early doors Carlow 0-5 v 0-1 Dublin.

25 mins

Carlow 0-10 v 0-6 Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭newhouse87

WExford seem to peak in the league. Need to start planning their training better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just seen Buff had the Antrim result up. Great to see a bit of competition.

As expected hard fought win for Dublin above in Carlow. No doubt Carlow targeted this game to take a scalp like Antrim did a few hours earlier. Wasn't to be however as Dubs did the business and are now favourites to get out of the the group.

Favourites certainly but Antrim will be getting excited at the prospect now too.

If the game was up in Corrigan Park it would be pretty much 50/50. Dublin barely scraped a draw there last year. But at home in Parnell Park i don't remember Antrim beating Dublin there. Last big Antrim win in Dublin was about 15 years ago and that was in Croke Park. Michael O Donoghue is there a while now and will give Antrim the respect they deserve but Dublin should have enough.

Have Antrim and Dublin played many times in championship in Dublin. I assume they had a few in the pre round robin knockout days.

The round robin has thrown up lots of annoying "stats" like "Limericks first win in Ennis in X years" or vice versa.

Cork have only played Clare once in PuC in championship history but if Clare win I'm sure we will hear about "Clare's first ever win" like it's a big deal.

• Advertisement

Not sure on that one. I presume there has been a few. Not too long ago some of the big counties used come a croper in 'Fortress Parnell'.

I'm sure Michael O Donoghue has even bigger aspirations than being the third team in Leinster.

Dublin have a fairly healthy head-to-head v Galway in last decade if memory serves correct and have Kilkenny in Parnell.

Beating a Joe McDilonagh finalist in preliminary quarter final and losing a quarter final was the best i coukd see for this team this year but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭shocs07

In Clare's case, twill be a big deal as Cork would be half way out the exit door.

On the history thing, apart from the match in Ennis in the mid 90s in which Clare were about 12 points up at half time and won in the end by 3 or 4, I'd say our lads have played no championship matches in Ennis between then and the round robins?!

I remember Tipp beat Cork in Cork in 2010 or thereabouts and it was all about Tipps first championship win on Cork soil in 80 years or something but nothing about the amount of games they had there in that time which was very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can't recall Waterford winning a game in the Gaelic Grounds. We won a league game in 2012 or 13 in Ennis

Both venues have been graveyards for us in the Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

Waterford beat Limerick in the League in the Gaelic Grounds in 1990. That's the last time they won there against Limerick in the League (they did draw there in the League since). As with the other posters' remarks about the Tipperary/Cork one and Limerick in Ennis, Waterford have not played Limerick there often enough for this to be significant. League meetings between the teams have been rare enough over those years. If they've played each other in the GG 3/4 times over those years that'd be the most of it.

Now whether Waterford have beaten other opponents in the GG is a different question. They probably haven't played there much at all because of the location. Waterford have a good record against Galway but not sure if they've played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

waterford played Galway in GG in 2004 in a league final and suffered a heavy loss…..following week though they played a very fancied Clare in ‘Dalo’ first big match in charge and absolutely annihilated them something like 3-21 to 1-8…..it was the start of ‘big Dan’s’ goal scoring phenomenon…..he got 3 that day from memory…..!

They also had a draw there 2018 v Tipperary the day the umpire judged Austin Gleeson to have caught a high ball behind the goal line…proven by the tv cameras to be an utterly incorrect call……the next week (I think) down in Ennis they played Clare and about 5 players pulled up during the game with injuries and subsequently got a hiding off da banner…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Great win for Antrim but i've always considered Wexford to be a county of strong hurling tradition. The Rackards in the 50's and Tony Doran in the 60's and 70's etc.

That drawn all Ireland semi final against Cork in 2003 was a cracker of a game! They've only won the one senior all Ireland since 1968 though, and that all Ireland win was almost thirty years ago now.

Wexford probably have the best fanbase in hurling along with Cork and Limerick. They deserve better. I don't think they've won an underage all Ireland since the 60's or 70's as well.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

We arguably have as storied a hurling history as anyone outside the big 3, as you said, the Rackards and Doran, but also the Quigley's, Mick Jacob, Damien Fitzhenry, George O'Connor and other greats. Our all-time XV would stack up against anyones.

Our history also contains plenty of heartbreak, near-misses and fairytale too, which adds to the fable- Cork pouncing for a late goal to win (I think) the 1977 final, going the whole of the 80s without a Leinster title, George O'Connor playing 17 years without any success until winning the holy grail in his last ever game. Think we have attendance records for the finals of the 50s and 70s.

However, in my life-time (born in 1988), only Carlow and Dublin of the teams competing in the Liam McCarthy this season have appeared in less All Ireland finals than us. I have seen Wexford win four Leinster titles in my life-Offaly have won 5 during the same period (I was a baby/toddler for their first three so obviously don't remember).

One thing that often gets over-looked is that we have a proud footballing tradition too. We are the third most successful Leinster county in terms of All-Ireland wins, and have the same number as Down and Cavan and more than Tyrone. We were the first team to win four All-Ireland titles in a row and were by all intents and purposes a footballing county prior to the emergence of Nicky Rackard (who won a Leinster football medal in 1945).

A unique feature within Wexford though is the fact that almost every club in the county is dual. The only exclusively hurling clubs are the 'big 3'- Oulart-The Ballagh, Rathnure and Buffers Alley. However, the latter two of those are currently intermediate (the Alley have been intermediate more than senior over the last decade), and Oulart drop down to the second tier only 3 years ago. The Alley's (who haven't won senior hurling since 1992) last significant adult title was a junior A football championship two years ago, they got beat in the junior football final last year, and Oulart won a junior B football title in 2022 as well. None of those three traditional heavyweights have a representative on the senior hurling panel at the moment.

Chin's club Faythe Harriers are a stand-alone hurling entity too, but the bulk of their players play some level of football for one of the many football clubs in Wexford town, while Na Fianna Clonard have re-established themselves as a hurling club in the town as well, operating down in the boondocks of the basement grade. Otherwise, every other club in the county field a team in both codes (although how seriously some treat one sport over the other is another question entirely).

So I suppose what I am trying to say is, we aren't as strong a hurling county as we think we are- we are traditionally a dual county, and an average one at that. And I am happy enough with our lot- the hope of the next Rackard/Doran is always there, and considering the bulk of our All-Ireland's arrived in golden generations (four-in-a-row football and one hurling title in the 10s, two in a row in the 50s, two in 60s), whose to say another magical period won't appear?

Its the hurling illuminati within the county that do everything to promote hurling (without doing a sterling job) and to condemn football that need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Post edited by castletownman on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

A lot of Leinster people here seem desperate to push the ideal of relegation from the competition but if Wexford do get relegated (and it will probably happen at some point if they remain vulnerable against Antrim/Westmeath type teams) it could do the county permanent damage. They need the promotional value of bigger games.

• Advertisement

On the Throw-In podcast during the week Eddie Brennan said his standout moment/moment's from last weekend's games were Shane O' Donnell's assist for Aiden McCarthy goal and the Down hurlers

just wondering is Brennan doing some work up there with the Down seniors?

Advertisement