Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Dogma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

On a technical level though, there's a lot to appreciate here - despite some key areas that could use improvement. The visuals on high-end machines like PC, PS5 and Series X often look brilliant, with beautiful RTGI that hopefully represents what we can expect from the RE Engine in future titles. Series S is less appealing, without RT of any kind and suffering from low-res shadows. Series S and X have totally broken checkerboarding too, with a very messy resolve. All console platforms and PC also suffer from heavily CPU-bound performance in some areas, with consoles also offering an unlocked frame-rate that gives them an unstable feel even at the best of times.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is a great graphical achievement then, but unfortunately it's let down by some configuration issues on the consoles and heavily CPU-bound performance on all platforms. There's a lot to appreciate visually and its gameplay credentials have been rightly lauded, but equally there are clear areas for improvement post-release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everyone online is saying it's fine and works well and no need to pay for it. Sometimes a bit of restrictions can be good for adding important decisions to games, I remember the fast travel being like this in the original. It worked kind of like etrian Odyssey where you'd have to make sure you were stocked up on items including fast travel items before setting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Entirely leaving out a "New game" option so you can not restart your game if you are not happy with something - really seems to have annoyed a few people online. Cynically then making things like "Change your characters appearance" a 2 dollar microtransaction on top of a 70ish dollar game seems to have annoyed them even more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Played a small bit, really like it, don't mind the fast travel as it was similar in the first and that's a design decision they wanted (although micro transaction is greedy). The no new game is a weird thing as well but on PC it's easy enough to delete. Performance is useless on my 1080ti but that's on me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You get three opportunities to change character appearance per cycle so again it's not a real issue unless you are an outrage merchant streamer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn’t be outraged about it, but it is a strange oversight to leave out a ‘new game’ option - so much so that Capcom has already announced they’re patching it in soon.

Not just for appearances sake - plenty of perfectly acceptable reasons why someone might want to begin a new game and start over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Such as "I've paid for this game and want to be able to perform a basic function".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

running well so far on my system on settings robbed from frame rated fella on you tube

I can tell aleady i'm going to love this . Only issue is I am on chapter 11 of rebirth be hard juggle both !

• Advertisement

Literally this just happened to me 10 min ago I couldn't stop smiling . I love it . Think it's giving me nostalgia skyrim vibes with the old school game play , low frame rate and the washed out world with dragons .

really enjoying this, one of those hard to put down games

X2. Can't put it down despise frame rate .

Game was running fine yesterday and under the graphics memory now it's saying 7.58 gb /7.09 gb but I didn't change any setting wtf?? Is it because i'm outside first major city I wonder ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm really enjoying this, it's improved on the original in nearly every aspect.

The lack of fast travelling hasn't been an issue for me. I've found plenty of ferrystones and you can purchase them in certain shops (fairly expensive) which restock after a certain amount of in game time. You still have to be economical with their use but combined with the oxcart fast travel, that allows instant travel to another town, I've been fast travelling over and back quite freely.

In saying that there is plenty of running about, mainly because when travelling on foot there are so many many caves off the beaten track and locations in the distance that I constantly get side tracked. The sense of exploration is great, reminds me somewhat of Elden Ring.

At the beginning, your character's max weight limit is quite low which was frustrating as it impacts your speed but it didn't take long to become less bothersome once I found items and bought equipment that increased it, plus it seems to increase every fifth level too.

Performance has been alright, a couple of rare moments in the city when frames dropped to the teens for a few seconds but overall it hasn't been noticeable. I haven't come across any bugs and there's been no crashes so it's very good on that front, especially for such a large game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 KkomradeWarrior

I really want to play Dogma even despite the negative reviews on Steam. The game itself is pretty fun judging by the streams and videos I've seen.

Just get it. The negative steam reviews are just moronic sheep influenced by streamer outrage and turns out the outrage isnt even based in any kind of reality. More than likely they haven't even played it.

very good 🤣

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was doing a cart mission where I had to deliver a message, on the first run I got attacked by a giant bird, a wyvern I think? it destroyed the cart and then I think because I got hit by my magic pawns lightning and went flying lol on the second run I was attacked by giant lizards and goblins, I'm loving this game, hard to put it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Im really looking forward to picking this up at some point but i also think the paid content deserves to be called out.

I was in a cart, got attacked by an ogre, while trying to fight that off a Griffen flattened everyone cart included 🤣 and then flies away

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

On the way back from the village there was a giant bull with an axe, was trying to fight it off and a wyvern comes flying down out of nowhere and kills us all 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Slowly but surely starting to put a bit more time into this. Picked Mage at the start but have unlocked Mystic Spearhand so have switched to it. Excited to be a bit more action-orientated.

Not entirely sure what I make of the game as a whole yet. But I will say one thing; if I hear "Mayhaps we could make use of that ladder nearby" while in the middle of the first city, I'm going to scream.

WHAT. F*CKING. LADDER?!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Small patch today for PC, at least they've started to address the complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

The more you play the better it gets,the world is massive,the lantern wouldn't work in a rain storm so walking in the dark,out of no where 2 minotaurs attack

Enjoying the game a lot more now that I'm more combat-oriented. Maxed out Mystic Spearhand so doing decent damage, and switched my main pawn from a thief to a mage too so they can provide support/healing and I'm free to hire pawns just for combat. Now also venturing more out at night. Exploring a lot more too so finding some great side content.

The game mechanics can still irk me a little. Inventory and weight-management can be a pain with how much you might gather in some areas, I have a huge amount of upgrade material but there seems to be very few items worth spending them on currently and get little boost for it too. Fast travel is annoying, struggling to find ferrystones. And camera/targeting can be awful, especially flying enemies or ones with weakspots like golems.

Enjoying it more as I go on, but it's definitely a slowburn of a game and could do with a lot of QOL improvements.

Edit: Also one thing I forgot to mention, I get that your pawns essentially worship you, but some of their dialogue is godawful and so devoid of any character. Maybe Baldurs Gate 3 has ruined me, but sometimes, I just want someone to call me a b*tch. Hell I'd settle for idiot!

Post edited by Penn on

I just wish it worked on steam deck cos I would play it a lot more then .

• Advertisement

Anyone else have a bug with The Phantom Oxcart quest?

I found the Oxcart and have to bring the letter to Brant to see what to do next, but all guides say to meet him at the Inn and talk to him. Trouble is he's moved on from the Inn and is in his office beside the main gate, and I can't seem to talk to him about the Oxcart or progress the mission.

Advertisement