Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Harris, the TikTok Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Talks of moving McEntee into ministerial role incompetent ministers, dropping the hate speech bill and some other reshuffling of ministries.

Talk by who though? Has Harris himself (or anyone close to him) given any clear signal he intends to move in this direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That was some speech he gave. Who wound the toy soldier up? He's going to save the nation and "take back the flag" 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It was like his balls dropped and voice broke in the same hour 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

He sounded deranged today. Embarrassing to have that broadcast abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Just wait will Mary lou gets hold of him after Easter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm sure organised crime gangs around the state are shaking in their boots now that "Strongman Simon" is going to take our flag back!

He could start with demoting Helen McEmptyeyes and she can take Drew Harris with her... that would do more to improve security in the state quickly...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Just watched the news……have Ryan Turbidy and Simon Harris ever appeared in a room at the same time 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a politician that I believe in as little as Harris.

He's McEntee 2.0, in a position he's simply not qualified for, already has a string of failures to his name and yet just keeps falling up, its madness when you think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

😂

Wow. . . I was thinking exactly the same thing. The mannerisms and awkwardness of both make RT and SH seem very similar. Actually I never even noticed that until I saw Harris' speech today,

Harris is a poor public speaker. He really does come across as a TY student on work experience. FG have taken a massive gamble on him and I'm not sure it's going to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That was like John Cleese meets Dermot Morgan. Utter parody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

Talk about kicking a man down when he hasn't even started the job. This thread is full of so much negativity. Give the man a chance and judge him in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

And of course you would say exactly the same if, for example, Pearse Doherty was taking over SF, or Aodhan O'Riordan taking over Labour etc. No, you would be slating them based on their existing track record and any elements of their personalities you dislike.

No. I'm a glass half full person. This thread has become a cesspit for negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'll give him a chance but Jesus Christ that clip of him on RTE is painful to watch. It's very hard to take him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Says he will lead the party with "blood, sweat and tears"

We already know who it will be shedding the above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Of all the things he and FG have got wrong, al the legitimate things to have a go at I don't understand why people people are throwing low blows about his college history or his Tiktok use.

He is simultaneously out of touch with the real world but also is a joke because he doesn't have a degree (which most of us don't)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just had a healthy debate with a lady who is in pension years. Simon is going to save the country. He went to some event in Glendalough once and sat and had tea and ate buns like a normal person. I managed not to laugh out loud!!! Is it any wonder the country is in such a state when this is how low the bar is for our government representatives!!!

I've had the pleasure of having tea with Simon as he was at the opening of an envelope I attended. Promised the sun, moon and stars at that and when he was contacted months later due to an issue we needed his help with, we received no reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

FG haven't really taken a gamble no one else put their hand up. He seems to be the proverbial lamb to the slaughter maybe. He'll take the hiding at the next GE then move him on and start from scratch might be the thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very poor choice imo, but no one else wanted to put their head on the chopping block, the definition of an opportunist, I dont think he has excelled in any role.

Sad state of affairs, he won't inspire many to vote FG, someone who has never had a real job and didn't even finish university says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But we've been watching Simon for several years. He's a known entity. An empty vessel that makes a lot of noise.

Maybe this new set of circumstances will see his vessel fill to the brim, but I'm not holding much expectations. Are you?

• Advertisement

He has done plenty of others jobs in government...all of them poorly...so what makes you think he will do any better as leader of FG?

Exactly, a few wiser heads waiting in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But who says FG are going to take a hiding at the next GE? If I was one of the other FG 'papabile' I wouldn't be gambling my future on that. Overnight opinion poll has FF & FG on a combined 39%

If that is borne out in the GE FF & FG have at least a fighting chance of putting together another government. Barring accidents, that takes Harris's leaership up to the end of this decade. Okay after yet another term in government FG are probably going to get their overdue comeuppance from the electorate. But are the FG 'leadership contenders' of 2024 likely to be still in place in 2030? McEntee's chance might well come again but Coveney, Donoghue & Humphreys will probably be yesterday's men/women by that stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That flag stuff Harris brought up during his speech was just woke nonsense, something like what the Tories would say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Doesn’t matter if he does, the same people will complain anyway and obsess about him…..

He might step up to the plate and prove the doubters wrong. At least wait and see what he can do then belittling the man before he's been started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

How was it woke?...genuine question thought it was about an irish flag on a coffin of a lad that was involved in killing a gard....

I thought woke was you know liberal progressive ideology etc....

This thread is funny, it is the usual posters who flock to all of these threads to tell us about the doom of FG

It didn't matter which TD took over FG the same people would tell us it was a wrong move, he/she is an empty vessel etc ect etc

Do you ever change the record? checking back on this history of these threads not a single of one of you have predicted anything correct.

At this stage the government would have fallen and Mary Lou would be running the show. From a lot of the posters here that what was proclaimed every few months since the last election.

FF would be dead? FG would be dead? none right. Even now FG are going to get hammered in next election, yet the same was proclaimed a week ago when leo was in charge and not a single person on here predicted he would leave.

Like honestly do you all love getting everything wrong to move onto the next thread to start the predictions all over again and get them wrong again?

Will Harris do a good job? I have no idea. I hope he does because if he doesn't it affects the entire country

Do I think any of the self proclaimed political experts on this thread are right? not a chance. Maybe by some pure luck one of you might have hit a nail on the head but I doubt any bookie will be taking those odds.

I do admit it is fun to watch.

• Advertisement

He has had 13ish years as a TD a series of jobs all done poorly from what I can see, I think that is a pretty good indication of what he can do...

Advertisement