Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid or diesel

Options
  • 16-03-2024 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Quick one, getting a new company car and have been told to go and start looking.

Not long in the job but from talking to others will average around 60k-70k kms per year. Currently at 20k km since January.

The car will double up as a family car so thinking estate due to the amount of stuff I carry during the week and for family trips. Have 3 kids 9,8 and 6.

Currently in a 1.6 superb saloon great car but not much in the way of power

I know there is a new superb coming out but also like the arteon shooting brake and the kodiaq and the a6 avant.

Would I hybrid suit the mileage, it’s mostly motorway and n roads?

any others to consider? Not worried about bik as I do big miles so will always be in the lower bracket of corresponding emission value.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Kind of similar myself here, I’m leaning towards diesel tbh, if the fast chargers were cheaper it might be worth it but I’m not sure if it really is,

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Diesel, hybrid are pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

diesel for me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If your doing that sort of high mileage daily and annually then I think diesel is a no brainer. I cannot see a hybrid giving you a range of up to 1000 km on a tank of fuel. Also VAT cannot claimed back on petrol, only on diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Make sure to select the option of a large fuel tank if it exists - some cars have (or certainly had) smaller fuel tanks as the default option so that when they were tested for emissions with the tank half full, it would give a saving of a few kilograms and could knock it into the lower tax bracket. Adding the larger tank (if it's an option) is normally free.

What's your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Get a diesel if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 11,521 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Diesel. Shouldn't have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Driving full EV over 2 years, never looked back. But if had to go back to ICE would be diesel 100%!

I think it should depend on your journey type. My short journeys don't suit diesel. Whereas the OP suits a diesel 100% with a very large tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

That sort of mileage 100% diesel.

if you want a diesel with a bit of power it will have to be a , VAG , Merc, BMW , Any of these in wagon form are nice.

Aerteon, e-class , 5 series , A6.

1st extra that should be on your list is being an Automatic. you will never look back.

id go take them all for a spin, an E-Class Merc would be the most comfortable motorway muncher there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Plug in hybrid will be cheaper on BIK but will cost more to purchase. I did the math when i changed car in August 2022. I would only be saving about 20 quid a month from my take home and have to put up with the shorter time between fills due to smaller fuel tank. Diesel for less drama...

Phev would (IMO) only make sense if you are going to use the electric only range a lot. Like you drive locally on electric 90% of the time but then do a regular long trip but less often. Basically not what the OP is doing.

You could make a case for an EV if you had available cheap charging for the majority of your driving. Cant see that for the OP either. Or want to save on fuel. But probably aren't paying for the fuel anyway, so why bother.

A diesel with 1000km or so of range. It's exactly what the superb is best at. Maybe an Audi. Probably the Superb is the more spacious car. Especially in the rear seats for 3 kids. With 3 kids the other option would be a SUV/MPV. Which if was mainly a family car might be a better choice. But for work, the Superb is the better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

Thanks folks, yeah was half thinking on the bik with the hybrid but the more I think of it diesel suits way better.

one of the guys has an a6 hybrid and is constantly putting petrol into it.

I don’t think the budget goes to an a6 merc or bmw so vw or Skoda I think.

current car is an auto, driving the wife’s manual today for the first time in months, safe to say I’ll never buy a manual again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

Škoda superb will be best value with plenty of space for the kids and if you spec it high with things like adaptive suspension, adaptive cruise and the 180 or 200 bhp 2L diesels it will be much better than a base spec A6 or 5series as youel mentioned they may not be in budget.

Post edited by djan on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Audi A6 Avant (Diesel of course) is the car for you. It ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

OP,what's your budget? A6 avant is a fantastic car. Performance, comfort, reliability, road presence.

Can your budget stretch that far? If you state the budget it's easier to suggest good options.

At 50k+ miles per year, I'd be in nothing but an automatic diesel big comfy car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭goochy

Some mileage you will have to drive car into gro

Ground

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

It's a company car according to the OP, so mileage shouldn't matter as most will be changed at 3 years.

It's a nice problem to have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

I’ll check on the budget but around the 55-60k mark I think. I’d love an A6 but can’t see that happening even with an ex demo model.

agreed it’s a nice problem to have, I’ll be dreading retirement in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've just had a quick look at new A6 prices and I'd bet there's movement on price available on them. I can't see them selling at what they are asking for, try a few places and you may get lucky.

Failing that id just get the very best example of a Skoda superb or Arteon that you can. Id have them over the equivalent SUV from Skoda/VW. I have spent a bit of time in VW dealership recently and the Arteon was the nicest machine in there by a distance.

They'll be prob nicer than the cheapest A6 which seems to be all you'll get near.

Doing that mileage you will be glad to retire in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I have been trying to figure the phev out fuel wise,

70000km = 270 km per working day.

new skoda Superb Combi phev,https://www.skoda-auto.com/models/range/superb-combi#iV no idea on price, its new.

25kwh battery, I don't know the usable assume around 20kwh, 100km range, I would believe its entirely possible to get 100km from it,

petrol consumption is difficult to estimate, https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/skoda/octavia-2013/15-tsi-150 gives a 1.5 l petrol as 44 mpg or 6.4l/100km, say 7 l/100mpg or 40 mpg,

So 100km = 3.08 euro (22 kwh @0.14 plus 10% charging loss) and 170km @ 20.60 euro (7 x 1.73 x 170km) =23.70 euro for the phev.

the 2l tdi is 56mpg or 5 l/100km x 270km = 23.50 euro

50 cent per working day in favour of the diesel version.

I have no idea of your daily commutes or BIK, I would think there is room in favour of the phev, I don't know if you go back to the office for 3 hours and head out again with a fully charged 100 km or what, charging out and about would need to be under 40 cents to break even with the diesel its about 55 cents atm, day units would @ 29 cent would save around 2.30 euro per 100 km and a saving of 5.50 on night rate.

a 45 litre tank would last only 3.5 days doing 270km.

It's very unlikely too be a set 270km/day though. If it was, then an EV would make sense.

Having had PHEV you do need to be mindful of how you drive to maximise range. Obviously everyone should be driving in that relaxed manner the whole time, but when it's your day job it's extremely tiring to be trying to anticipate traffic even before the driver in front of you does, so as not to ever brake too hard and lose regen, or accelerate just a little to hard and have the engine kick in.

And lets be honest, who cares when it's someone else footing the fuel bill. Just hop in the car, stick on active cruise and let it brake if it needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

100km on electric ? Don't think so : some online reviews have it at about 60km.

OP - diesel, end of. Nothing else is 'there', just yet.........in 3 years time when you're asking again, might be a whole new ballgame.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I know its unlikely, its an average, I would suggest he look into his driving a little bit more as it stands there is nothing between a diesel and that phev in fuel costs, with a bigger battery phev, achieving an average of 100 km would be easier than minding a 6 kwh battery phev.

I don't know how many cars in the fleet nor how much of a saving that could be achieved, 1 car saving a 1000 euro is 10000 after 10 years, 10 cars a 100k, it adds up.

link?

Maybe your mixing it up with the older version and its stated 60 km range, the newer version has the same size battery as the nissan leaf which done 95 km highway in cold weather.

I would not dismiss the car without some further investigation.

I'm a big fan of PHEV over ICE (given the minimal extra cost to buy, and it suited me), and I'm currently in the market for a BEV

But to achieve any advertised range takes a lot of care in any EV - which just isn't comfortable to do when it's your day job - and someone else is paying.

I'm no BIK expert, but at that milage I understand the difference is negligible anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Doing that much mileage , the last thing you want be doing every on top of it would be , minding a short range battery, I imagine long days, and waiting for something to charge would do my nut in.

An Aerteon , with a dsg, 150 or 200bhp don’t think it would matter at speed which one.

nice seats, adaptive cruise, auto lights, nice sound system,. Relax and chill.

Advertisement