Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar resigns as Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭thomas 123

FG really doing their best to end themselves for a long long time.

We are witnessing an implosion before our eyes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We're gonna have a government controlled by independents, aren't we?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If some of the less mad ones can form a coherent group with a whip, there will almost certainly be such a group in the next Government.

Either a centre right, ex FF/FG group or possibly a centre left ex Lab/SF group (Catherine Connolly, Thomas Pringle etc) grouping along with any Lab/GP/possibly even SD TDs if those groups fall below the 5 TDs needed to be considered a group of their own. I expect there will be more Independents from both of these backgrounds next time.

The existing technical groups don't map to what would likely happen after - the Independent Group has Connolly along with McNamara for instance, two utter ends of the scale these days.

I expect / hope there would a cordon sanitaire around going in with a group of the bonkers Independents we currently have and will certainly have a lot more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Coveney was a disaster.

Imagine a bunch of clown politicians that can't even have the basics right in such a small country.

I hope one day he is held accountable in a meaningful way along with the rest of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Explain what he did as minister for enterprise or minister for foreign affairs that was a disaster? What basics did he get wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lest we forget "Zapponegate" when Coveney conveniently deleted some important texts to cover up his involvement in the scandal… Good riddance to another clown… there's still an events centre Coveney promised to get off the ground 8 years ago that will never get built now: https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41180968.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

All is not right in the kingdom of Fine Gael . I expect a the government to implode soon and an election

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wonder what minister will resign next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭tom23

Would love to see McEntee moved from Justice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

She's hopeless, garda satisfaction, crime and that hate speech bill is another fiasco.

An extremely arrogant woman.

A disgrace to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think she’ll be long for the world of politics, at least front line politics. Absolutely hopeless. Always looks petrified in front of a camera, an expression that she is doesn’t even believe the words coming out of her own mouth but they are uttered because she knows that is what her FG puppet masters require from her.

Even an 8 year old can tell that justice is a portfolio several rungs too high on the political ladder for her and her lack of nouse, poor communication skills, lack of overall ability and lack of reliability and relatability with citizens is really a tough swallow with such an important portfolio…… probably any and every portfolio…

Really shows the poor leadership currently in Irish politics , enabling McEntee with responsibility / portfolio way too much for her.

Leo again… her chief enabler and cheerleader.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

I’d say she will be moved to Harris old role higher education.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Tileman

you should run for politics yourself seen as you seem to have all the answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Saw her on the news yesterday at fairy house with Simon Harris and Nina carbery obviously canvassing for Nina. I'd say Nina was thinking this one will be costing me votes!

Was surprised that Harris was doing photo op with mcentee, he must be sticking with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think she will stay in cabinet but will get moved

My bets are:

Humphries - Justice

McEntee - Higher Education

Donohoe - DPER

H Naughton - Enterprise

O'Donovan - Social Protection, Rural Development.

Richmond - Chief Whip

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He did well around the Brexit talks which should get him a nice gig in Brussels.

He's a pretty bland politician but he would be way down my list of TDs that deserve to be **** canned

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm only 50/50 on Donohoe being in the next cabinet - if he won't commit to the next GE he won't be in I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Surely Harris and FG can't afford to lose another high profile name. Bad enough bad as it is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Does he have to step down as Eurogroup if he’s no longer a Minsiter? Would imagine that would impact on any decision also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

How the hell do you go from Justice to education….are these bods actually qualified for everything or nothing at all and just winging it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

This is why they need an army of their own advisors and a whole army of civil servants to advise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wonder what Leo will do next, I feel he has a taste for the media limelight unless a story is going to break

Is DWTS renewed by RTE, if he sits long enough in the canteen he will be asked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Deciding just to throw in the towel and resign as An Taoiseach is not ok. Leo is getting away with murder here.

What kind of leader wakes up one morning and just says “I’ve had enough”? That’s not the actions of a leader but an arrogant mé féiner.

I can’t believe he’s not getting a hard time from the media about this… but they’re probably way too busy vying for the next round of Press Secretary roles or busy paying back the Government for their decision to reduce the VAT on newspapers to 0% than actually holding the Government to account.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Leo V always looks out for number 1 - breathtaking arrogance, lacking in empathy with the common person, all style and soundbites over any substance. His huge and smug (but fragile) ego was badly dented by the disastrous referendum results so he sees the writing on the wall for FG who in are in a serious state of disarray over the complete mess the country is in with respect to housing, health, immigration, the “refugee” situation and education.

A rat deserting a sinking ship is the perfect analogy here. I’m no fan of FG but I always believed Coveney would have made a better choice of leader than Varadkar and he was excellent in Foreign Affairs over Brexit. Simon Harris will be leader and Taoiseach for a pretty short tenure as I reckon a general election won’t be too far off at this point.

Coveney probably also sees the direction the FG ship is going…sinking.

Helen McEntee is not fit to serve as a junior minister, let alone in Justice where she is breathtakingly incompetent. FG have such a poor offering of senior politicians at this point and TBH FF aren’t really any better.

The Greens have been the tail wagging the FFG dog, like the PDs did in their time in govt during 2000s property bubble years - but the sheer naiveté and incompetence such as shown by Roderick O’Gorman and dogmatic pigheadedness by their leader Eamon Ryan, alienating and antagonising even many of their own limited voting base will ensure electoral wipeout in the next GE.

As for the opposition parties, the calibre of their own TDs bar a few notable exceptions is pretty poor. Politics is in bad shape in this country at the moment - and that is something we all should be worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100%… and he’s always got a hell of a soft ride from the Irish media considering ….and his departure and the manner of it is further proof. A softer ride then any other politician I’ve known…

He’s been an awful Taoiseach, thoroughly disingenuous, arrogant, poor diplomatic & media skills, completely unreliable, untrustworthy, inconsistent and in no way relatable to the average person on the street…. A disaster.

It’s like rte canteen. Just hang in there you’ll be looked after.

And that’s been kind. He couldn’t relate to the ordinary taxpayer. When the person that wrote the line for his speech ‘the people who get up early in the morning’ he probably asked ‘who’?

But I love this country and its ability to rewrite history. According to Mickey Martin, there was no bank bailout so we’ll probably be told that Leo was a powerhouse teeshock in a couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What should he have done? What should any party leader do if they no longer want the job? Should they be obliged to fill the role until they lose an election or something?

Advertisement