Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Parking

Options
  • 21-03-2024 3:29pm
    Administrators Posts: 354 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Limerick Businesses Opening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Limsno1

The car park fees in the City centre are another deterrent. I was in last weekend to meet a friend for a coffee and spent over 2 hours in the centre and parking fee was over 8 euros. Free parking in crescent sc and the other out of town retail parks draws people away from city centre. The centre will start to get a reputation as only being good as a social night time centre as opposed to daytime shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

that was in a private car park if you had parked using on street parking it would only have cost you €2 (€1 per hour) which is by far the cheapest.

the council have no say of what a private car park operator charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

It's fairly hard to get any kind of on street parking in Limerick now unless you're in town early. I have the parking app and head into town the odd time but haven't bothered in a while, mainly because of the scumbags / beggars, lack of shops, the state of o connell street, cost of parking etc. There is just no draw for me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LeoD

Time to introduce a car parking space levy on shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

There are loads of streets with free parking from 5 on Friday to 8 on Monday mornings.

Of all the issues with the city center, a lack of cheap parking is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

was that in a car park ? just checked my park magic app and i can get on street parking for 2 hours for €2.00

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

For longer stays you could also avail of the Crescents free parking and pay 1.35e each way on the bus to the city centre. It's served by 3 very frequent routes with close to 10 buses and hour. Can do similar from the Parkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rjoe90

That involves way too much hassle and really the bigger issue that needs solving is parking in the city centre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

City center parking is not something that is going to increase anywhere. If anything I can see the number of on street parking spaces reducing further. The reduction of private cars using city centers is something that is happening all over Europe. Limerick is no different to anywhere else on this front.

Park and ride really isn't that much hassle. People do it in cities all the time. It's a really good trick if your heading to UHL too.

Parking will never be "solved" in the city centre so might as well get used to it. There won't be free parking and even if there was it would be taken up by the workers in whatever shop you are visiting long before you arrive.

Thomas St. yesterday I noticed that the 818 clothes shop that became an Aontu themed nail place is now a Tattoo parlour. I hadn't even noticed work been done but it's a much cleaner less tacky looking black now.

• Advertisement

Then we’ll need a top class public transport system which we most definitely do not have. We’d need frequent buses that actually arrive on time and a good park and ride system in multiple locations.

BusConnects is to be implemented starting next year. 70% increase in services, longer realigned routes, 90 minutes fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Parking in the centre isn’t an issue. The issue (your issue) is that you either don’t want to pay too much for it or have to walk too far.

It’s not “my issue”, a comment above stated they had to pay 8 quid for parking to meet a friend in town for a coffee. This will clearly encourage people to go to coffee shops outside the city for the free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The days of the local authority ramming as much traffic into and through the city centre are coming to an end. There aren't going to be any increases in traffic or parking capacity from now on. Conversely you're actually going to see a reduction in road capacity and on street parking spaces, in areas such as Arthur's quay, Rutland Street, the city quays etc. The state has climate change commitments to adhere to and the NTA previously conducted analysis and modelling to identify measures that could be implemented to help comply with these commitments. These include public transport improvements, reduction in parking spaces at public service workplaces and urban streets, reallocation of road space and low emissions zones.

Recommendations are to be brought to cabinet shortly to implement these strategies which will essentially force Limerick Council (kicking and screaming no doubt) to put these measures in place. It'll be in Limerick Council's best interests to get on with this as soon as the policy directives are published as they're simply not going to receive funding for badly needed and long overdue public realm projects in the city centre if they don't design them in accordance with departmental and NTA guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redliketoast

This is the biggest issue with City planning

Planner think "why is nobody using our City".

Joe Public answers

Everyone says "no thats not the reason".

We always hear lack of convenient parking, being a reason for people not going to the City. Just because you dont think its an issue, doesnt make it not an issue.

I have 2 young kids. How is a family to go into the city centre with buggies, changing bags etc. and then try to carry bags of "shopping" (clothes/food etc). You expect them to use park and ride??? This sums up the current "green mentality". Its out of touch. The basics of "good design" is Function before Form. If you make it difficult to get there, people wont go there. Thats why no business thinks its a good idea to invest in the City center.

So instead of telling people they are wrong, maybe we should ACTUALLY LISTEN to why people dont use the City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Unfortunately city planners are not responsible for a lot of things that happen in the city. Active Travel is made up mostly of engineers and are of all the bike lanes etc. The O’Connell Street project was a part 8 application as are many other projects in and around the city.

Granted. My comment may be "simplistic" but it highlights the fact that there is zero symmetry when it comes to planning Cities in Ireland.

How is the parking in the Crescent more convenient ?

One end of the Crescent to the other is just as much walking as the city centre especially when the car park is busy and you are way down the back.

Free parking.

More space and child friendly when trying to watch two small kids while packing or unpacking the car.

Indoor parking so kids dontbget wet walking from car park to shops.

Trollies close to use.

No fear of drunks damaging your car while its parked.

No fear of drunks asking you for money while you are getting your kids in or out of the car.

Thats a few ways its way way way more convenient.

Did i mention its free?

• Advertisement

Agree 100%. Some of the comments are laughable “well parking in the city isn’t an issue for me”, this doesn’t mean it isn’t an issue for the majority of people who use it. They need to either invest in good park and ride systems or else more convenient/cheap parking.

Post edited by rjoe90 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

So you think all these features should be replicated in the city centre? Do you even understand what a city centre is? It's certainly not a sterile covered shopping mall so if you're worried about getting wet in there, amongst all the other hyperbolic sensationalist fears then maybe an outdoor street based retail and hospitality experience isn't for you.

Limerick city centre has a lot of legacy issues which have significantly impacted its wellbeing and performance. A low residential population, dereliction/vacancy, poor public realm/street design, lack of facilities, amenities and public spaces along with the prioritisation of traffic over people being chief among them.

One area it is most certainly not lacking in though is the availability of car parking. There are 9,000 parking spaces in the city centre, 4,000 on street and 5,000 in private car parks. You can park for 50c per 30 mins on the street so this incessant nonsensical ignorant 'outrage' over a supposed lack of parking needs to be called out for the utter bulls*** that it is.

The solid facts are that Limerick city centre has provided unrestricted access to vehicles for decades and decades yet the fortunes of the city centre have only being deteriorating over that period. More parking and more traffic is not going to save the city centre. It's actually going to damage it further. The reason the city centre looks so shabby and generally ugly is because the vast majority of streets are designed to accommodate cars rather than people. Most of the space is given over to vehicles with two rows of parking and two lanes of traffic. The footpaths are miserably narrow and poorly surfaced, streetlighting is outdated and inadequate and the general street environment is blighted by clutter like archaic ESB cables, ugly bollards and excessive signage and galvanised steel poles. These same streets are often full of cars but devoid of people.

Continental Europe has long realised that attractive street designs which prioritise people over cars are essential in making cities more liveable, vibrant and successful for both residents and visitors alike. Until we finally wake up to that reality we're going nowhere in Limerick and the city centre will continue to struggle and stagnate.

Firstly i was asked how parking in the crescent is more convenient. Are any of the points I made about its convenience, inncorrect? (The answer is no).

Secondly, you are again missing the point. We keep asking the question "why is nobody using the city center and why are businesses not interested?". Well everyone keeps telling you. But instead of taking it on board, you attack the answer by calling it BS. Maybe the thanks farming is giving you a false sense of being correct?

30 years ago our city was full of traffic and our city was thriving. Now our city has less traffic and zero large businesses. I mean take away Brown Thomas and what is the City's biggest name? 30 years ago we had BT Debenhams Next TopShop etc. a full crusies street. We had lots of options. Poeple came to our city from other cities ffs.

But now we have car parks that cost people a tenner to park for a couple of hours. Yes we can park on street for up to 2 hours (you can use the app to "re-park" but you're also not supposed to). Parking on street isnt great if you're a parent with young kids. Its not great if you are a wheelchair user. Its not great if its a Saturday or close to Christmas because it doesnt exist. So expensive car parks are the only real option.

The other issue being safety. As a 40 year old man I personally feel fine. But I can see how my wife feels a little iffy about parking in town on street while getting the kids out of the car with the usual drunks around. Its intimidating.

The Crescent has FREE PARKING. It feels safer. The being in doors is an extra convenience for those with kids.

When your product isnt working you do market research. You dont tell the people that give you feedback, that their reason is b***s***. We keep hearing the same reasons for people not using the city. Its parking. If you cant see that its an issue, the conversation is way beyond you.

Businesses are not interested in Limerick City center. The question is why?

Doing "park and ride" from a shopping center with loads of shops/cafes to a city center with very few shops/cafes, makes zero sense.

The reality is not everyone can get to the center without a car. You need to accommodate that. Just look at every small town from here to Dublin. All vibrant busy towns back in the day before we took away their traffic. Now they are all dying.

Traffic is not the enemy. Traffic is the customer!!

Post edited by Redliketoast on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

A lot of the shops you mention above have failed in general and not just in Limerick so not really fitting with the issue you are presenting of a vibrant city, yes they are a loss to the city and yes the city does need to address why it is struggling to attract new or bigger retailers but the same can be said about the crescent and most other towns city's the model is just not working for most.

The Crescent have a few empty units as well that aren't attracting any new big retail either, but again that's more to do with the other issues than just town or Crescent.

I have parked about 5-10 mins walk outside the city centre for years, for free and its a nice pleasant stroll with the kids into town for me or my wife, we have never felt unsafe and have done this in any and all weather conditions .Days I've been in a rush I've probably used the car parks and its been grand,(The euro car parks had a Sat offer for years where it worked out like 3 quid pretty much for the day)

Safety well unless you realise not everyone is out to get you then nothing can be done there ! the begger's are a pain but really again not just a issue that faces limerick. you go on about traffic in town but I would suggest removing the traffic is making it safer and pleasant place to be also no shop is gaining a customer if they are in their cars ,they are probably on their way to the Crescent for the free parking anyway !! vanquished hit the nail on the head Limerick has a lot of legacy issues and the retail world is changing but don't **** on it for not offering preceived convinence*.

by that i mean going to the crescent for me adds additional travel for me or most unless you live close by and then you should just walk there ,pain in the ass sometimes to get a parking space ,potentially more knicks or knocks on paintwork of car from inconsiderate parents leaving their kids swing cars doors open etc still a few a few mins walk to the actual building ,can still be approached in the car park being tapped, all to go into a stuffy mess of a place for 1 or 2 extra shops noooo thanks

The Crescent can be a right pain in the arse. On busy days walking down the mall is like being rammed into a sheep pen, there are traffic jams on all the surrounding roads and it can take an hour to get out of the car park (my record).

I avoid the place like the plague. Most of the shops in the Crescent either have other outlets elsewhere in the city or there are other businesses replicating what's available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

And the worst part is there is no where to stop and have a pint!

I am wary about continuing the conversation as this probably isnt the place for it tbf. But in terms of "businesses opening" it is important to understand why they are not.

Everyone here keeps doing the same thing. The think "I never have an issue, so why does everyone else?". You need to not be so narcissistic about it.

You cant just think about your situation. Doing so misses the whole point.

The excuses here are insane

"Cant stop for a pint" - most people going to town also CANT stop for a pint.

"takes an hour to get out of the crescent" - mate I go there EVERY weekend and it hasnt taken me an hour to get out at Christmas!!!

"empty units in the crescent" is the same as empty STREETS in the City?

Car parks in the Crescent can get your car scratched but not car parks in the city?

Surely you are seeing how out of touch you are with the actual issue?

I love pedestrianisation and I am all for it. BUT park and ride doesnt work. Relying on people to walk to the City Centre doesnt work. Public transport doesnt work.

We need to grow up. Cars exist. We need to learn how to get them into the city without clogging up the city. People keep saying "but European Cities". No European City stops cars from getting to the City. Its about what we do with them. Car parking being free is a start. There should be NO PRIVATE care parks in the City.

Yea cool story. Too bad you didnt read what you even re-wrote

No European City stops cars from getting to the City.

There are large zones of pedestrianisation in a lot of Cities (something I am not against as I mentioned above). The difference is that these Cities dont pretend traffic doesnt exist and isnt needed.

Take Milan for example. FREE Parking outside all major bus and train stations. Loads of FREE CAR PARKS. Yes there are zones that charge 3 euro an hour and zones where it is parking permit only. But they have solutions to the parking. They dont use private car parks to do this.

Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin all have large car parks around the city centre that allow people to commute to the City. You dont need to be able to park outside each shop. But you do need to park within reasonable distance of the City because not everyone is a healthy young man. The City isnt working and instead of blaming people for not using it, why are we not listening to their reasons for not using it. In Ireland we THINK we only have two mindsets "everyone is a whinger" and "everything is s**t". Just because someone is whinging doenst mean there isnt some truth. Too many people prefer their own voices instead of using their ears. I can walk to town. Its not an issue for me. But IT IS an issue for the thousands that AVOID TOWN.

Perhaps this could be an interesting alternative topic though. "Why is the City not working"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'm fairly sure stopping for a pint was just in jest for the most part ! but if you want a better take on it there is a lot nicer eateries to stop of at in town than in the Crescent. nicer parks than in the crescent

Car parks in the Crescent can get your car scratched but not car parks in the city?

My point on the car damage is I've had my own car scratched and damaged hit with doors etc many times in the crescent and retail parks ,I never said this doesn't happen in city car parks, but if you look at post I park just outside where no damage has ever been done to my car and have had plenty of space to be able to get out and assemble buggies etc without hassle

"empty units in the crescent" is the same as empty STREETS in the City?

everyone agrees that there is problems with getting new businesses to open but you cant ignore the fact that even if limerick OR LCC solved their side of the issues it still may not be able to attract business due to the changing landscape of retail EMPTY STEETS EMTPY UNITS stem from the same issues in general

I love pedestrianisation and I am all for it. BUT park and ride doesn't work. Relying on people to walk to the City Centre doesn't work. Public transport doesnt work.

do you though, you should be encouraging your kids to be outdoors and walking ,hell even for your own health , parking up in cleeves and strolling in to town is far nicer than trapsing around the Crescent fair enough if you are only getting your weekly shop but outside of that why would you bother

Advertisement