Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragons Dogma 2

Options
  • 16-03-2024 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

How is ye're hype for this and what console are ye going to play on? Review embargo tuesday I think . Im on chapter 10 of rebirth so I might able to get this in a week or 2 depending on reviews / its performance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm very hyped for this, I absolutely adored the first one and this looking fantastic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Will be playing it on PC as hopefully it will run better there compared to console, an uncapped framerate targetting only 30fps on PS5 sounds piss poor tbh. It's only €43 on cdkeys vs €70 on Playstation. Looking forward to it as the first game was great, not sure which starting class to go with though now they split Strider into Thief and Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'm hoping this will be good but I'm holding off on purchasing it until I read some reviews.

The combat and animations look great but I have reservations about the game possibly lacking content and variety of enemies.

There are only so many wolves and goblins I can kill and basic fetch quests I can complete without it getting slightly tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Disappointing to hear it's not 60fps on console. Another one I'll be waiting for a patch. It does look good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Once reviews are favourable, I'll definitely be hopping in. Might have to wait a few months though as I've a few projects needing to be completed at home. Would be buying on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

Preordered on PS5 - preload downloadig.

Really liked the first on the PS3, even if it was janky, but technical limitations, and loadtimes, left it unifished.

Bought it and finished on PS4 - loved it, if again janky and previous limitations obvious, especially in the final boss battle.

Anyway, here's ian McShane with a quick overview of DD2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sounds like PC performance is a mite better than the consoles, but is heavily CPU limited so really drags in certain areas even with the most recent chips. Apparently ‘unplayable’ on Steam Deck.

Definitely sounds like a better bet than the consoles overall though, if it is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭brady12

My GPU is a 3060 ti and my CPU is a AMD Ryzen 5 3600X .

Wondering whether to buy pc or ps5 any suggestions ? Wait prob 🙁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

5 stars from Eurogamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Do you need to have played the first one ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No just jump in, although I highly recommend the first one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

From what I've seen no, the story doesn't follow on from the first. If anything DD2 sounds like the version of the game they wanted to make in the first place rather than a proper sequel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Would love to play it, but my machine isn't even remotely capable of it at the moment. Definitely need a major upgrade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not sure if a brute force upgrade will sort this one out. Seems to just be very CPU heavy due to a lot of the stuff going on with NPCs (hence the performance dips in cities / towns), and the upscaling solutions don’t make a whole heap of difference. Sounds like even high end machines will struggle with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Looks like it's a slow burner but is ultimately very rewarding. One reviewer, Fextralife, said they found parts of the first 20 hours of the game boring and tedious because they were traveling everywhere on foot while running out of stamina and constantly being interrupted by uninteresting battles against the same four enemies, which had been my impression from previews and early streams.

But he then went on to say that it really clicks mid - late game as you unlock vocations and skills, progress quests and discover new locations, enemies and equipment.

I might pick this up on PC then, hopefully the performance isn't too bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully a patch can fix that. It really shouldn't be that CPU heavy considering how little it's actually tracking.

Sounds like the first game. Got a hell of a lot more interesting later on when the bestiary for more varied and the battle system really came into its own with the larger enemies. Had a really worthwhile post game as well which I'm hoping they emulate here.

Half the charm of the first game was walking everywhere and discovering stuff and sometimes wandering into a place you shouldn't be because of you're level.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The bit I heard in one preview reminded me a lot of Gothic, by Pihrana Bytes, wrt to the commitment to verisimilitude and mundanity when it comes to NPC cycles. At least for one of the questlines, I doubt most of the NPCs are much more than dumb mannequins, like the first game.

Though if that is the case it begs the question why they eat so much CPU uptime. I wonder how dynamic things can get, I know that monsters can invade towns so it will be an interesting stress test to encourage that to happen, and have a party full of sorcerers summoning meteors down. Bring the latest Intels and Ryzens to their knees, and overheat the PS5

My i5 4670k would still probably melt if it was 100% optimised 😫

• Advertisement

Considering how little is actually going on in modern videogames they really shouldn't be CPU limited. The issue is that for all intents and purposes most game engines might as well be single threaded. You've one core getting stressed like hell, another running at 15% and everything other core might as well be idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

From reviews it looks like there are a lot of systems interacting in this game so it might be cpu bound.

Some pretty stupid mtx in there it seems. Buying resurrection potions for example. But allowing fast travel with real money is the worst. If it's supposed to be such a core feature that fast travel isn't allowed, why allow it?

Capcom will be Capcom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Seems like the warp/fast travel items are available to earn in game, but yeah, this really seems like an absolutely sh*tty way to implement it. Also seems like there were no signs of it in review copies and it was only added in after reviews came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t buy the idea that removing fast travel enhances the experience. Even as I started the first one, the idea of trudging back through a path I’d done twice already recently to continue the game really made me want to put it down and play something else.

Theres wanting players to explore, or there’s wasting the players time. This feels more like the latter.

Apparently it's like the first game where the fast travel items can be collected during play. It's a bit **** by Capcom but it's not locking fast travel behind a paywall like some are making it out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I saw a post on Reddit yesterday that said players were mass killing NPCs because it actually improved FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Yeah the first game allowed you place fast travel portals anywhere on the map. If I recall correctly I had collected 4 or 5 of them by end game. You can place them anywhere - or collect them and replace them.

There was then an item that allowed you to fast travel to those points you had set. But you either had to find or buy that item. So you were forced to be quite cautious in how often you did this and use it sparingly.

I however bought the game late with all expansions and DLC included and this came with an item that let you do the travel infinitely. So while I was still restricted to 4 or 5 target locations - I could travel to them as often as I liked. And to be honest I quite liked that system. It meant I could not fast travel all over the place like many games. I had to be selective and intentional in where I set up my target locations. But I could do it as often as I liked once I had set those locations.

That seemed fun and restrictive enough compared to the flexible fast travel almost anywhere of other games. The idea of DD2 being a much bigger map - and using the limited fast travel method - has pretty much put me off playing this sequel entirely. As have some of the CPU and FPS issues and a few other things I saw in the review videos posted above.

Will probably play it some day. But I think I will wait for all the patches and a similar infinity travel crystal like in the first. Then it might be something a mostly non-gamer like me will enjoy as much I did enjoy the first game.

Post edited by taxAHcruel on

Sounding very much like a ‘wait for a few patches’ sort of game, at least on PC:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Limiting fast travel on a massive map in a single player game... well, now it's off my list until they bring back unlimited fast travel. Its great to say you should explore and experience everything, but not everyone has the time or patience for that. Limiting it in a single player game is a bit crappy tbh, and then adding it as an MT....

Sounds like it will be great in a year or two when they've fixed all the issues and brought out the GOTY edition. Shame.

Advertisement