Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid or diesel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Biggest tank of diesel. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Even at 60kms, for me it would be ideal : but I'm doing 10k kms a year. The other factor is how much time you're prepared to spend charging it, especially if you're doing so in a work day.

Btw, I thought the Arteon was discontinued, or just about to be ?

I'd buy a run-out model Skoda diesel tbh - VRS, Superb etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭davidivad

New VW Tiguan basically is the same as the superb. Again with the 25kw battery and the WLTP is 129km in some versions (picture below is from VW Germany site), therefore it should be capable of getting 100km in real life. New Superb looks nice and I might get it myself, Tiguan is similar but I prefer the superb. There is a hybrid golf coming our at the end of the year also with the 100+ electric range. Personally I think it's a game changer, most journeys for most people will be electric only and then if you want to go further afield, you have the petrol to enable you to do so.

New Tiguan only available in diesel so far in Ireland, however of the OP, you need to realise the boot space in these hybrids is smaller as the battery takes up a chunk of the space, so it mightn't suit with family.

That will make the superb boot just huge instead of enormous.

Doing 70k pa I don't think most journeys will be electric only. Rather the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

Diesel for sure,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Yeah I'm on my 3rd EV, depreciation is massive, never again and never again will I buy a car on PCP......

Range and public chargers or lack of remain huge issues.

I drive VW id3 tour 5, infotainment and ergonomics are junk, can't beat manual controls and buttons ! but a lot of car manufacturers are using screens to control so many functions. I'll never buy such a car again.

If I were to change tomorrow I'd buy a 2nd hand diesel and run it on HVO100 and it would probably be far greener than any EV by the time you get all the minerals and ship to China and we all know how they care for the environment in China !

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

I don't get why you're on your 3rd EV if you don't like them or if they don't suit your needs? I get you have an outlander diesel also, that was my last car and loved it too. But have a Kia Niro now and it's a fantastic car, no issue with charging and travel to Derry many times a month. I suppose EVs not for everyone, but I'm extremely happy with my decision to make the leap

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Update on this, getting an arteon shooting brake r line or arteon saloon r line depending on what’s out there.

Hopefully the estate.

just in my current car here, got it serviced in Feb, and will be due again in around 3 weeks. Bik certainly not an issue!

Enjoy. Nice motor.

Once I took off the rose tinted glasses and figure out that battery production is causing more harm than good I kind of took the edge off it for me I have to say. Politicians pontificating as if Ireland moves 100% to EV we'll save the planet as if anything we do one way or the other will have any impact lol.

Yes this is my last EV until I can decide what to do with it in October.

• Advertisement

Guess you won't be using anything with batteries then. Phone, computers, lead-acid batteries and alternatives.

Probably not no more than most people that want need them but trying to make out EV is some planet saving technology is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

A6 Avant or Arteon estate. Don't bother with hybrid

Definitely diesel with that mileage, one with decent power.

Estates are a dying breed, if you can find one they are far more practical than crossovers which are usually taller heavier hatches.

I wouldn't mind an Estate myself, herself has an outlander, grand and all but it's a barge and hates bends but good motorway cruiser. Maybe the newer ones are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

I think that over the lifetime of the vehicle if you can charge at home with a large portion of it being solar it is probably the greenest option overall, especially newer cobalt free EV's.

Yeah, I heard Eamon ryan on this morning with his burning planet statement telling us that electric cars are a big part of the solution however this is fine but he ignores the environmental issues such as the amount of fresh water needed for lithium production, around 2 million litres for a tonne of lithium, a tonne is enough for 100 electric cars. The contamination to wells, rivers and stream, is this acceptable for the sake of Co2 ? bearing in mining it takes time for an EV to break even on Co2 but is it just Co2 the greens and IPCC care about ?

There's also the fact we're paying so much for carbon tax which seems to be far more than our contribution to so called anthropogenic warming would suggest we should pay given our tiny size but the Government stance, " Ireland will lead the fight against climate change" no matter the cost to the Irish people. They are beyond insane!

A company wanted to mine the lithium from Mount Leinster area, there was local opposition, it got canned, but why doesn't mr ryan bring them back and tell them they can mine all the lithium the want ? why can't we tolerate the destruction on our own door step but it's ok for other countries to endure it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

I’m not making excuses for or saying lithium mining shouldn’t be cleaned up, but some context:

about 2000 litres of water is required to make the cotton for a pair of jocks ( based on 10,000l per Kg)

Oil production has been polluting water and air for years, I can only guess at the actual numbers and environmental impact.

Apologies for going off topic again, but seeing this stuff repeated in multiple threads.

Just spamming every thread with the same stuff over and over it at this point.

See Nobbys done a review of another diesel.

Is cotton production toxic like lithium ? the process of mining lithium contaminates water because it's toxic.

We have industry that contaminates but the issue here is that why are politicians/IPCC promoting electric car battery production ignoring the other environmental issues ?

As I said earlier. if it's so good why not exploit the lithium around Mount Leinster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭electricus

Fertiliser, herbicides, and pesticides during cultivation followed by bleaching and treatment of the cotton is all quite polluting. Not as bad as extracting lithium , but oil and fossil fuel extraction is worse again - then we burn it and mine more. EV Lithium batteries on the other hand can be reused for a very long time making it the preferred option.

There are also some alternatives to lithium ion batteries (based on sodium, aluminium, etc.) close to being viable for EV use. Even with them, some will still prefer burning oil to move around.

Hopefully if lithium ore from Mt. Leinster is processed here it will be done in an environmentally safe and sustainable manner, no reason why it couldn’t aside from cost. In reality, any ore extracted will be exported unprocessed.

Anyway, this off topic stuff doesn’t really help answer the OP question. The answer to that should also be based on efficiency and overall cost.

Post edited by electricus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Well that was fast, picked up an r line estate yesterday evening.

What a car! Will take a bit of getting used to the touch pads for heating etc but looking forward to churning up the motorways next week.

Have only driven it home yet but a happy camper. The kids love the panoramic roof which I wasn’t expecting to get

Advertisement