Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Parking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redliketoast

You have no idea how active or inactive my kids are. We work all week and are rarely at home at the weekend. We are constantly out. I love going to the City. I am saying that its more difficult to go to the city than retail parks. I am also pointing out that many people say parking is they biggest issue for going to the City. That is just factual.

If you were to open a business in the morning you would look at footfall. Right now the footfall is not in the City Centre. We need to ask why. Everyone that says parking, is told they are talking BS. So what is the answer. How do you get more people into the City? I am not talking about attractions, but logistically

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I split out the discussion on parking to keep it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was in California a few years ago. Cities over there the size of Limerick have very little on-street (side of the footpath) parking but loads of off-street and multi-storey availability less than 5 mins walk to the main streets, and all free. Such a situation means busses were freely and quickly able to traverse the cities out into the suburbs and anybody who wanted instead to drive could do so.

I can see a similar situation working here if the council ever had the bravery

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You can't get them into the city without clogging the city.

It's a physical impossibility.

Not what Limerick people seem to call the city anyway because somewhere like Cleeves is judged to be "way too far"

Speaking of eateries and most (not all) business the reason I use the city over any shopping centre is that shopping centres are bad for local business.

Local business is good if we don't want Limerick to just be a copy and paste job.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Celmullet

Beck in February I posted this in the Random Waffle thread and it might be apt in here.

My random thought, Limerick has the best on street parking in any of the major cities, especially if you use the Park Magic app. Parking in Cork, using the app you've to register which street you are on, and the minimum is €2 for 2 hours, parking in Dublin you've to figure out which zone you are in which dictates the price, which can go up to €4 an hour in the yellow zone.

In Limerick, the minimum is 15 minutes for 25c, so those even who are just "popping" in to a shop can you it, and it is for any street. You can choose from there up, so only €1 per hour, if you're only in getting a few things. Limerick also has the shortest times when paid parking is enforced from 9.30 to 5.30 mostly and free parking on Saturdays outside the main centre, passed Mallow Street and on King's Island.

Yes, the car parks are expensive, but that's the same everywhere, paying for the convenience of parking in the heart of the city and not looking for a space on the street (there are always spaces, but probably not on the same street as where you are going, and you might have to loop around once or twice). People aren't parking on Patrick Street in Cork or O'Connell Street in Dublin with ease either.

I drive a lot, so know how difficult it is to park in Dublin or Cork. Limerick is a dream in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LeoD

"We need to learn how to get them into the city (cars) without clogging up the city" - unless you build an underground road network that's just not possible.

Walking around the city centre with young kids is a bit stressful due to danger posed by motor traffic - you have to keep them close at all times. This is something you don't have to deal with in shopping centres which are basically a collection of traffic free pedestrianised streets. Edge of town shopping centres and big box stores along with prioritising motor traffic flow through the city centre over everything else has lead to the demise of the city centre. Until it becomes as attractive to live in for families who have chosen the suburbs and beyond over the last 40 years, the city centre will always struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rjoe90

Agree with you and all of your points are correct on the big issues with the city centre at the moment.

However, I don’t see understand why more convenient/cheaper parking would be a bad thing. How do you expect people to get into the city, our public transport is nowhere near good enough unfortunately.

The "convenient" parking usually means roadside and that runs counter to making the city look good and cheaper seems to mean free which would be fine with me but won't happen.

Also to have very central multistorey you have to drive the cars into the centre which means loads of traffic

As for public transport we are due a 70% increase in city buses and loads of new routes. There has also already been an increase in bus routes from outside the city and ease of access to these routes has been improved too.

You could stop a lot of cars going through the city if we had a free flowing ring road around the centre of the city. This would allow more to come in to the city. The Council could buy/build multistorey car parks on this ring road and allow people to park in them for free to access the inner streets. Main problem with this is the council would have to spend money to save the city

The council don't build ring roads as far as I'm aware. They would be TII national infrastructure projects.

Also the big hold up to the full ring road was the part that needs to run through Parteen in Clare so again not the councils fault.

A full ring road would be amazing though and you could certainly then start doing what Dublin is doing with banning through traffic which is a big problem on William St. and O'Connell St.

• Advertisement

TII build at the request of council I'm sure.

The ring road you speak of, if it ever goes ahead, will take away traffic coming from Castletroy to the north of the city but isn't much good for traffic looking to go to Corbally/Raheen for example. A proper ring road in my mind would be free flowing in that direction

You probably wouldn't even need to introduce a ban on through traffic if you had a proper ring road as cars would follow the fastest route.

Not sure how banning through traffic would even be enforced either, and there's always the minority who need to drop somebody off in town on their way to the other side

Corbally to Raheen on a full 360 ring road is more than good enough because It will be the fastest route due to less stopping and a higher speed limit.

Ring roads don't stop through traffic without other measures as every city that has one knows. Just look at Dublin for instance.

If you want to know how you enforce no through traffic there are loads of examples. Again look at the plans for Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The LNDR wasn't a TII project. It was to be a local rather than national road and was being pushed by Limerick and Clare councils with the project being led by Clare CC. It would need government funding, but as it wasn't a national road, it was under the auspices of TII.

I wouldn't consider the M50 to be a proper ring road as it only takes half a ring and is tolled. For example somebody going from Kilbarrack to Blackrock is going to go through the city instead of taking the M50

Again I'm not sure how they would police through traffic or even define what it is so it can be policed. Should we ban a car going from Corbally to Raheen or Caherdavin to Castletroy that wants to grab a quick takeaway cuppa from a cafe in Thomas Street for example?

When I was in college I was driving through the city to get from home to college but I'd regularly drop a family member to work in the city on my way. Was I part of the through traffic to be banned?

You don't "police" through traffic.You make loads of things like converging one-way roads and bus gates.

No one is getting banned.

You keep talking to me like this is theoretical but it's not. Loads of real world examples of you are curious.

Again no one is getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some of the same people that are against traffic in the city are also against the ring road.

Personally, I don't see the city ever being traffic free unless there's an alternative option to drive around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Saturday is no longer a free parking day and traffic wardens now work Mon-Sat.

The availability of on street spaces is unbalanced in the sense of there being little in the actual dead centre with the majority located north of Cecil Street.

And people act like Cecil st. is miles away despite it being just as close to your destination as a lot of parking spaces in a shopping centre.

It's actually not normal to have parking spaces on the likes of O'Connell/William/Thomas St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Plenty of areas of the city have Mon-Fri parking. The big car park across from the people’s park and areas up around Newtown Pery are free on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭leakyboots

What are the streets where there's free parking from 5pm Friday to 8am Monday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

https://www.limerickparking.ie/Home/LimerickCityPDF

Northern, Southern and Eastern districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Thanks. I was looking for some kind of map like this.

Advertisement