Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beat 102 /103

Options
  • 22-03-2024 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Just seen on X that Bauer have reached an agreement to acquire Beat 102-103 any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Wonder what’s happening with WLR then?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

They're getting new jingles that's going to take them into the future.A bit of a shuffle is on the cards in terms of presenters...same aul presenters,same aul playlists,same aul shite...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

I can't help but feel an inevitable national Spin network is coming - local breakfast and drive in Athlone, Waterford and Limerick, but everything else networked from Marconi House.

Wouldn't surprise me at this stage if Bauer's Cool FM in Belfast were to join the party to top it all off as an (almost) all island network.

Needless to say, I'm sure the cash machine will be the first sign of the new owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No surprises really - but I'd say some of the long-termers in Beat are disgusted. Some of them have had a seriously handy number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't understand how the CnaM or the CPCC can consider this, Bauer are basically doing everything Communicorp wanted to do but weren't allowed.

Does anyone think that CnaM or the CPCC would be allowing this takeover if it were Communicorp?

What ever about a syndicated Shows across all yuff station, why not go the whole hog and let Bauer buy Wireless Ireland!

In effect Bauer will now have a 3rd nationwide Broadcaster.

Does Spin SW broadcast in Cork or is that license Red FM?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭deise man

Another station for the cash machine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lord Nelson

The so called regulator has been asleep at the wheel for the last twenty years. Their main focus is to maintain the status quo at the expense of diversity or innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a bit surprised at this but i guess it was always going to come sometime.

i am calling it that it's not going to be the last buyout by any means either by bauer media.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Word has it they may want to offload Newstalk to News UK. If News UK buy Galway Bay FM, Highland, Radio Kerry Group incl. SSNS and Tipp + Clare FM as well as WLR and South East, KCLR + KFM, East Coast then effectively there'll be 2 groups owning more or less everything in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

Newstalk generates a lot of income for Bauer. I'd be shocked if they sold it too News UK. Although that would lead an opening for Ryan Tubridy to come back to Ireland etc.

Its all speculation at the moment but just looking at what Bauer have done in the UK and other countries is basically merge stations with some local presenting. I can see Beat | IRadio | SpinSW | Spin103.8 and maybe REDFM rebranding to something like Kiss FM with local breakfast and drivetime shows everything else would be syndicated from Dublin etc. Which then of course begs the question does the local radio license still stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

Red FM is still in Cork but Spin SW is all but networked from dublin now with just the breakfast and drivetime show weekdays and one show on Sat & sun coming from Limerick. Even this week when Ed away from Fully Charged they have subbed him with a Spin 1038 presenter. Was easy to do given the shared identity (and in fact I think it started before Bauer took over) of the stations, cant see it working with Red and Beat as much.

Does Spin SW broadcast into Cork or just the surrounding Counties (up to beat's franchise area)?

• Cork - Red FM
    • South West (exc Cork) - Spin SW

?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Cormac Moore isn’t a Spin 1038 presenter. He hasn’t been on Spin in years. His last radio gig I remember was doing Room 104 on FM104 two or three years back.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish Times clearly want out; Newscorp already sell their ads for them so it'd be a cheap and easy sale.

Issue of the shared studio facilities with Beat though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭its_steve116

thanks for that clarification, I just assumed he was a part of the Bauer/Spin roster as Valerie mentioned having worked with him in the past and knew him. he's very good i've never heard him before.

I dont know, but when driving up to dublin i can get SSW up to portlaoise on the M7. I can get Beat perfectly in north tipp/south offaly as well. with a decent car aerial its amazing what you can get here - Galway Bay, Shannonside, Red FM, East Coast, Midlands 103, have all popped up.

I should say is it licenced for Cork or is that licence held by RedFM.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not licenced for Cork, due to Red who really don't serve that remit anymore.

So Bauer have all Regional Youth Stations along with both Cork and Dublin. Have the CnaM made any comment on this?

______

Yesterday

They have rubber stamped the Red and iRadio deals and I expect them to rubber stamp the Beat one too.

They will allow basically anything if you say the alternative is pulling the station off-air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

I can pick up beat in ringaskiddy cork and heading east from the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shan Doras

No wonder they'd want rid of Newstalk

interesting stuff!

I wonder where the 3 million of liabilities for Spin came from - although this is 2021 and I wonder was this when they were still renting the out studio in Tralee and had the fleet of spinni cars? The limerick studio is in an industrial estate so I guess thats rented and they only have 4 presenters, and some news staff. Not sure how many producers?

I find the OTB one interesting and shows why they moved to a subscription model.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

The advertisers are starting to cop on to the jnlr.They know the 15 to 35 year olds are not tuned to any fm radio stations .they are all online, and not radio apps. the game is up .Carnage coming to the fm dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

They don’t have any news staff down there. You’ll hear the same ones on Spin south west as Spin 1038 so it all seems to come from Dublin.

The staff they’ve got is just the presenters, part time Spinis and I’ve seen them advertise for a part-time social media person in the past so probably that too. And possibly their own sales person?

I always imagine radio stations would have a buzz in the office but I would say Spin south west has so few staff that it must be dead

Advertisement