Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Though you don't have to buy the swings or roundabouts, a top of the range printer might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

People might not appreciate such tactics which may go against him and the party in general. Going into a GE with no sitting TDs wouldn't be a good look for them, it might not make a difference to him but could for other candidates. It would also prove that the "party" is a one-man-band and that they can't find any other credible candidates.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Other candidates that aren't his siblings.

His replacement list will be interesting. I'd be certain the first replacement will be his sister

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I too was wondering what Tóibín wanted to achieve by going for MNW.
    Going on the list above we really have very poor quality candidates.

Can one be an MEP & TD at the same time? Surely if did win in June, & stood in the next GE, he’d have to resign the MEP seat?

Or am I reading this all wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You can't be both. If you step down as a TD there will be a by election. But if you step down as an MEP there's a list you supply of alternates, and the first alternate will get your spot.

Same happened when Mairead McGuinness stepped down to become commissioner, Colm Market took over. Think the same for sinn fein.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You nominate a replacement list when running as MEP. It can be quite funny when a no-hoper lists ten replacements.

SF have nearly run out of potential replacements before due to them getting elected or leaving the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not sure how much money you think MEPs get paid but it's not "I'm going to funnel all my surplus money into expanding my political party back home" money.

If he gets elected that's the last we're hear of him, much like we never hear about any of our MEPs (unless they're praising dictators or appearing in meetings without wearing any trousers).

Irish MEPs averaged expenses of avg 120k, largely unvouched, a year and had 25k a month allowance for staff, office etc.

Excluding wage or severance.

Its not a small sum either. It would allow full time staff for the party.

I also do not currently have trousers on.

The leaders allowance plus normal TD PA and SA payments would be lost; so the total increase isn't huge.

It certainly can't replace being on conventional media as leader of an oireachtas party constantly

• Advertisement

There are downsides but 9 months on those expenses and him travelling to every town in Ireland..

There are risks but he could drive things forward as well. It might have benefits as well.

What we'll see is FF voter party discipline implode, Lisa Chambers representing the Michael Martin wing of the party, well heeled, on trend, right sort of job and family vs the part of the party Martin absolutely hates, the callused hands, bog trotters and attending the local Easter week commemorative event for Grand daddy and the old brigade.

They'll agree territory and be canvassing the others part in a week.

If he's travelling to every town in Ireland as an MEP, he won't get the expenses because that requires attendance

He already turns up at every random local reps event, due to being a one man show, but you can't do that in Europe

It would be the death of the party if he got elected, but it would fund five years of back office. Just like zombie Renua after 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

He admits he is using this to push his party, he has no intention of staying in Europe.

You also don't appear to realise how pi**ed people are.

Maybe you believe people will go back to old party alliances or that they won't be bothered going out to vote?

Because otherwise you have a lot of voters that want to kick the established parties.

Yes people voted no on these referendums for all sorts of reasons, including fact they are really pi**ed with government, all political parties as noticable by high No in SF voting areas and they are pi**ed with mainstream media.

The same media that will be trying to work out how the seats are going to be broken down by traditional parties.

I am just saying his old style catholicism appeals to some older voters.

It is anti migration and republican credentials that will get him elected I believe.

True Herman Kelly can have a bearing here as a lot of people will give him a vote as well.

Some people don't appear to grasp how some towns in West and Northwest have had the fabric of their communities changed forever and the main political parties are behind it with local politicians for those parties doing nothing but toeing the line set in some office in Dublin.

Other towns are looking at this not ending and the chance that they may be next as nothing is being done to end the numbers.

Even if you leave out migration, the cost of living is going up day by day as evidenced by price of fuel. And this is a constituency where most people have to drive to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Good loser

Heard Toibin on Saturday RTE today. He must be the most exposed TD (in the media) in the Dail. He is tiresome in the extreme, full throated opposition to everything the Govt does and even if not political (as today traffic accidents) he always manufactures some spurious link. He is really dining out on the two referendums, dredging up linkages from some barrell or other that's always full.

I met someone recently who would consider voting his Party - on the religious angle. Personally I can't stand the guy and don't think he has any interesting political opinions.

( today also not surprisingly he was totally opposed to the new carbon tax increase - no nuance, just opposition.)

Ciaran Mullooly possibly running for Independent Ireland (nearly said II, but that initialism was used for another party before that even the current IndI would really not want to be associated with) in MNW.

Going to be a heavily split vote and a loooooong count I suspect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Time (too late) to do computer counting - it will take weeks to count these metre long ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Former RTÉer Ciaran Mullooly is set to run for Independent Ireland in MNW

Current MEP Luke ‘Ming’ Flanagan has remarked on the development on X, stating:

“I see that I’m now running against two RTE ‘Stars’. Pay the licence fee. To nurture the careers of future politicians.”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I’m in this constituency, and trying to find out how many declared nominations.

You are right it is going to be a long long count.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 LetticebCivil

Mulloooly is a popular man in Longford/Roscommon. He will for sure take a good few thousand votes off the other Independents.

• Advertisement

Rumours of Niall Boylan running, somewhere - not guaranteed to be Dublin as his show is on air in a decent area of South also, as well as MNW.

Would almost certainly have to go off-air to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 LetticebCivil

Would he clock up the majority of the Casey vote from last time out?

Or its equivalent in another constituency yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Midlands is a brute to predict.

Would assume Ming is safe enough, Mc Manus would have preferred this election was 12 months ago when SF were hotter but would be shocked if he did not get in. Barry Cowen probably should be ok but would not be betting the life savings!

So then what's left!

Nina Carberry could crawl in , Maria Walsh is very much up against it, Peader has a big chance but its 50/50,,,Ciaran Mullooly don't know much about but you reckon he has a presence to make an impact?

Rory Hearne running but don't see it, Herman Kelly will make noise online but would be a massive shock. I see John Walters is also running? Surely he has no chance? If you are right wing and not a fan of the government surely their are enough serious alternatives without having to vote for him?

I don't like Peader and his policies but not the end of the world if was to win, Waters wins and I am emigrating !🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

At least we can vote Mick Wallace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I belive Ian Paisley was an MEP, an MP and an MLA, at the same time?

Before the end of those dual mandates yeah.

You can't do any doubling up in ROI, there are some allowances in the UK still. When they still had MEPs before Brexit a few were also Lords

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If PT got MEP seat in June 2024, there would have to be a by-election in Meath the following month?

Would Aontú be assured of getting their candidate elected to replace him?

genuine question: how is Flanagan safe? Mullooley will surely eat into his votes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Maria Walsh has done absolutely nothing since she was parachuted in by FG, that’s why she’s in trouble. As for Nina carberry, I’m hopeful people will start.to finally cop on to these “names” shoved in by the by the parties

Advertisement