Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register365? Usurping domains?

Options
  • 21-03-2024 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

** possible mix up here, client had 2 accounts on register365

Post edited by Tara4 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If it was free and available, why was your client trying to buy it as stated??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What's the creation date on the whois record for the domain?

Is the domain no longer available to purchase? Is the price gone up? It's hard to see any benefit to the registrar - they had to pay to register that name, it doesn't make much sense to sit on it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Exactly - the whois record is all that you can trust here.

Do you know how your client decided that the name was available?

Did they actually check the whois database or just point a web browser at the address and nothing came up?

It seems a huge coincidence that the domain turns out to be registered with the company they were trying to buy from.

Is there any chance that the name had previously existed, perhaps even under the control of your client?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Tara4

OK. It looks like the client had two accounts. I had checked the DNS records yesterday, the domains were listed as owned by Namesco and didn't include a registration date.

I might have jumped the gun on this one. It can take a while for DNS Records to update. Let's assume I had this one wrong.

Advertisement