Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an employer get a potential employee to take a language proficiency test before hiring them.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And here we go again! I am fully aware of the various language courses, exams and visa requirements for third countries and so on because it was part of my job for a long time.

But we are not talking about advanced knowledge, university education and high level language requirements here. We are talking about the vast army of people need to take care of those in poor on a daily basis in homes, hospitals and like institutions through out the EEA and expecting them to jump through your hoops when there are plenty of opportunity for them else where is just nonsense. You only have to look at the exodus from the NHS after they got "BREXIT Done" which way the market flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Yes, here we go again. You are claiming that the sh1t-show that is normal in Ireland is typical of the rest of Europe. Having had to deal with care staff with pidgin english in Irish care homes and hospitals in recent weeks I have no time for your denial of the very serious problem that is obvious for all to see. Your condescension doesn't win any arguments. You are just unfortunate that this time you have come across someone who knows the topic and has themselves had to prepare for, take and pass mandatory language competency tests. You have a decades long reputation of treating other users shabbily on this forum so let's just agree to differ...you can maintain your notions and I will rely upon what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You don't appear to understand the difference between a visa and a work permit, which really isn't a good place to be starting your claims of superior knowledge from.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement